Need Food/snack Suggestions for a Baptism Party - 100 People

My husband and I are planning our daughter's Baptism party. We are expecting about 90 people..give or take. We will be serving lunch. I need suggestions for food that won't break the bank. I was thinking about cooking turkey and ham and serve as sandwiches. But, I don't know how big of a turkey and/or ham I will need...or do I need multiple of each? I'm not 100% sold on the sandwhiches...so other ideas would be most welcome. Also, what side dishes or snacks that are super easy and could be prepared ahead of time? I've never thrown a party this large...I need major help from you ladies! Please!

One poster mentioned catering, and I would agree. When we had 60 people for my son's baptism, we discovered that it was cheaper to have it catered. We used Cousin's BBQ and they were great. Good food. Inexpensive. All the sides you could want, and best of all, no hassle for the proud parents!
It's a tremendous amount of work for a mom of a 6 week old to take on.

www.yogapotential.com

You could also go to costco or sams and get those rotisserie chickens, see if they will cut 18-20 chickens for you in 8 pieces each, you can make mashed potatoes and corn for everybody plus buy biscuits then present all of it in buffet trays, this is REALLY affordable, throw in some gravy and brownies andit looks like a nice buffet lunch.

You could make the party almost like a tapas (appetizer) party with lots of different items available.

I would do it with a fall theme- squashes, pumpkins, cranberries, etc also make a great ingredient as well as great decorations. I think you are going in a great direction with the turkey and ham ideas for sandwiches. That way you can prepare a lot of the items beforehand and not have to keep them all hot. With that many people, I would possibly prepare 3 18-22 lb turkeys and 2- 3 spiral hams. You might think some of these recipes are weird but they have been people pleasers for me in the past.

Corn Dip

2 cans Shoepeg corn (drained)
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 cups grated cheese (Jack/Colby mix)
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cups mayonnaise
10-12 chopped, de-seeded jalapenos (I usually use at least 14 to make it spicy and include a few seeds)

Serve with Fritos
*************************************************
Creamy Pumpkin Dip

2 8 oz pkgs cream cheese, softened
1 16 oz pkg powdered sugar
1 16 oz can pumpkin
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
(I do cinnamon and nutmet to taste)
Beat cream cheese at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar. Beat Well.
Stir in pumpkin and spices.
Serve with graham cracker sticks or ginger snaps.

************************************************
Meatballs

1 large bag of frozen meatballs from Sam’s
2 16oz cans jellied cranberry sauce
6 Tablespoons cider vinegar
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoon prepared mustard

cook and stir over medium heat until sauce is melted
add meatballs and simmer uncovered 10-15 min

Or slow method is mix all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside for a minute. Put the large bag of frozen meatballs in large crockpot. Pour sauce ingredients over the frozen meatballs and cook for about 4-6 hours or until the meatballs are heated all the way through. You can serve directly out of the crockpot too if needed.

********************************************************

Cranberry Salsa

1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 med jalapeno, finely chopped
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tablespoons lime juice

Mix all ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for several hours. I always double this recipe. Be careful with the red onion, if it is too hot, don’t use as much, otherwise it will overpower the salsa.

