Need Advice on How to Treat Recurring Bloody Nose

My 6 year old daughter gets nosebleeds.... a lot, when the weather is dry, when she has a cold, when her allergies to pollen start up. She can get heavy nosebleeds, light nosebleeds or very heavy nosebleeds. We usually have her rest until the bleeding stops, and then she is up and running again. It is very difficult because she also gets nosebleeds in school, and lately she has been getting them every day.
We have spoken to her pediatrician about this, he has looked up into her nose, every year at her check up, and says there is really nothing to be done, he doesn't see anything....she may simply outgrow them, or when she is older she can think about getting that area in her nose cauterized.Meanwhile she has to just deal with the nosebleeds whenever they start. She feels OK about the nosebleeds at school, her teachers and classmates are very kind and understanding. I am grateful she is not upset and self conscious about this. Does anyone have any tried and true techniques to help with this?

I would take her to see another pediatrician asap. She may need blood work drawn to rule out any bleeding disorder such as Von Willebrands to name one. Not to be alarmist but this doesn't sound like something that a child grows out of.

Nosebleeds can often be helped by adding calcium to the diet. Look for calcium citrate or lactate, often with magnesium. The blood needs to be a bit thicker. Yes, the blood also has to have calcium, not just bones and teeth.

Dr. A. Dunev

My son used to, and sometimes still does, get nose bleeds as well. He is eight now and they don't happen as often. When they do occur, they seem to happen one after the other. We put a humidifier in his room at night and that seems to have helped alot. Now that he's eight, they don't happen as often and when they do, they're not as bad as they used to be. I believe they do grow out of it. I too had them as a kid at five, six, seven years old. Good luck.

L.A.

Humidity helps. Have you tried turning on a humidifier in your daughter's bedroom each night?

L. E

I used to get nosebleeds a lot when I was a child growing up in a very dry area of Colorado - sometimes on a daily basis. They never bothered me much. They talked about maybe eventually cauterizing my nose but I never felt I needed it.

As an adult I still ocassionally get them but one thing I've found helps is to use nasal spray during the especially dry periods like now. You can buy them in any drugstore and just have her spray several times a day. It should at least lessen the severity. The other thing that may help is to have a humidifier on in her room at night.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since she clearly is handling it well.

I am a third grade teacher, and sometimes children are just nose-bleeders, especially when the air is dry and usually hot. The best thing is just to keep the child hydrated. But I wouldn't be too concerned about it because as a teacher I do see it all the time. Every year in my class during summertime I usually have a child who bleeds almost daily from the nose, usually after running around during recess in the dry heat. Good luck!

WHen I was a kid, I had lots of nosebleeds and the cauterizing fixed the problem.

My daughter just turned 8 and she too has nosebleeds. I've noticed it happening less in the last few months. She's very good at handling her nosebleeds; she doesn't get upset and is very calm when it happens. What we do have on hand all the time is saline spray - "Little Noses" - it helps especially on dry days. Hope this helps.

Hi my name is Y. and both my daughters have nose bleeds from time to time. You're right it's the dry weather out here, and the pollutants. The girls play tennis tournaments and it's happened then also. What I have done to minimize the occurrence is take a small amount of vaseline and place it on a cotton ball to coat the inside of the nostril. It actually seems to work. Also, on the onset of a nose bleed I get a ice pack placing on the bridge of the nose while holding the holding the nose with a cold wash cloth until the bleeding stops. This seems to make it stops fairly quickly too. The vaseline however works really well in preventing the nosebloods. Do this every day. You don't need that much. You could place the vasaline on a cotton swab and that should do the trick.

Hi P. -

When I was little, I used to get frequent nosebleeds (and earraches as well, but you don't mention that being an issue). There was never any talk of it being a serious problem, nor was here any plan for anything being done about it, that I knew of. I recall them being more likely in hot weather, but that could be faulty memory -- I'm now 52. They never really bothered me, it was just something that happened. I simply outgrew them, not exactly sure what age, but I'm thinking perhaps around 8? I am pretty sure they were less and less frequent until they stopped altogether.

One technique my mom learned to help me stop the bleeding more quickly was to have me sit up straight, rather than lie back (which was the conventional wisdom at that time). My doctor told her it was better to have me sit up and pinch the bridge of my nose for a little while. I still remember being amazed at how quickly I was back to playing when we started doing that.

Hope at least some of the above is helpful. All the best to you,

PS: One more thing. I noticed one of the moms said they use Aquaphor in their child's nose after the bloody nose. I really hope people see this posting of mine, because it's important. Aquaphor is a petroleum product, as is Vaseline. While they both have good uses, near or in the nose is not advisable. Any petroleum product, Neosporin included (which has a warning on the packaging), is not to be inhaled -- bad idea to get the particles in the lungs. A better idea would be a bit of Vit E oil or if you like thicker stuff, there is something that feels exactly like Vaseline called Un-Petroleum Jelly made by Alba. Don't mean to freak anybody out. I found all this out when my daughter got impetigo on her nose and I was told to get an antibiotic ointment, but then saw the warning on it NOT to put it near the nostrils. I called the company and was told why. I've been on the search for alternatives ever since and am very happy with what we use now. Sorry this got long!

1 / 3