Need Advice About Occupational Therapy!

My 4 soon to be 5 year old son Matthew has been receving occupational therapy for about 2 months for sensory issues (not SPD) and fine motor skills. Well his fine motor skills are improving, in part do to the fact that he also receives speech therapy and that therapist works on motor skills with him also. However, Matthew sensory issues are that he gets easily over-stimulated and cannot calm himself down. His therapy is not helping, and is actually making him considerabley worse. I work with the occupational therapist (who I'm sorry to say is extremely odd which doesn't help the situation) everytime she comes and I work on her suggestions in between therapy sessions also. And besides Matthew's behavior getting worse, other sensory issues that he has (like freaking out when the dog barks) haven't improved either. I have spoken to the therapist, and when that didn't work I went over her head too. The therapist is coming today so that we can have a meeting to discuss things more in depth, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help me help my little boy. I can't change therapists because I've been told she is the only one currently available and stopping therapy all together doesn't seem like it would help either. I'm just not sure what to do right now. I appreciate everyone's advice!

hi,
I have a 4 year old son who will be five in may and has been receiving ot, and speech as well. I would love to talk to you about this because i have had previous experience with "odd" therapists. ###-###-####. Anyway, my son adores these things that he calls "squishies" I think they are actually called water snakes. They sell them at party city and other stores. they are really cheap (like 99cents), and extremely convenient. My son uses these as his way to calm and center himself when he becomes over-stimulated. He loves to squeeze them and holds them to comfort himself. Hope this works for you! good luck.

hi,

WOW. If you are in NY state, there are other options. My son is now 6 and half. He has been receiving therapy since he was about 2 and half. In my county and throughout NY I believe there are programs. My son is now in school, so it is run through the school system. Check your local school. Contact the CSE Chair. I think your son needs a new therapist. I cannot beleive this one is the only one out there. If you need more info, please feel free to contact me.
Have they tried Brushing Therapy with him? It is a surgical brush that they use on my son, they just brush it on his body over his clothes and it gives him the kind of senstation that he is missing for whatever reason and it works.
I wish I could help more, I feel for you.

My 3 year old is also receiving speech and OT... the speech is awesome. I've seen so much progress...then again she come 2days a weeks. The OT just started. My son has the sensory disorder and I too have seen things get worse. He eats next to nothing as far as solid foods, and since he's started with the OT he's down to eating even less. He too get's overstimulated and can't calm himself down to focus on anyone task. He jumps from toy to toy... we only make it thru about 5 min of a cartoon before he's up and tearing something else apart. The speech therapist recommended buying a large flat rubbermaid box and filling it with dry beans (pinto, black bean...etc.) and letting him play in it with small toys. I tell you... it's cheap and you can sweap the beans up and throw them out when they fall out of the box. My son will play for up to an hour with a shovel and other small toys to bury. When he's done with the "bean box" he's calm and easier to deal with.
His OT has him on a sensory based program but he won't cooperate for the OT. (We're on our second OT) I feel lost in what to do for him most days, when I'm too lazy to get the bean box out. What makes things even harder is that my husband is currently deployed... so I'm alone in dealing with this. His service coordinator and speech therapist have told me to stick with it and soon we'll see results. If you want to talk more in depth email me ____@____.com
Best Wishes,

I would recommend the books "the out of synch child" and "the out of synch child has fun" which deal with sensory processing issues. Also, look into "the listenting program" . Are you getting therapy through the school or privately?

Hi T.,

I have 2 kids who are developmentally delayed. My two children are receiving therapy in speech, occupational, and special needs. I can somewhat relate to how this is affecting you and your family. First and foremost if you are unsure about your therapist you need to get rid of them. In the long run your baby is the one that is affected. My suggestion to you is that you look for another agency that can provide the services that you are looking for. There is so much to say... if you would like you can call me at ###-###-#### and I can further explain myself.

I have a 21 month old who is getting speech therapy, (or maybe it's just language therapy?) because he's not talking yet. To be honest, it doesn't seem to be helping, and sometimes afterwards he seems to backtrack to where he wont even say "mama." I was referred to the EIP program by the PA who saw him last, his doctor up and moved away, and this woman was very critical of my son. He was preemie, born at 33 weeks, and so far this is his only delay. The speech therapist seems to think he may have sensory issues too, but I don't think he does. But they're setting up an evaluation with an OT. I'm not really sure what you should do, except that I think you know what is best for your son and whatever you feel is right will ultimately be the best decision. This is my first response here, so please let me know if I did anything wrong. Thanks!

I understand what you are going through. I have an 11 year old that is Autistic, ADHD, and has sensory issues, plus my 5 year old son has ADHD, PDD, and has many ssensory issues as well. When my youngest gets overstimulated, I hold him in my arms, and try to rub the top of his head down the back of his neck. He finds this very soothing. (he also puts things in his mouth, and his hands in his pants when overstimulated) The bean box, or rice box are great ideas also. I know how hard it can be- loud noises in my house, unless they are being made by my son's can turn my home upside down. I found with my older son, that if he has his own music to listen to, with headphones, it relaxes him, and he is old enough to go turn on his music, and tune out everything else, until he feels better. My 5 year old relaxes to music as well. When he was an infant all that would calm him was the Phantom Of The Opera CD!!! Now I just hold him and we sing together. Sensory issues are hard to deal with because sometimes you don't know what will set your child off. I try my best to keep my kids out of these situations, but it will never be perfect. Keep up with the agency that is providing your son's OT. Hopefully soon they can find someone elso a bit less strange. It is also possible that the increase in bad behavior has to do with more demands being placed on your child as he grows older. ( and I don't mean unreasonable demands, but with kids that have these type of problems, it seems that the littlest bit extra can make their behavior worse, until they adapt.) Good luck with your son, and I hope I was able to help a little.

I would talk to the head of the aganies and tell her this perticular theripist and your child are not a match. It would be their responciblity to help find another one. If they are unwilling ofetn hospitals and nursing homes have speech,physical and occupational theripst. I would call some and ask some questions. Sometimes the hospitals see people on out patient basis, or they may know of another ageny that would beable to help. The school districts supply theripst to children in school, so a call to your local grade maybe able to help you find a new theripist as well. I have a 10 year old that has recieved speech, occupatial, and physical therapy since he was 6months. I do know there have been theripist that just couldn't seem to connect with him. Although theipst and agenies don't like to see you leave in reality it doesn't matter. It comes down to whats best for your child. I do have to say that dealing with sensory issues can take awhile and are very hard to change. It isn't uncommon for it to cause tamptrum and things for awhile. My 13 year old has a sensory deficit and it has been very hard to change a lot of his behaviors, and there are some that I have just let him keep, because changing it wasn't working. Good luck!!

1 / 3