Need Help Fast....

Our dog is a year old now and has gotten really sick. We had rescued another dog last month that was fully vaccinated and she became ill first. She was really bad and we had to put her down, we didnt have $400 to spend on test just to see whats wrong. Now a few days after she was put down our other dog is ill. He threw up four times and wouldnt eat or drink. We did blood test and it's not anything serious (meaning not Parvo or Distemper or a virus) When he went to the vet on Wednesday they gave him a water pack and a antibiotic. He seemed to be better, he is drinking on his own now (very little water) but he still will not eat. I was told to make him chicken and rice, boiled beef, stuff like that. I have tried everything, a piece of toast. They told me to mix babyfood in with the chicken or beef but he won't go for that either. We even tried his normal dog food, Science Diet. He won't eat anything. He seems interested. When I'm cooking he is sniffing around. He is still checking the high chair after my daughter is done eating. But he will not eat anything. Does anyone have some suggestions? I don't want to lose Shadow. He has been keeping the water down but this morning he did throw up again. It was all mucus and grass. Please someone help!! He seems to be going down hill and we don't have a ton of money to keep on doing test to find out whats wrong. I want to save him. Does this sound familar to anyone, does someone know what this might be or a way to get him to eat. I have tried feeding him off a fork and everything. He is a lab puppy, he has destroyed and chewed up many things, he occasionally kills birds in the backyard also. So we were thinking he could have possibly ate something bad. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! It was really sad to let our other dog go we don't want to lose Shadow too.

Shadow is doing much better. We went to the vet again yesterday and they gave him a shot and some pills for us to give him. My husband and I force fed him baby food (chicken, beef, ham) And today he has eaten on his own for the first time since Tuesday. He is starting to be his old playful self. But he is still weak. He lost six pounds this week. The vet said he should improve and be his old self by Monday. They still don't think it was Parvo but something like it. Something was irritating his stomach. Either something they got in to. (He has torn up many, many things before) or possibly even poisening. That is a sad thing to think, but we are on a corner house and my husbands is estranged from his crazy family. We wouldnt put it past them. The vet had mentioned poisening also. Anyway, I guess we will never know for sure but he is improving and we have a brand new appreciation for this dog. He has followed me around this whole week sick and wanting comfort. I have loved this dog so much this week we have a whole new bond! Thank you for all the responses. When your in a panic state it's nice to hear others comforting words and a different take on the situation!

Science Diet is one of the dog foods they have been talking about on the news. The one that has been giving them kidney/liver damage and killing them.

Did he get any of the contaminated dog food? They said it was wet as well as dry food. I would call the vet back or see another vet if he is not improving.

Kind of a crazy thought. But have you tried anything over the counter? I am thinking liquid stomach meds like kaopectate or something? Just make sure the doseage is equivelant to a person'a weight and maybe even a little less? Maybe look up low cost spay neuter clinics and ask them for a low cost vet? Also~ google emergency pet remedies for your dog and you might get some ideas? THis helped when my dog was ill. I know how panicky the feeling is, especially when you don't have millions to sink into vet bills!! Good luck! H.

You might want to get your dog checked for heart worms unless he's on treatment for it. The testing is simple but unfortunately the treatment to get rid of heart worms isn't. I lost two Great Danes to them. Another thing you might look into. Is there any chance he's getting into something poisonous around your yard or possibly the kids are sneaking him chocolate (which is toxic to dogs and can be fatal)Are you using a strong pesticide in your yard? Run by all this with your husband and check on possible poisoning. I would even look into the possibility that you have a neighbor who doesn't like dogs and is not a very nice person, It just seems strange to me that first your one dog got sick and now it's happening to this one. Especially with him being vaccinated for everything. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and Shadow.

Sincerely

S. Hall
Las Cruces, NM

My son lost his dog las winter. he had the same symptoms. started throwing up and not eating, then strted throwing up foam and green stuff. we took him to the vet and he had ruptured an intestine with a chicken bone that he had managed to dig out of the garbage can. it was too late for him because he had been sick for two days before we took him in for an x ray. i'm so sorry and wish him and your family the best.

If he's throwing up grass, it means he's trying to eat. But a lot of times, dogs will eat grass when they dont feel good. It's like their way of telling you they are sick. It's possible, though, that something like a pesticide or something sprayed on the grass would be making him sick. Eating the grass to make him feel better could actually be making him worse.

Get an xray. Make sure he didn't eat something that is causing a blockage preventing food from passing normally and causing him to vomit. Since it is routine for him to chew things it seems like a good place to start would be an xray to see if he swallowed something he couldn't pass. Unfortuantely, if that is the case, it sould require either endoscopy or surgery to get it our which is not cheap, but it is not fatal either...not treating it is.

Good luck, and don't wait too long to proceed with diagnostics.

Hi D.,

It sounds like your puppy is pretty sick. It's not like lab puppies to not want to eat. I am a vet so, of course, I am going to tell you to take him back to your vet or to a different one if you want. I am no longer seeing dogs, but I was up until a couple of months ago and lab puppies are notorious for chewing things that they shouldn't. Sometimes things will get stuck in their intestinal track and they can die if the obstruction isn't relieved. It may just be an upset stomach but it really is important to have your vet look at him again and maybe do some xrays. Many times dogs won't eat because they have something wrong in their GI tract and they just somehow know that they shouldn't eat anything else or maybe he is too nauseous to eat. If he won't eat and is still vomiting, it usually indicates something serious is going on. You should take him to your vet today so that you won't have to take him to the emergency clinic over the weekend which would be much more expensive.

D.,

I know that this is scary. I have a little Jack Russell Terrier and the same thing happened to him. They did every test that is possible and to no avail. Finally our Aunt took him to her Vet and they did surgery and found that he had eaten a very large amount of thread and it had cut into his intestines. After the surgery he did great and is still alive and kicking today. This is the only information I can give you. I hope everything goes well.

Hi D.,

Your dog seems to have the same symptoms that my moms dog had years ago. She had to force feed him homemade Chicken noodle soup. Of course her dog is a small bred so it was much easier then a larger dog. It took about a week or so but he did return to his normal self and is basically the center of the household since. I hope that your dog turns around.

Trish

1 / 3