Need Book Suggestions for Kindergarten-age Girl

I like to buy books for my neice/nephew for their birthday presents. Does anyone have suggestions for books to buy for a Kindergarten-age girl? I'm up to date on boy books, but have no idea what girls that age like. She is reading already, although I'm not sure I necessarily want to get her early reader books. Any ideas would be great.

The Junie B Jones series is a great early chapter book series. It is a step up from the first or early readers. She may need a little help reading them at first but they are just great stories so mom, dad and aunts would enjoy them too.

I am a school librarian and get this question all the time. I recommend any book by: 1. Kevin Henkes, like Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, Chester's Way, Chrysanthemum, A Good Day. 2. Ian Falconer, like Olivia and the Missing Toy, Olivia Forms a Band and Olivia. 3. Patricia Polacco, like Thundercake, Meteor, Babuska's Doll 4. Mo Willems, Today I will Fly!, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, Leonardo the Terrible Monster.

There are of course hundreds of great books out there, but all of these picture books invite kids again and again to go through their pages.

Any of the Lily books, (lily's purple plastic purse is the cutest) are great. The "Learning to Read" books are great. They have all the characters...Dora, Barbie, Disney Princess', etc. David Shannon books are also great for both the kids and the adults. No David and David Gets in Trouble are cute! Good luck!

Try Kevin Henkes books. I'm a teacher. I think his books are great.

Hi R.,

Usborne Books carries a new series called Sticker Dolly Books (Sticker Dolly Dressing Dolls, Sticker Dolly Dressing Princesses, Sticker Dolly Dressing Ballerinas, and Sticker Dolly Dressing Fairies). My daughter LOVES giving these, paired with another Usborne Book (usually a fairytale book or early reader) as birthday gifts and Moms love them.

In fact, I love Usborne Books so much I have been a consultant/Supervisor with them for over 7 years! You can check out these books, and 1300+ others on my website at www.UsborneBooksInfo.com. While there you can sign up for the $50 in free book drawing held each month!

Hi I agree with Junie B for a chapter books- also Airy Fairy and all the Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House Chapter books- and Magic Tree House.All my girls enjoyed having me read them at that age!

The Dick and Jane books are great and good collector series. Also the Mercer Mayer books were popular with our daughter who is now 24. She plans to buy them for her children.

My daughter who is in kindergarten loves the Rainbow Magic series of chapter books by Daisy Meadows. Reading these books to her has really expanded her reading and comprehension skills. Although she couldn't read them independently, it really helped to cement her love for reading. Another good one is A House is a House for Me by Mary Ann Hoberman. Great illustrations, rhyming text and expanded vocabulary. Good luck!!

1 / 3