Need Advice on How to Keep Legos Organized

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my 7 year olds legos organized. Tried keeping all the pieces from one set together but my son likes to keep all the sets out and use all the lego sets together and inevitably they eventually get bumped and some of the pieces fall off and eventually get mixed up and now we just have legos EVERYWHERE in his room and I don't know where to begin to get them organized. Anyone have any suggestions?

I love this question and reading all of the responses! I know I am late here, but I just got back from vacation, was sorting through messages and saw this one. I could have written it except that my son is 9. I have struggled with whether we should try to keep kits separate or not and thought maybe it was best not to be paranoid about it because it is more creative for him to mix the kits. My husband would like to try to keep them all separate. At this point they have overtaken a room and it would probably be impossible to keep them all separate. After reading these responses it is nice to know we are not alone and I think I will let the kits get mixed up, but might try to sort them into bins by theme (Bionicles, Star Wars, Castle, etc.). Thanks for the question!

Unfortuantely not, we have the same problem.

One of the tasks I give my son every so often is to make up the sets so all the pieces go together, they get put in a bag with a resealable seal and boxed away.

It doesnt last long but keeps my sanity a bit ...

I will be watching this thread to see if there are any answers :) A very good question :)

www.a-little-wish.co.uk

If there are different sets of legos, I would keep them in different rooms altogether. Keep one set in his room, and keep another set in the playroom or another room where he can do those another time. Would that work?

My son has a Lego table that was quite pricey, but a good investment for us. At 2 he started building with the regular size Legos and my husband and I knew his brain was built for building, creating and math-related activities...and now at 4.5, he's still at it and LOVING Legos so we haven't regretted the $300 purchase...especially with two younger Lego-loving children as well.

The top of our table is a Lego base and then there is a HUGE drawer that he stores his Legos in...although it's in the brink of overflowing. I'd at least purchase some large tubs top keep the Legos in...and hopefully your son will keep them in there instead of on the floor (which isn't my son's strong suit which is why they're in his room).

Legos are such a great activity for children! Best of luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Dacta-Table-Green-Education/dp...

Seems the majority are with me - don't be OCD about the "sets" - just put them in one big plastic tub - they have them in all different colors in Walmart. It is too much to have to separate every set every time you play and put away. If there is one set he has put together or is in -process, use a gallon ziploc bag to keep it separated, but within the same big box. Definitely designate on area to play with them, so they are not all over the whole house! Finished projects could be displayed on a shelf for a certain amount of time?

Good Luck.

I would use a plastic container to hold them and put them all together. Let him be creative about what to make with all the peices.

We designated a spot for lego building. so you don't have to pick up the legos all the time. We use the bin and have spent hours looking for the right piece. We have shelves for the sets and other things that are built and want to be saved. also boxes can keep other things that are built that you don't want to get dusty. Lego's are great. my 18 year old still likes to build huge creations. Great imagination toy.

I don't know where you'd find this, but someone once told me about a lego organizer with several stacked bins or drawers. Each one had openings on the bottom that got smaller with each level down. The idea was to put all the legos (or a bunch) in the top, and only the largest size would stay up there while the rest fell through. Then the next level down,the same thing would happen, until you have only those tiny little one- and two-dot pieces on the very bottom. I've never seen it, but it sounded interesting.

M., ah legos, they have their story, ahaahhaha i started out like you , i loved legos, they are agreat tool for kids, they help in all stages, but i did like the legos in their own sets, if you want to keep them this way, put them in their own sets, build the set, and put it on a high shelf and dont let them play with them, ahahha this is the only way to keep all legos in the same set, your best bet, is to let the child play with legos, and have them pick them up tto the best of their ability according to age, but get one bucket, put them all in it, and let them dump out a huge pile when they play with them and you sit and play too and build what you want, as well, this should allow enough legos for all who want to build, any way, my kids are now 20,16,14 and we just moved, and i still found legos on the floor, ahhahaahah this is alife long commitment to legos, ahahha they are such a wonderful toy even the older ones buy them and get them, just know when they loose interest its ok to get rid of them, but even today i miss our big bucket of legos, ahahahah just have fun, enjoy life, and be committed to your legos, and pick them all up and let the legos live happily together, D. s ,

www.a-little-wish.co.uk

Don't know what to tell you, except that I love this question!! I can't wait to read the responses, I have 3 boys, and live in a LEGO warehouse (haha).

1 / 3