Need Help Getting the Smell of Vomit Out of Couch

Does anyone know how to get the smell of vomit out of furniture and carpet? We had some friends over last night and one of their girls got sick on our couch and rug. We used a carpet cleaner last night, but it still smells really bad. I am going to try vinegar and water right now, but does anyone know of anything else to try? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who responded to help us get rid of the smell. I got the smell out! I first used baking soda to and let it sit for awhile before I vacuumed it up. That didn't work so well. Then I tried a mix of vinegar and water and sprayed it onto the rug...it worked!! It was great! As for the couch, I just put the covers and the pillows in the wash...that worked too! Thanks again for all of your help!

FOLEX, you can get it anywhere and its not expensive. Spray it on and wait at least 5 minutes. It has enzymes that literally "eat" the bacteria. I swear by this stuff. My dog ate poop one day and got sick from it. He puked on my brand new carpet...i was sooooo grossed out. So I had vomit and poopie in my carpet. I used the carpet machine hand tool first and got all the debris out. I then sprayed Folex and waited. I did this twice and there was absolutly no odor or stain left whatsoever. Im very anal when it comes to my carpets being clean. Folex is good for blood too, it gets out everything...smell and all. And it will not ruin fabrics.

there is a non-toxic product called "back-out" it works great for smells, stains on clothing carpet, etc. Can't think of the company, biowise or similar. But it is made from Lime and enzymes so it is safe to use around kids and pets and it works! Good luck.

Hi S.-
You may find this pretty funny, but my mother-in-law swears by it-- try using a douche. It's meant for bad odors, right?? When my husband was younger and they would go on long car rides, he would get sick and she always kept a douche handy to get it cleaned up. ( I havent't personally used it but she says it works great)

Try dumping baking soda on it and let it sit a bit. It worked when our Christmas tree fell over a few years ago and all the stale water ended up on my carpet.

"Nature's miracle" works great with pet smells so I'm sure it will work with barf. Also, Oxy-clean has a good spray as well.
Hope this helps!

Greetings -- you may wish to visit a pet supply store and buy "Nature's Miracle" -- it is an enzyme based product with nothing toxic in it -- and it works on everything!
Oakland

Baking soda is great for smells. Make a thick paste and cake it on the area and just let it sit for several hours. It usually works.

+B+

Try Feebreeze, it seems to get out most smells.

I have had a lot of luck with Pure Ayre. Goore's sells it but it is much cheaper on line. I usually get it at drugstore.com. Also, I have had good luck with Babyganics. Goore's also sells it but it is also cheaper online.

Get one of the enzyme cleaners for pet urine from the pet store. I have used Natures Miracles and some others for pet pee and kid pee and anything "organic" ie; anything from the body. The enzymes actually eat the gunk and until you get that the smell will remain. Good luck!

My daughter just had the stomach flu and i had to clean it up on beds and carpets. Vinegar, baking soda and a little Meyers All Purpose Cleaner in Lavender totally did the trick- I was so surprised. But I also did it immediately which helped. I just let the vinegar soak with the baking soda on top and then vacuumed it up after it dried.

1 / 3