Need Help Getting the Smell of Vomit Out of Couch

Does anyone know how to get the smell of vomit out of furniture and carpet? We had some friends over last night and one of their girls got sick on our couch and rug. We used a carpet cleaner last night, but it still smells really bad. I am going to try vinegar and water right now, but does anyone know of anything else to try? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who responded to help us get rid of the smell. I got the smell out! I first used baking soda to and let it sit for awhile before I vacuumed it up. That didn't work so well. Then I tried a mix of vinegar and water and sprayed it onto the rug...it worked!! It was great! As for the couch, I just put the covers and the pillows in the wash...that worked too! Thanks again for all of your help!

FOLEX, you can get it anywhere and its not expensive. Spray it on and wait at least 5 minutes. It has enzymes that literally "eat" the bacteria. I swear by this stuff. My dog ate poop one day and got sick from it. He puked on my brand new carpet...i was sooooo grossed out. So I had vomit and poopie in my carpet. I used the carpet machine hand tool first and got all the debris out. I then sprayed Folex and waited. I did this twice and there was absolutly no odor or stain left whatsoever. Im very anal when it comes to my carpets being clean. Folex is good for blood too, it gets out everything...smell and all. And it will not ruin fabrics.

there is a non-toxic product called "back-out" it works great for smells, stains on clothing carpet, etc. Can't think of the company, biowise or similar. But it is made from Lime and enzymes so it is safe to use around kids and pets and it works! Good luck.

Hi S.-
You may find this pretty funny, but my mother-in-law swears by it-- try using a douche. It's meant for bad odors, right?? When my husband was younger and they would go on long car rides, he would get sick and she always kept a douche handy to get it cleaned up. ( I havent't personally used it but she says it works great)

Try dumping baking soda on it and let it sit a bit. It worked when our Christmas tree fell over a few years ago and all the stale water ended up on my carpet.

"Nature's miracle" works great with pet smells so I'm sure it will work with barf. Also, Oxy-clean has a good spray as well.
Hope this helps!

Greetings -- you may wish to visit a pet supply store and buy "Nature's Miracle" -- it is an enzyme based product with nothing toxic in it -- and it works on everything!
Oakland

Baking soda is great for smells. Make a thick paste and cake it on the area and just let it sit for several hours. It usually works.

+B+

Try Feebreeze, it seems to get out most smells.

I have had a lot of luck with Pure Ayre. Goore's sells it but it is much cheaper on line. I usually get it at drugstore.com. Also, I have had good luck with Babyganics. Goore's also sells it but it is also cheaper online.

Get one of the enzyme cleaners for pet urine from the pet store. I have used Natures Miracles and some others for pet pee and kid pee and anything "organic" ie; anything from the body. The enzymes actually eat the gunk and until you get that the smell will remain. Good luck!

My daughter just had the stomach flu and i had to clean it up on beds and carpets. Vinegar, baking soda and a little Meyers All Purpose Cleaner in Lavender totally did the trick- I was so surprised. But I also did it immediately which helped. I just let the vinegar soak with the baking soda on top and then vacuumed it up after it dried.

You can try pouring baking soda and just letting it sit overnight and then vacuuming it up the next morning. You may have to keep repeating it a few times. I've used this method on carpets for other smelly accidents as well.

If the fabric can be removed (zip around the cushions?), run it through the gentle cycle in your washer. If the pillows can be removed, put them outside (I'd also air dry the fabric if you run it through). The outdoor air can do wonders. I'd also try some Febreze. Both of our kids had a stomach bug recently and that really helped get rid of much of the smell.

I think pet stain remover is good for other things, I believe it contains enzymes to eat up the nastiness. Be really careful what you use, however, don't want to bleach out the carpet and couch!! Folex is a good carpet stain product, not sure of how well it removes odors.

I have heard that vinegar works. Or you could try pouring baking soda on it, let it sit and vacuum up... the last thing I would suggest would be soda (ginger ale or something). My brother threw up in our car and then accidentally spilled his soda. My mom swears that that is what kept the car from ever stinking like puke!

Capture is a great cleaner for carpet and couches. I used it in my car (we bought a car that had been smoked in - tried so many other "smelly" remedies and things to no avail). Capture was amazing. Most carpet/flooring stores carry it. I've never seen it at one of the big box stores (but I haven't really looked either). My mom uses capture on her stairs which seems to get more soiled than the other carpet. Takes out all sorts of "stains."

I would try something like Nature's Miracle that you can get at a pet store. It's good at getting out natural enzymes, so it'll probably work. It works great on urine, feces, and blood.

we use nature's miracle from the pet store. it's an enzyme, also works GREAT on clothing stains.

I've used Nature's Miracle to clean all sorts of kid "accidents", including vomit from my old couch - 3 kids and the couch lasted 13 years!

Nature's miracle enzymes work really, you can find it at pet stores, amd works great for pee or poo accidnets from kids or pets
good luck

Try Oxyclean- it will totally work!!

I've used a company called Chem Dry in Texas. They are a chain, so may be in this area as well. They have a treatment specifically to treat urine/feces, so I would assume it could work on vomit as well. I used the special treatment on a spot in my son's room and felt it worked well.

I know this sounds crazy, but have you tried Natures Miracle. It is a pet stain and smell remover. You can get it at a locat pet store. All though I haven't used it on vomit, I have used it for all my animal needs. I had cat who used to urinate when she got upset, which was alot. This stuff worked great. Natures Miracle was just a suggestion if all else fails. Good Luck

you might try "Simple solution" I use it for my puppy. It says its for vomit too. I get it from my pet shop and it comes in a spray bottle. (It's for puppy accidents) Good luck!

I have heard Nature's Miracle works really well. I know you can buy it at pet supply stores.

Petsmart has a really good product for animal urine which would work for vomit too. It has the word nature in the brand name but I can't remember the rest.

try adding baking soda to the vinegar and water!

Hi S.. What worked for me was using a steam cleaner that had scent in the soap then spraying the couch with lysol. Good luck,,,it's gross huh!!

I agree with Catherine A. My daughter vomited all over our leather couch when she had the stomach flu last years and even after washing it with soap and water it still smelled horrible! I called my mom I she suggested baking soda and water. I wiped it a few times with a strong mixture then with clear water and the smell was gone. I have also used this on carpet for pet vomit and urine.
Sincerely,

Hi S.-

hi,

try a cleaner with enzymes!

A. m

Sprinkle baking soda (Arm & Hammer) on the spots and let sit for a day. Then vacuum up. That should take the smell out.