Need Help Choosing a Bunk Bed for My 3 and 4 Year Old Girls!

My husband and I are building a new home and decided to put our girls in the same room for now. We are going to be purchasing bunk beds but are not sure what ones to get. Any ideas?

After researching bunk beds for a few months I decided on a set made by berg furniture. Its and sierra model. What I like the most is the top bunk is only 48 inches tall so it is easy for me to make and safer for my child. Also instead of a ladder it has stairs which also serve as drawers. There are nine drawers total so I won't have to buy a dresser. When I decide to seperate the kids each one can have their own bed. The top bed will be a loft with a play place underneath. The only negative thing I could find about these beds are the price. The are anywhere from 2,000-3,000 dollars. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Hi, my husband and I recently bought bunk beds for our girls for christmas. They are 5 and 2, and the best advice I can give when buying bunk beds is get wood ones that have a removable ladder. A friend of mine gave me this advice, and I do not know what we would do if we had got something different. I love the removable ladder becuase my 2 year old is a little tiny monkey dare devil, and she loves playing on the top bunk. With the removable ladder I can just take it down in the mornings, and not have to worry about them playing up there during the day. It is especialy important during nap time.=)
good luck,
Marilyn T.
P.S. We bought a bunk bed called Harberside Bunk in white, and we love it. It is very durable and well made.

I haven't tried bunk beds out yet. I bought some at a yard sale because I thought we were going to be living in that house for a long time, and our boys (then 2 and newborn) would have to share a room a few years down the road, when we had another baby. They were a good deal, and my oldest could use the lower bunk for his first twin-sized bed.
So after all this planning it out, I was shocked to read that children under 6 shouldn't sleep on top bunks. For that and other reasons (like we had to move!), I sold the bunk beds at my own yard sale.
I suggest that if you can fit them in the room, you should get two twin beds, or look into the kind of bunk beds that can be stacked or taken down to be just two twin beds. You can use them separately for now and then stack them when they're old enough.

I just bought a new bed for my son, and I noticed that Wal-Mart has a great set of bunk beds for about $180. I really liked the set, they are a nice brown wood color. I have also seen nice things on the Sears web site, but they are more expensive. You will also need special matresses for bunk beds; ones that prevent rippling that are specially designed for bunk and captains beds where you dont use a box spring. I got one for $100 at Furnature Row...

We're also in the market for bunk beds, and from what I can tell, the owners of the metal ones don't seem very happy with them. There sure are a lot for sale! We're looking for wood. I'll be checking back to see what others say.

I have twin boys and i didnt want bunk beds for the boys but wanted something save space, so my father-in-law and i decided to come up with an idea that would still give them a bed they can grow into but somehting they could still have space, we made an original design for a childs bed that actually fold upto the was and when we made them when you fold them we attached chalk boards to the underneath and still gave them originality. then when they change to there own room we can change from one wall to the next because the way we designed them they can be free standing or buckled to the wall. just an idea for your girls instead of bunk beds my sons are 6 and i also have a one year old and i love the space.

The single on top w/double on bottom works the best for us. When the girls were smaller they slept together on the bottom and then took turns on the top. It also helped to have the larger bottom for us to lay with them if they were sick and reading to them at night.

Hi there,
I am the mother of 3 girls (5,2 and 5 months) and my two oldest have been in the same room for a year and a half now. We just moved the 2 year old out of her crib (making room for the 5 month old) and into a big girl bed-we purchased loft style bunk beds. Since we were putting all 3 girls in one room, we chose the kind that is perpendicular to the upper bunk, rather than parallel. The set also includes built in drawers and shelves on both sides under the top bunk. We love it and bought it off craigslist for a fraction of the price we would have paid new. It is in fantastic shape and we love it. The only thing is...bedtime has become more challenging, but we are currently tackling that problem. The maker is Trendwood from Arizona. Hope this helps! N.

1 / 3