Need Advice for Baby with Nicotine Withdrawal

My husband and I just brought our adopted baby girl home from the hospital yesterday. She was born Monday. We're having issues with her at night - she won't sleep. She needs to be held, swadled and patted (hard enough that it almost feels like we're hurting her but she loves it) Nurses at the hospital said she is showing symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Has anyone had to deal with this? How long does it last? What are some of the things you did to comfort your baby? Thank you!!!

Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. To clarify - the nurses felt she was exeriencing nicotine withdraw because the severity of her screaming at night and the way she tensed her body (among other things) were consistent with what they've seen in babies born with addictions. I believe we've made it though the worst; I certainly don't expect her to be sleeping all night long or anything right now - though it would be nice :-) - but I knew the past few nights weren't normal either. Thanks again everyone!!! God bless!

my first child did this and dr always asked me if i smoked, I wandered why...but the thing is i don't and my husband does not and we don't go to bars or places where there is smoke. my son i would beat him on the but and he loved it. you know how people gives babys the pat. i would have to say no he likes it harder. and they looked at me like i was crazy. but he quit cring when you did. he love swaddled and being held tight. would not sleep in his bed. we tried everything. finally to get some sleep he slept in his carseat . we fell asleep and eight house later still sleeping. we were like wow. so guess were he slept. we would try his bed again and again. let him cry it out. nothing ever worked. we found out when he was about year and half after taking him to developemental pediatrician. he has sensory intetgration disorder. just a thought.

Welcome to newborn mommyhood:) You won't sleep for a while. Is there anything the docs could do to know if it's withdrawl? If not, have you tried a swing? My son was colicky due to acid reflux but that doesn't usually start until around 3 weeks after birth. The only thing that helped was to put him in the car seat and swing him back and forth with great momentum and a bit of a hitch at the end of each arc.

Good Luck:) Congrats!

Congratulations on the adoption. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you may be reading too much into this. I don't know of a SINGLE 5 day old baby that sleeps well at night. It's all part of a newborns adjustment to a world they are completely unfamiliar with. I did everything by the book when I was pregnant with my first from a nutrition, exercise, and medical standpoint and he was born a very healthy little boy, but one that didn't sleep through the night until he was about 7 months old. It all comes with parenthood. I'm expecting #2 in April and relish the thought of having a newborn again, but I'm definitely not looking forward to the sleepless nights. Be patient, it will get better.

ask the nurses and pediatrition about the nicotine withdrawl and what is best to do. don't worry too much until you have more imput from them.
most babies don't sleep through the night anyway and require the holding/swadling and patting just like yours. hang in there and good luck to you and your family. best wishes and congratulatons.

Holding, swaddling and patting are just what she needs, and most new babies don't sleep more than 2-3 hours at time, if your lucky. Holding her is best thing for her and will help with bonding. I am a Mom of 4, grandma to 2, and have had several foster children, mostly babies. There may be some nicotine withdrawl, but all mine acted the same way and I didn't smoke. My youngest granddaughter is 6 weeks now and sleeping about 4 hours at night now and only if she sleeps with her mommy(she didn't smoke either). If she is having withdrawl symtoms keeping things quiet at home and not taking her out around a bunch of people may help. My foster babies always needed a lot of extra rocking and quiet time, and they soon were thriving.
Wishing you the best of best of luck and much happiness with your new baby.
Nancy

Good Luck:) Congrats!

Love and patience...that's my only advice...which I know doesn't really help. I really just want to say congratulations on your adoption! What a blessing! And it sounds like this baby is incredibly lucky to have you as parents.

Congratulations on your precious new gift! Both of our children are adopted and both birthmoms smoked during pregnancy(which really bugged me). Fortunately, they didn't seem to experience the withdrawal symptoms that you describe and neither one had low birthweight. I hope she is able to sleep better soon and adjusts well to your home environment and schedule. Someone mentioned potential attachment issues and that you shouldn't let her cry herself to sleep. I have to disagree. We had NO trouble whatsoever with attachment or bonding with our kids, and we taught them to go to sleep in their beds from the time we brought them home(same age as your daughter). I believe our whole family is happier, well-adjusted and well-rested(most of the time) because of it. Of course every parent has the opportunity to do things their own way, but I just didn't want you to think that there is only one way to create attachment. We were also led to believe that breastfeeding was the only way to really bond with your baby too, but that wasn't an option for me and as I said there were no problems with bonding! Hope you get better sleep this coming week.

No advice but you are doing a wonderful thing, congrats on the new addition, good luck and god bless, the world needs more ppl like you.

If it truly is nicotine withdrawal the symptoms should be over in about 5 days tops. I have conducted many breathe free plans to stop smoking and that is the amount of time it takes to clear your system of the nicotine. Good luck with your new baby and congratulations on your adoption-I have an adopted daughter also.

1 / 3