Need Advice on Home Schooling Please!!!

I have recently found out about some issues with my daughter and school. Long story short, we were told to think about home schooling. I've never thought about this before. Basically, we do it now, with her homework. It takes hours for homework and she hates it and we could pull each other's hair out. If I were to home school her, would it be the same way? If so, I can't do it. I'll end up with a heart attack. Do you people that homeschool find it hard to teach your own children? How do you know if they are learning what they're supposed to? She's going into the 6th grade. Will she have to miss out on her first school dances or not be able to play on school sports teams, basketball and volleyball? Please, tell me your experiences and if your children have changed for the better or worse.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I appreciate your advice. You're all amazing. I'm so happy to have found this site. After thinking long and hard and talking to family and her teachers i've decided not to home-school at this time. I'm going to wait and see how 6th grade goes and if there are issues then we'll go from there. I just feel that as stubborn as she is an the way things are now with homework struggles it would be worse for both of us and our relationship to home school. Once again, thanks again, and i'll be right here again as I need advice.

I wanted to homeschool, but it just would not benefit my 6 year old daughter. She learns better from a school environment. It depends on the child. Each child is different and it seems to me you are not going to have a good time with it either. I wish you good luck if you attempt it.

I have not home-schooled...but I know several people who do..the parents and kids love it...They say it takes a lot of patience and time...but you can do it if you are determined....whhy not try it for a semester...Good Luck..

VMitchell
Memphis,TN.

I homeschooled in Florida and am considering starting back up here. I have 5 children and they all loved being homeschooled. In Florida, if you are truly homeschooling the kids are allowed to participate in sports and things at the local public school. I don't know if it is the same here.

I will say that if you are having that hard of a time getting homework done it may not be a great idea for you to do the teaching. That being said...one thing that we loved about it is that the kids went at their own pace. If they worked hard they could be done with schoolwork right after lunch and have the rest of the day to play. If they were lazy or were not paying attention...it could last all day. They learned quite quickly that it was a good idea to get up and get their work done. We did not have "homework" , just what they did during our school day.

There are also a couple of other options for you. One that I know of is Georgia Virtual Academy(I think is the name). It is funded by the public school system. They send you the curriculum and assign a teacher to your child. You do the teaching at home and the teacher grades certain selected assignments that are sent in. We used the one in Florida for a couple of years then I branched off and did traditional homeschooling. With the virtual school the kids still have to go to the public school to take the testing(CRCT).

If you look around you can probably also find some homeschool groups that will offer sports, lab type experiments, etc.

If you would like more information just let me know.

no it is not hard to teach your own. but if the school wants her at home ask about homebound they send teacher to you. keep in mind though homebound teachers are not trained to handle some kids. ask the school about the sports and dances. i home schoooled mine, but he has cp.

Hello, J.! I have always homeschooled my kids. My daughter is in 6th grade this year, my son is in 4th grade and my youngest son will start Kindergarten in the fall. Home schooling is not as difficult as you would think. There are many curriculums that all you do is follow the teacher book. I use mostly Bob Jones curriculum. I find that is the best for my family. There are many more out there, too many to list and I can put you in contact with e-mails if you would like. Just contact me. Right now our day consists of getting up around 8 and starting school around 9. We are done with school around 12. We are actually on Spring Break right now and will be done with school officially on May 8. That will be our 180th day! Whoohoo! Anyway, what you need to do first is find a local homeschool association to belong to. This association is your liason between you and that state. Once you register with this association, they will notify the school of your intent to homeschool. If you are ever contacted by any state official, school official, Department of Social Services, etc. you must contact this association and they will handle it from there. You will need to keep a written diary of some sort of what your child is learning each day. I have a plan book and all my lessons are recorded as we complete them. This way if the state demands proof of what your child is learning (never happened to me) then you have that proof.

Please don't confuse your child's homework with home schooling. Homework to me is just a waste of time because it is something the teacher didn't get to in class. The most "homework" my children have to read the next chapter. Your child has been in school for 8 hours and now has to sit at home again and re-do all that she did earlier in the day!

As for social events. My children are full of social events. They play sports and take Karate 2-3 times a week (my 9 year old son is a 3rd degree red belt, my 11 year old daughter is a 1st degree green belt and my 5 year old is a blue belt). We are very active in our church and as a matter of fact, my daughter is helping this week do a taping at our church of our youth band and she is running the cameras for the taping of the video. Depending on what your state laws are, your child may or may not be able to play the sports at the local high school.

