Need Advice on a Good Baby Carrier for Older Babies

we are adopting a baby, and she's already 6 months old and 15 pounds. She probably won't be here until she's around 9 months old- so I need a convertable (wear on back or front) carrier for an older baby, maybe 20+ lbs. Is a sling wrap better, or the traditional carrier? And, what brand is the best? I don't know that I feel secure enough to use the kind that is a long piece of fabric that you knot or slip through rings- especially with a baby that big and active. Thanks for your help!!

This is another vote for the Ergo. It is so easy to use and comfortable. My 11-month-old son still loves it.

I second the recommendation of the Ergo baby carrier - my daughter never liked the other types and doesn't like the stroller but LOVES the Ergo - it can either be used on the front or back. I still use it and she is 2+ years old...I don't plan on stopping soon either. Good luck and congratulations!

My impression of a sling was the same. I had a nice Bjorn carrier. While I liked it pretty well, I used my sisters extra sling on a visit after my son was 1 and loved it. I also used it to carry my niece around as a infant. If I have more children a sling is what I will get.

I have the mei tai baby carrier for my daughter and love it. You can wear it on the front, side, or back and it really helps distribute the weight, I know several people who use it with their toddlers, so it lasts a long time. I bought mine off of ebay but there are lots of websites that you can choose from. I also have the baby bjorn, but as they get heavier it puts a lot of pressure on my back.
Hope that helps and good luck with the adoption!
-A.

I made this mei tei (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/bbo.html) to use with my youngest - he's 6 months and about 16 pounds. I love it - I have a Snugli too, but it hurts my back. Using the MT, he's practically weightless because it distributes the weight so well. I also like it because it is cozier than the Snugli, he can snuggle right up to me when he's on the front. We haven't done a lot of back carries yet because his legs are too short to wrap around me and he's too short to see over me, but it can be done even this little. It was super easy to make and cost me nothing but 2 hours of time because I used material I inherited - I call it my Sound of Music carrier because I made it out of canvas curtains left behind by the previous owner of our house.

Congrats on your adoption! I'm going to copy and paste the same response I gave to a mama recently about babywearing. I would definitely try out a mei-tai (thats a style, not a brand) carrier, they are asian inspired and are really versitile. I have a babyhawk and it is AWESOME! (www.babyhawk.com)

You should join the DFW babywearing group and attend one of their meetings, people bring tons of different carriers (wraps, pouches, asian style carriers, soft structured carriers, etc etc)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFWbabywearing/
The next meeting is December 15 in Richardson (a bit of a drive for you, but would definitely be worth it to get some hands on experience and assistance before spending $$ on a carrier!)

Also, check out www.thebabywearer.com - they have some GREAT forums with tons of information to help you out!

I have a 7 month old who is over 16lbs and i use the "long piece of fabric" and love it. its called an Ellaroo Wrap. my friend is letting me borrow it, so i'm not sure how much they cost. on-line buying is your best bet. you can use the wrap all different kinds of ways and its VERY comfortable. i've done most carrying on my front and hip. i still haven't attempted the back yet...but am sure its easy.

I loved my Hotsling! Go to Hotslings.com to see what they have to offer and to get your correct size. Then you can usually go to ebay and buy them for much less. I had 2 and both came from ebay. I didnt trust the one with slip rings either. The hotsling is comfortable and easy to wear. Good Luck and Congratulations!

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId...
My 2nd child weighed close to 10 pounds when he was born, so I purchased the "One Step" carrier for larger infants (almost 7 yrs ago) It fits kids up to 40 pounds. I still use it for my other kids. It's lightweight and easy to put on and take off.

We also have an Evenflo backpack for longer trips, my 1 yr old LOVES the backpack!
Happy shopping!

The Mei Tai type for sure!! I have a hotsling and a Baby Hawk mei tai... I loved the hotsling for when both my kids were a bit smaller. But for the bigger baby and then a toodler, the mei tai is the way to go! I just switched to the mei tai with my 7 month old (from the hotsling)...I used it for my first child until she was 3. I love that there are no rings, extra fabric flowing off, or sizing..anyone can wear it...front or back. Check out the website...

1 / 3