Need Help on Small Gift Ideas for a 10-14 Yr. Old Boy

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a gift box for a 10-14 yr. old boy for Christmas. Items have to be small enough to fit inside a shoe box with several other things. My two boys are under 3, so I have no idea what a boy in that age group would like. My husband isn't much help; I guess he was never really into kids things. Does anyone have any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Books. Small video games (baseball, card games, etc. at walmart under $10), playing cards and games like Phase 10 or UNO, snacks like jerky, trail mix, candy... T-shirts, socks, gift cards, DVD's, CD's, cologne, toothbrushes, combs, hair care stuff (gel, men's shampoo), magazines (sports, hunting, skateboarding)... Lots of options. Boys this age are beginning to care about their appearance, are into social activities and are noticing girls. The book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens" by Sean Covey is a good self help book for teenagers and there are others like it out there. Have fun shopping.

Depending on the money you want to spend? you could do a small digital camera or a PSP???? You could always fall back on music CDs or games OR a VISA gift card that they can use anywhere.

Another great item for almost any age boy is a hoodie sweatshirt, either zip up or pull over. My 16year old can't get enough and my 6 year old grandson tried to wear them through the summer.

Sounds like Operation Chistmas child. Thanks for your support. Think about a baseball and a baseball glove. It would be great to send a soccer ball but only if you can find a hand pump small enough to fit in the box. I also like the ideas of shirts and underwear. Maybe even some flip-flops or slippers. Remember most of the kids have never had any presents.

You are doing Operation Christmas Child!!! How wonderful of you!!! I am the co-chair of our church's OCC project..each year we try to fill at least 75 - 100 boxes...in fact next week is our pack a shoe box party.
Here are a few of the things that we always put in our childrens boxes....
School Supplies ( these are a first priority for Samaritans purse)...pens,pencils, crayons, markers, erasers, spiral notebook, ruler, pencil sharpener,glue stick
Personal Hygiene Items..Bar soap, wash rag, comb,toothbrush and toothpaste
Toys for an older boy could include hot wheel cars, small ball, set of jacks,temporary tattoos, slinky,go to McDonalds and see if they have any of their left over happy meal toys that you could put in...
Clothing we try to include either a pair of sock, underwear, a stocking cap and gloves...
And I always top it off with a large sandwich bag of candy. Also....include a picture of your family in a Christmas card. You might also want to put a note in there with your email address and snail mail address....last year we actually heard from a mother in Mongolia who's daughters received our shoeboxes and responded to the note I had put in each box!!!
God bless you for starting at such an early age, teaching your boys about sharing with others.
R. Ann

Yay for OCC!!! I always had trouble with the older boy category too. Great advice from the one who is helping at her church.

Operation Christmas Child is so great isn't it? As the mother of four boys, this is what I would recommend: a small handheld game with batteries, several small cars, a comb, brush and sample sized deodorant, etc. (this makes them feel very grown up), bubble gum, a small activity book like Sudoku (since you do not know what language the child may speak) with a pencil and a pencil sharpener. Also, baseball caps and t-shirts (I would suggest M to L)are fun at this age too. A small sized baseball or football works great too! A deck of cards is fun as well. Hope this helps!

I date a man with a 10 year old boy. His FAVORITE thing to do is to play his Nintendo DS. It is a small handheld device with 2-screens. You can get a lot of games for it.
He can play by the hours if we'd let him. The machine is over $100 and it is the FAVORITE of ALL.

Is this for an Operation Christmas Child box ?
Our church is very involved in this organization. School supplies are great. So are small cars, hard candies (no chocolate or candies that will melt). Please be sure all candies are individualy wrapped and placed in snack size baggies. No "war" or aggressive type toys. Small tools are helpful, too, like small hammers and nails, screwdrivers, etc. Hygene items are great, just don't send anything liquid. Toothpaste is ok, but please put it in a baggie. Toothbrushes, soap, wash cloths,combs and brushes etc. Try to not send anything that requires batteries. Most of these kids will not be able to replace them.
I didn't look at your profile, so I don't know where you live, but I do know that most boxes in the southwestern Missouri area go to cold areas of the world, so hats, gloves and scarves are appropriate and appreciated.

Be sure to include a nice card with your box, and you may even want to include your name and address because some of these children are able (and are encouraged) to write back to you and thank you personally.

May God bless you as you bless a child with a gift that will help him understand God's most precious gift for him.

PS .... (Allow me to give a shout out to my church who have just filled over 400 boxes !! Woo Hoo !! Way to go guys !)

I-tunes gift card, most kids that age have an mp3 player or an ipod...my son loves his i-tunes gift cards. visa gift card purchased at walmart, then they can buy what they want. This age is hard, small sample sized colognes, gift card for movie/game rental place. Gift cards seem to be the general theme, sorry I'm not more creative.

1 / 3