Need Advice for Baby with C-diff a New Illness

My 1 year old son was hospitalized this week with C-Diff. SEVERRE diahrrea every 10-15 minutes that dehydrated him. They hooked him up to IV's and tried to give him Flaygl which is the drug of choice for this illness but he can not take this medication (many people can not) and threw it up. They are starting a second medicine (vancomycin) and he has been on it for 24 hours with NO improvement. Has anyone seen this before and if so what can you tell me. Is this drug working and it takes time or what else is going to clear this up. My pediatrician has never had a patient with this before.

THANK EVERYONE SO MUCH FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!!! I used all the advice I received and
was able to ride through this scary time with more knowledge and courage than I ever would have. My son has recovered as the antibiotics did the trick. Again,
I really appreciate everyone taking their personal time to provide support!!

The medicine is working, it takes 24-48hr for the medication to start working. Is he getting IV or by mouth? If it is IV it takes less time than taking it by mouth. For more information on c-diff go to md on the computer. Go to the home page and type c-diff in and if that doesn't work type medical doctor in to fine it. Hope this helps.

My son had C-diff, but he is an adult. With little ones it is especially important to keep them from getting dehydrated when they are throwing up and having diahrrea. When my children were little, our pediatrican recommended Pedialyte for them.

My son found out that he needed to take probiotics to replenish the good bacteria in his digestive track because the antibiotics that he was on killed the bad bacteria as well as the good bacteria. Health food stores carry many things that contain probiotics. He took capsules which, of course, your son is too young to do. But he also ate a lot of yogurt such as Activia with live cultures that can replenish the good bacteria and drank beverages containing probiotics. He also drastically changed his diet for a period of time cutting out everything red (beef, tomato sauces, etc.) and spicy.

I would strongly recommend that you ask your pediatrician to refer your son to a gastro-enderologist or some other specialist who has experience with C-diff. My son didn't seem to get better until he was under the care of one. Also go online and do some research. You are the best advocate for your child. Be pushy if you have to. I'll be praying for you and your son.

Well i am not a person to approve drugs of any kind especially when the drugs are for children. I would research all alternative methods, see if there is a natural approach to this, I think a baby taking drugs is not a good idea at all. The internet is at your fingertips, take advantage of it.

I agree with Samantha...find a doctor who knows about this. I have never heard of it before. I am praying for you and your whole family.
I understand the struggle of having a sick child. Good luck and God bless.

i would maybe get another pediatiatrician or a second opinion depending who your doc is. I take my children to a pediatrican in winchester and never had to question yet but one time in 6 yrs his advice or the medical care. your child is very young and should not have to go through that. i would get a specialist involved who deals with these kinds of illnesses. you could also maybe look some info on the web but some stuff people read is worse than what is really going on and every child is different just like adults. i have never heard about this before and i would definattely make sure there is not anything more going wrong to ease your mind.

If you would like to be more informed about the disease, check out webmd.com I usually look there for advice. My mom is an RN so I usually ask her things too. Do your research. This c-diff looks bad and you need to make sure your doctors aren't blowing you off.

If your child's doctor has never had a patient with C-Diff, take him to a doctor who has!

Hello M.,
I am so sorry to hear that your son is sick. I use to work at Johns Hopkins Hospital in the pediatrics department so I would recommend that you take him there. They have so much knowledge. Is he in the hospital now? or at home? I hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions. S.

1 / 3