Need Advice on Starting Pre-K or Kindergarten

Next fall my daughter is supposed to start Kindergarten. She has never attended preschool, or day care. She has had very little interaction with children her own age, and tends to be really shy, and scared of strangers. I really feel that she is going to be completely over whelmed with starting school in the fall. I am really considering waiting a year, and trying to get her into a pre school for 2007-2008 school year. I just don't know what to do. Everyone says I should just start her in kindergarten, but I really hate to push her into something she is not ready for. I would really appreciate any advice offered!!!! Thank you!!!

After talking with the school nurse, we have decided to wait a year. Next fall we are going to enroll our daughter in a Pre-K program. We just knew our daughter wouldn't be ready to handle a full day of Kindergarten 5 days a week. We feel really good about our decision, and I know we are doing the right thing to get our daughters education off to the right start. I would like to thank everyone who offered advice, it was all very helpful!!!!

THe earlier they start the better. I had the same feeling scare when my son started school early and he started early at 21/2 yrs old. beleive me they adopt very fast she might cry first few days
but at the end she will love it. This does wonders for them they become more independent less afraid, they learn everything they are thought. Please do not wait this only will delay her development, being with other children is good for them they learn how to interact with others, and are less antisocial.
She will be fine my son now hes five he goes on the bus and he has adopted well. Academically I can tell you enough hes doing wonderful knows abc's, #'s colors etc.
please send her to school it will be difficult at the beginning but the end it will be wonderful.
good luck
G.

Hi E.,
My only advice would be if you feel she is not ready for kindergarten then look into putting her in to pre-school. Most pre-schools have a 4+ program for kids who are not ready for kindergarten. I hope this helps. Best of Luck
Jess

I would put her in kindergarten. She has time this summer to interact with other children. She may end up resenting that she is the oldest in her grade if she doesn't start when she is suposed to. Plus, you always have the chance that a teacher may want to hold her back a year (lets hope not)and then she will be two years behind.

You have some time to decided. Weigh the pros and the cons. I believe the pros will outweigh the cons.

I own my own preschool and I really feel a child needs Preschool before going to Kindergarten. Kindergarten is not like it used to be, if a child didn't go to school prior, they will have a tought time. I left my son back and he had Preschool.

It is your own decision, but my advice is to hold your daughter back a year and send her to Preschool.

Hi E.,
Jess

Hi E.

My advice would be to try to get your daughter involved with other kids her age before starting kindergarden and even pre-school (if you do decide to send her there). There are many mommy and me programs some free and some you have to pay a fee. You can find free programs at the library or even your own township may offer programs for kids at a low cost. Museums have great programs for kids. You could also enroll her in music classes, ballet, gymnastics, etc.. although some of those classes are expensive.
I think that more exposure to other people and other kids her age would help become ready for when you want to send her to school.

hi E., your daughter may just be shy from lack of experience. give her the benefit of the doubt, she may really surprise you. as a (on hiatus) teacher, i can tell you that while at the beginning of a kindergarten year it is pretty obvious which kids have and havent been to a previous program, by the middle or end of the year, if not sooner, you generally cant tell the difference. they have amazing power to adapt. the fear may be more yours than hers... please dont take offense at this, i myself am a mom with "separation anxiety"!
i would enroll her in some kind of separation class over the summer, something where you can be with her and gradually separate. there are lots of mommy and me groups that do this, check out your local churches, etc, or gymboree, they have separation classes, or some other physical activity class, or check out your local libraries or even the town parks, there are so many different things out there, especially over the summer. see how it goes over the summer, she may adapt a lot quicker than you expect. good luck, D.

Hi E.!

My name is J., I am a preschool teacher.
My best advice to give you on the experience I have had in the pre-school area is to start her in pre-school ASAP!!!!

Dont just thrust her into any pre-school fulltime. What we do for first timers, who have never left mommys/daddys side is we have one day where mom or dad comes with the child and they will view and participate in all the morning activities ( about 2 hours ). they get some free play with the kids, we have morning meeting, do a project and our daily jobs.

Then maybe two days later you'll come back for 2 hours in the afternoon. Maybe have afternoon snack, outside free play and afternoon meeting.

Then the next week for two days your child will come for 2 hours in the morning by herself,( CRYING WILLL HAPPEN!! but it will stop I PROMISE! within 5 minutes they get distracted and start playing and making friends ) and then another day for two hour by herself.

We basically slowly work with her to get used to having fun at school and leaving your side.Its a process, sometimes not an easy one but in my opinion if you want Kindergarten to be an easier transition you have to get her started in pre-school.

Not only do they prepare them by teaching them to write there name,ABC's, numbers etc. but they teach them independence.

I'd hold her back another year from Kindergarten, if you know your child and know shes going to have a hard time going to kindergarten I would start her in pre-school ASAP.

ok, i hope i could help. good luck!!!

Hi E.,

It sounds like you have a summer baby. So do I she turned five last August, and we decided to wait. She will be six when she gets on the bus. And for us it was the best thing we could have done. But just like you I was very confused because my daughter did go to two years of preschool but deep down I know she could not keep up. I had to look at it this way I new she was smart enough to go to Kindergarten but it is now so much differant then when we went. Emotionally I also did not think she would be able to keep up. And for about six months you still think about your decision and second guess yourself. but you are really giving them the gift of a year. So I would put her in preschool for social time this year. And by next year you will both be excited for her to go off to school. I am so excited for my daughter because I have seen how much she as grown in a year and she wants to learn and now is ready to be in Kindergarten. And I guess those people who are telling you just put her in kindergarten have not seen what kindergarten is really about these days. They are calling it the new first grade. So stand strong and make the best decision for your child. They are all differant and are ready at differant times.

Good luck with your decision.

H. C

good luck
G.

1 / 3