Need Advice About OTC Hair Color Products

Hi all. Ok, I've never colored my own hair before - I've always gone to a salon. I'm asking around to see if anyone has any advice about OTC hair coloring products. I'm looking to save a few $$ and wonder if it is worth it. My hair color is medium blonde (natural). I've done highlights/lowlights in the past, of course, that has grown out:) I'm mainly interested in highlighting products, at least to start off with. I did read a little online that you should use a color that is no more than 2 shades lighter/darker than the natural color. Also, any advice about what brand to use. Thanks in advance.

I use Revlon color Silk. only 4.00 and covers great, plus the conditioner is awesome!! Good luck and God Bless.

P.,
I have started to color my own hair for several months now. I only use a solid color no highlight stuff....but I use Clariol. I like it...it turns out just like the hair salon.
Jen

Welcome to Durham! I live north of C.H., and work in Durham. I am a grandma to 6. Be sure you buy a years membership to the museum of Life and Science, if your little guy can run around. It is such a great place to take children.
I've used hair color products for years and also gone to get it colored. I have a great place I use. She charges $65 for coloring and cut, still high to me. But until I found her, it was $85 in CH. And I substituted in between. And she is right, go way lighter, until you get the feel for it.

Clairol. It is about the best hair color on the market. It has been around fr years where as some of the other brands are a lot newer. I have always used Clairol when coloring my hair and I have been dying it myself for close to 19 years now. They have one Clairol hair dye that works on damp hair in just 10 minutes and it works fabulous. It is great at covering gray hair also, as I must say I do have some silver in my hair unless I color it.

I recently dyed my 18 year old daughters hair with a Revlon dye kit and it was such an awful and messy product to work with. The dye became like gel in her hair as it thickened as it hit the air. So i would not recommend using any Revlon Hair Dye kits to anyone.

Stick with Clairol and you will have great results. They have a great choice of colors and their products leave your hair feeling and looking great. Have fun and save time by using Clairol Hair Dye products.

Which ever route you choose to use I wish you great success.

Blessings,
N.

Funny this came today... I'm getting ready to color my hair this evening :) I use Loreal Excellence Creme... and I have since a friend of mine talked me into it years ago. The conditioner that comes with it is wonderful!

I was paying $25-$30 every six weeks to color my hair at the salon... plus the cost of a hair cut. I now cut my own hair and like it better... and I use the color my friend used on my hair the first time. I use different shades of brown depending on the time of year. You can hold your hair to the pictures on the side of the box to see which shade you want.

I have never tried highlighting... that scares me to be honest because I've seen so many terrible highlighting jobs. That I would not do on my own.

never done highlighting i think that would be hard but all over color is easy esp if you have someone with you to make sure you didnt miss anything. i like herbal essence just b/c its not as harsh smelling. hope this helps!

P., No advice about hair coloring but we moved from MO to TN. What part of MO are you from?

I've been coloring my own for about a year now, and it's super easy! I use the L'oreal and some stores also have the 'highlighting' kits which is using the cap to pull the hair thru to highlight which are easy to use too. Be sure you look at the box to see if it is natural / cool/ or warm to decide which will work best for you.

1 / 3