As far as costs go, I believe that it costs us around $700 a year to homeschool all 3 kids. You don't mention any other children in your request, but what I do is when I find a curriculum that I like, like Bob Jones, I will buy one text book and 3 workbooks. That way by the time my youngest son gets to be in that grade, I don't have to repurchase a text book and I already have my workbook. Basically, by the time my second and third child gets to that grade, it is all paid for. So, $700 now and no money later!

I hope this all helps. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am always willing to help out other home schoolers, because it is not as impossible to do as you might think.

I was homeschooled myself so I wanted to adress the social aspect of your question. It depends on the district your in I suppose but my friends just got me tickets to school dances at thier school and I went with them. In high school I had boyfriends and they asked me to dances at their schools I went to football games at their schools. No I didnt do cheerleading etc.. but I did do dance classes for my "sport" and they offered cheering so I took it. My friend homeschools her kids and her son is on the city basketball team and soccer team. I do not feel I missed out on anything being homeschooled except maybe graduation. But maybe your daughter just needs a couple years at home then she can go back to school. It can't hurt to give it a try.

I do not homeschool my kids, but have prayed about it every year. We were very close to doing it this next year, but decided not to. I do know that if you do homeschool, you will have your kids at the best hours for learning, instead of cramming in homework after they have been in school for 8 hours and are tired. It would take you an average of about 4 hours per day, and there are many different ways to do it. Google Homeschool co-ops and support groups for your area, that would give you lots of info. Some of the co-ops do social networking. If you are married, you will need your husband's support, I don't know that it would work without it. Everyone that I have ever talked to who has homeschooled has said that it is the best decision they ever made for their family. The only reason we are not doing it this year is because of major family changes (bringing an orphan from overseas as an exchange student), and I didn't feel I could handle all of it at once. My oldest is now in 6th grade, ask around about co-ops for middle schoolers. There are lots of options. Good luck! K. K.

I have never homeschooled my children, but I know several people that do. What they do for sports and stuff is depending where you live, they sometimes have homeschool groups! I had a friend when I was in California that homeschooled her children and the homeschool program that she was using put her in touch with other homeshcooling parents. Her daughter played on a volleyball team, a couple of her sons played on a basketball team, and all four of them belonged to different kids of clubs. They were all made up of homeschooled and church school kids. I would check around. As far as whether you could handle being your childs teacher, I have mixed feelings about homeschooling. I have seen some who take it very seriously and do a wonderful job. I have seen others that their children suffer greatly because of it. You have to be the one who decides what's best for your family.

There are a lot of homeschool groups that offer support for the very things you are asking about. Go to www.homeschoolcentral.com. You'll find a lot of groups there. Many have sports teams, dances, classes, playgroups, etc.

Not knowing your daughter's situation/special needs, I would suggest going with a packaged curriculum to get started. Then, you won't have the headaches of trying to build your own. I just finished the planned/packaged curriculum for my son for Kindergarten. We used My Father's World and each day took less than two hours to complete the planned lessons. The older grades may take longer; I don't know. Contacting a support group in your area may help you find the curriculum you want to use.

Check your state homeschooling laws about withdrawing your child from public school, starting your own school, and if any reports are necessary to be filed with the state.

I've only completed one year of homeschooling. Some days were a struggle and some days were a breeze ... just like raising children any other way. With the struggles, I tell myself that we are spending as much time in "school" as we would on homework had he been in school all day.

As for knowing if she is learning what she is suppose to: you are the best person to know how to read your child. If she were in the classroom with 25-30 other students, does a teacher really know if she is "learning" or just reproducing the answers on a paper. I feel like the "teach to the test" method is all I got in my years of public school. I get so excited when my son reflects back on something we talked about in school and says, "hey mom! That's just like when ..."

HTH,

I'm planing on homeschooling my 12 y.o. step son this fall due to having to spend alot of time doing homework with him as well. I figured if I'm spending this much time already, I might as well teach him myself! We are planning on doing the Switch on Schoolhouse computer curriculum. I have recieved a lot of recommendations for this program. We also are blessed to have a home scholl co-op group where a HS mom teaches math, science, etc, her husband teaches drafting, another mom teaches art. So he will go once a week to those classes. I also heard there is a school not far from me that does a bit more with the co-op classes, so kids get more socialization, if a parent is concerned about that aspect of HS. Good Luck and remember, if it doesn't work out, you are not stuck doing this. You can always turn around mid-semester and do another program or send her back to school.

1 / 3