Need HELP for Severe Diaper Rash/yeast Infection

My 20-month-old developed a double ear infection and has been put on Omniceft for 10 days. A side effect of the meds is that he has very loose stools MULTIPLE times a day and his bottom is getting extremely sore. Regular Desitin only seemed to make the problem worse, and the pediatrian surmised that he had contracted a yeast infection from the meds. So now we are on equal parts of Desitin, hydrocordisone cream, and an antifungal ... which worked great for the last ear infection, but this time just seems to be irritating his poor bottom. Every diaper change is a screaming match! Any advice or suggestions for what I can try to give my little guy some relief??

Thanks to ALL of you who responded! Oh my goodness, the number of replies was overwhelming and so very much appreciated. Lots of good ideas and I will keep a printout just in case we ever need it again. First and foremost, we ended up stopping that nasty antibiotic and switching to something a little tamer. That helped instantly. Then we used a combination of things recommended here and were given a prescription to clear up the sore bottom. That course of antibiotics was the longest 10 days of my life (and my baby's too, I'm sure)! Although his bottom is a little scarred, he has a happy hiney again and is back on track. I am eternally grateful for all the guidance and support given here. You guys are the best!

K. & Cameron

K.:
Here's a Children's Hospital homemade remedy:

-Zinc Oxide (Walgreen's brand seems to be the best)
-Polysporin
-Baby Powder
-**Lotrimin/chlortrimizol (for yeast) if want to add**

--mix equal amounts of zinc oxide and polysporin (and chlortrimizol if adding)
--microwave 30 seconds and stir
--add equal amount of baby powder and mix together
--let cool and apply liberally

Also, give plain water baths (with NO soap/wash) and AIR DRY AS LONG AS POSSIBLE...the more air the better, you'll be amazed at just what getting some air will do. I have 5 kids and have dealt with this with ALL of them!! :-) This works wonders!!! Good luck!

My daughter had bad diarriah a couple of times so I know who you feel. So I'm just gonna tell you what worked for me. When I would change her "poop" diaper I would wash her bottom with mild soap and water. That way I'm not rubbin her bottom raw. Pat dry with a clean towel. With "pee" diapers I would just use a wipe. My daughter only like A&D ointment. She will scream her head off with anything else. But as soon as she see the A&D she'll laugh and let me put it on her. That on my goodness helped so much! Good Luck!

Try Saratoga ointment it was a miracle product for my daughter. You may have to have the pharmacist order it for you.

K.:

-Polysporin
-Baby Powder

--microwave 30 seconds and stir
--let cool and apply liberally

vusion sp? it worked wonders on my daughter it has to be prescribed

this happened to my daughter too. Boudreaux's Butt Paste worked for her. You can get it at walmart or you can buy Triple paste which is a ton more expensive, I found triple paste at Walgreens. Try a baking soda bath/soak, cloth diapers or cotton underwear if you can and air time helps, letting that little bottom get as much air as possible.

best of luck

You may not need this anymore, but this is what helped my daughter with the same type of rash:
equal parts of bacitracin (over the counter), antifungal and zinc oxide--mix together and then coat with Aquaphor--it really is the best product for diaper problems. I, too, used it every time I changed a diaper and never had a reoccurence.

K., your little one may need probiotics to counter the effects of the antibiotic. Yogurt is helpful, also a probiotic liquid or chewable will help his little system recouperate. May he have quick healing!

My son had a terrible diaper rash when he cut his first two teeth. Now it wasn't yeasty, but it was seeping and it hurt really bad. I ended up using desitin and a&d. Use more a&d then desitin and make a paste in your hand, then put it on as thick as possible. It will help protect from a new poo and treat the problem with the last pooh. Also, use a warm wash cloth like other moms suggested. I hope he gets better soon.

Change diapers as soon as they get wet or dirty. Soak the little one for 5-15 minutes in the bath tub after every diaper change. If you are not at home and have to use wipes rinse them out really well with water before you use them. Desitin is a waste of money. Use Flander's Buttocks Cream. It works and it works quickly. Feed your little one plain yogurt if the diaper rash is from an oral antibiotic.

aquaphor works really well on my son. also, instead of wipes use warm wash clothes. the wipes may irritate his skin more.

1 / 3