Need a Good Book(s) to Read to My Daughters 2Nd Grade Class

I am the mystery reader this week for my daughters 2nd grade class. Any good book(s) recommendations? I have 20 min to read.

I love Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney! I also enjoy Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett.

Have fun!

What about anything by Shel Silverstein.  I love The Giving Tree or Runny Babbit.  Also what about a book like Rikki Tikki Tavi it's about a mongoose that protects a family from a king cobra snake.  Though I don't know how long that one is.

how about some choices from cynthia rylant or chris van allsburg. beautiful illustrations and a little longer. the relatives came might be good with the holidays coming.

A chapter from "Amelia Bedelia" or poems from "Where the Sidewalk Ends" Kids in 2nd grade are 7 years olds and are trapped between the picture books and beginner readers, so some picture books may be too young for them. Books with funny poems in them or ones that make them laugh are always a great hit with them. If you prefer a picture book, "King Bidgood's in the Bathtub" or "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" are more at their level. Those books will really make you popular and cool with the kids.

"The Pidgeon Finds a Hot Dog" by Mo Willems, "It's OK to Be Different" by Todd Parr (or anything by him, really!), or "Horton Hatches the Egg" by Dr. Suess.

Or maybe 2 of these! 20 minutes is a long time, actually!

I read Wacky Wednesday by Dr. Seuss when I was the mystery reader in my daughter's class and the kids went crazy. THey loved looking for the things that were wrong on each page. TOok about 20 minutes to get through the whole thing and really got the kids involved.

Poems from Shel Silverstein books. Some are quite funny.

Cam Jansen mystery series???

I teach third grade, but taught second grade for 7 years. Anything by Robert Munsch or Kevin Henkes. Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse or Chrysanthemum by Henkes are cute and funny. Robert Munsch books are also very funny. Good Luck!

1 / 3