Need Help on Meal Ideas for My 11 Month Old.

My son is about to be 11 months old in a few days and has been so over his formula for a long time now and he is not interested anymore in his jar food. He wants everything we are eating. I have started him on whole milk this week and he has been doing great on that. I have also started him on some canned veggies like peas and carrots for dinner and he is liking that as well. One of my problems is that he is getting his teeth in really slow cause he only has his two bottom teeth and that is IT!!! So I feel like he is really limited on what he can eat. But I am really trying to get him on more solid foods so any tips, advice or ideas for meals is appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice and ideas. I got alot of great new meal ideas and I will be trying them!

The canned veggies and canned fruits work great. My daughter didn't care for the baby food either. You can cook chicken really well and cut it up into small pieces. Well cooked pasta, or mac and cheese work well. My daughter like chicken noodle soup too. The gerber graduates have those chicken sticks that most kids like. They are also really soft and mushy. Even if he gets more teeth, it takes a while for them to really learn how to chew. However, their gag reflex is really strong, so they get to be pretty good about gumming it up before swallowing. Best of luck.

I would try scrambled eggs cut into really small pieces. My kids loved them. Also ground beef and tiny pieces of shred chicken.
Jen D.-Frisco

I was told not to worry about the teeth. They don't get their back teeth until they are almost 2, and they are eating almost everything by then. They learn to gum everything.

Here's our list:

I sometimes mash up crackers, cheerios or graham crackers (the honey is not dangerous in these) and roll bananas and other slippery things in it.

frozen peas (FAVORITE!) Straight out of the bag still frozen, they're tender, almost melt (we call them green baseballs!)

frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, melon, cherries, raspberries - he eats tons and tons of these - you might have to thaw for a few minutes, they're harder, or run under water for a sec)

canned corn, peas, beans, lima beans, garbanzo beans

black olives (sliced)

pickled okra

Multigrain Cheerios

Bumpers Peanut Butter Cereal (be careful with peanuts)

scrambled eggs (another favorite, sometimes I put a little squash or sweet potato baby food in with the eggs - I do this with everything for my family to sneak in some more veggies, and they never even know)

Multigrain Club Crackers

baby marshmallows

Granola Bites and Morning Minis

grapes

bananas

pumpkin muffins

chicken vienna sausages (they have nitrates, so I go easy)

organic cheese puffs

grilled cheese (I mix grated cheese w/ sweet potato baby food and a little butter to make a paste and spread it on - he likes this on crackers, too)

frozen pancakes

bagels with cream cheese (my family loves Bagelfuls)

pasta

Hopefully, this gives you some ideas. I have trouble thinking outside of the same old foods, too!

A great book: "Feed Me, I'm Yours" by Vicki Lanski

I highly recommend the site savingdinner.com and Leanne's baby food menu for more ideas to feed your little one. The recipes are great and go through the stages just like jarred food and you know exactly what's in it.

On the topic of the amount of teeth and what your baby can eat: his gums are VERY strong (have you ever had him gnaw on your finger with just his gums?). Anyway, things like noodles, chunks of tofu and avocado, chunky mashed potatoes, canned fruits and veggies (or fruits and veggies you've prepared yourself to make them a bit mushier), would all be great choices to start him on.

He is interested in what you're eating and is certainly trying to tell you that he's ready for some more texture! My now two-year-old never did like mushy baby food; she refused to eat anything (anything that wasn't breastmilk, and not from a bottle) until she was about seven months old and I gave her cheerios. She wouldn't even eat applesauce, but she loved cooked apples and softer foods like avocados.

I hope you can get some ideas from this:). God bless,
Loni

you might try taking your dinner and pureeing it. Baby food tastes nasty and it sounds like she is ready for flavor. I did this with goulash and it worked great. With few teeth you have to be careful of choaking so big pieces are potentially dangerous. I made all of my kids "baby" food, there is a book called "Super Baby Foods" that is wonderful. I would freeze the pureed food in Ice Cube trays then it was easy to take to daycare or out on trips. Good luck.

My son is so over baby food too so I can relate! You would be surprised what he will be able to manage with some hard gums and two teeth.

My 11 month old is really into:
- blueberries, strawberries, black berries
- diced canned peaches and pears (not in a syrup)
- canned green peas, cut up green beans and cut up carrots (no salt added)
- small cubes of cheese
- tiny pieces of toast
- freeze dried fruits and veggies
-mashed or diced potatoes/sweet potatoes/butternut squash
-a mini-quesadilla with cheese
-guacamole
- spiral shaped pasta cut up
- cheerios
- little pieces of banana and avocado
- cottage cheese, whole milk plain yogurt and ricotta cheese with fruit
- canned crushed pineapple in its own juice
- ravioli filled with meat or cheese
- Annie's pasta with tomato sauce
- dried breadsticks, cut up
- hard boiled egg
- shredded (moist) chicken breast
- "baby" meatloaf, homemade with organic beef and no salt
- eggs scrambled very dry and diced
- Ian's organic fish sticks and chicken nuggets
- Puffets (in the freezer section at Target)
- Gerber meat sticks
- occasionally he gets a prepackaged meal from Gerber or Beachnut for toddlers or a toddler snack bar

Hope this helps! :-)

Hi Kristen!!! I would say, first of all, don't worry about the teeth. The gums are so strong and that's what they chew with. He should be able to eat anything you eat, just avoid peanut butter, strawberrys, and honey. Finger foods like carrots and peas and green beans (the frozen bags work great) are easy to prepare and he can feed himself (plus you can cook just a small amount if needed). Lasangna, pasta, cassaroles...whatever you cook he can eat. I do lots of fruit and vegies. Example- breakfast: banana, toast with butter or a whole wheat waffle with butter and milk. lunch-turkey deli meat torn up, carrots and peas. snack-cheese and apple slices. dinner-chicken and vegies or pasta.

just experiment....one day he may love something and the next day he may hate it!!

i really hope this helps you, good luck.

Try some deli meats as they will be easier to chew. Turkey or chicken. My oldest would sit and eat chopped tomatoes for ever when we would go out (9 months old) Mixed fresh fruit would be great too. Yea! They grow up so fast.

First Meals by Anabel Karmel is an excellent book with great ideas for meal ideas. It has gorgeous full color pictures & its published by Dorling Kindersley. I used this with my 3 kids and more often than not, they loved everything I made. My oldest wanted to feed himself at that age, no help from mom. Your son may be the same. Lots of finger foods in bite sized pieces are great.

I second what the other posters said, it's more work for you, be he'll be better off in the long run with organic (when available), whole foods made at home as opposed to jarred food. Whole Foods market sometimes has a "Make your own baby food" class, check out your nearest one to see if it's available, or just ask them.

I don't know where you are located, but in Plano on Parker & Preston a new market called Sunflower Farmer's Market opened. It's similar to Sprouts Market, only has a way bigger selection of ogranic foods at a great price, plus great sales.

SAHM of 3 kids, ages 7, 5 & 3.

1 / 3