Serve with bagel chips or tortilla strips

Hi S.- Before I tell you about my business- here's my take on this- sometimes its less expensive to have it catered and not have the hassle- I am thinking a few trays of lasagna and a few pasta dishes to keep the cost down-
Peters Pizzeria and Italian cuisine in Colleyville on Rt 26 has absolutely the BEST food and he does tays - Get a few buffet trays with burners and you are all set- It gets set up and you have no mess no fuss and no sandwiches sitting around getting soggy or anything-
Now- my business is absolutely perfect for what you are having- Its a host assistant service
www.partyangelsus.com
We will help with the set up- tend to the buffet line- make sure guest have drinks- clean up and store the food and bring out dessert when you are ready-
Our main goal is to let you enjoy your guest and keep out of the stress. Its very affordable and you will be so thrilled that you did this to alleviate yourself so that you can enjoy your own party!
I can recommend photographer- dj - caterers- whatever you need -So if you would like- give me a call and we can chat- Where are you located?
Also- we have a bartending service, if needed.
But i would definitely do a pasta type dish and maybe some meatballs- Peters ###-###-#### -tell him D. from Party Angels sent you. Also- if you choose to make your own dishes- then make it now- freeze and just heat up that day-I used to do trays of lasagna for my dgt b'day all the time and I made them in advance and it just lessened my stress. Make a nice tossed salad and a few loaves of great bread and viola! Aslo- make two trays so that there are two areas to get food from on the buffet line- for a better flow-
I would be more than happy to chat with you-With two babys- you can really use the "angels" to help you out so you can mix and mingle with your guess and enjoy such a blessed event.
Check our our website.
D. Sansone
Party Angels Ltd.
###-###-####
www.partyangelsus.com

I have read the responses and you have some good ideas. I have three suggestions-one is to go with fajaitas-or tex mex theme. It is easy good and can go a long way. You can set up some hot dips with the chili-cheese dip and lots of chips, too. A 5 layer dip with your chips is good also. Lots of pic food is essential with that many people.
If you want to go a differnet way--go to Sam's. They have these large round sandwiches-that are good! They can be sliced to make lots of sandwiches. If you talk to them they will tell yu how many you will need for that many people. They also have cubed cheese and lots of things in bulk for reasonable prices. It would be worth buying a memeership if you don't have one.
And third, a fun ideas along the sandwich theme for this many people is a 6 foot sub sandwich from Subway. It is really good (you would probably need several) they are so thick that a few inches will be a lot of sandwich-go a long way. They are fun on the table to decorate around and then you can also have your cubed cheese, potato salad and chips and beans to fill in the gaps. I have done this several times as my son was growing up and the everyone liked it.

Last-do something that you can still enjoy your company--have a blessed day !

I think that I would do a few lasagnes, salads, bread, some easy crostinis. you could also do a cheese and cracker tray, fresh fruit tray. I would take a look at Market Street. They have a catering department but I'm not sure how expensive they are. If you are looking for a cake please take a look at my website www.freewebs.com/sweettemptationbakery I'm also listed on mamasource and have a few reviews from some of my mamasource customers.
Congratulations on your new baby!!

i have attended acouple parties that got some pulled chicken and steak and just had the fixins for fajitas. They had it all cooked the night before and everything was ready to just lay out on the table...no work! And it was good!

For my daughter's baptism we ordered party trays from Albertson's. We had some sandwich trays, vegetable tray, cheese tray, chips and a cake. We had about 40 people. I picked up the trays that morning before church and then after church all I had to do was get them out of the fridge and set it up. I would recommend having it catered or buying the trays if you can afford it. I think it would be stressful trying to cook it yourself, especially since everyone will be ready to eat as soon as you get home from church. Good luck!

Wow...all of these suggestions are great! As a matter of fact, I copied a couple of them to keep for myself! Here is my suggestion:

Meatballs a Couple of Different Ways
(I went to a party once that did this and it was great!)

First you need to make a couple of crockpots of store-bought meatballs. Mix in marinara sauce in each crock. Then you place the following in different stations:

Meatball Sandwiches
Split several large, crusty rolls and place next to one crockpot. Be sure to have lots of oregano and mozzarella cheese available for everyone to assemble their own Meatball Sandwich.

Meatball Potatoes
Large baked potatoes ready to be filled with meatballs, mozzarella, red onion, butter, etc.

Spaghetti and Meatballs
Nuff said.

I'd also have a Caesar Salad, Garlic Bread, Cheese and Veggie Trays, Cookies and Brownies.

You'd be surprised who thrifty this meal would be and most importantly, how yummy!

A pasta salad always goes a long way. I agree with the pulled chicken and beef for fajitas. I actually went and got food from Bakers in downtown Dallas-Yes I drove from NRH, but it was well worth it and at the time moderately priced.

You could do an itallian theme, mexican, caribean=all these can be moderately done.

1 / 3