Need a "Different" Meal Idea to Bring to Someone Who Is Sick

Hello. I'm bringing a meal to my pastor and his wife b/c she fell and broke some bones. They are going to be getting meals everynight for several weeks. So, I need an idea for something a bit different to bring, so they don't get 50 lasagnas! And, they don't like spicy food (which I really do, also part of the problem) Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Frankly, I am the complete opposite of Martha Stewart so trying to think of something to cook and bring over to a sick person would cause me great anxiety. Personally, I would go to a place like Dinner Done (they have a website) and pick up a pre-assembled freezer meal that can be tossed in the oven and heated.

I have done these for my family for when I have been out of town for work with great success.

Shepherd's pie?

There are bunches of recipes on the internet.... basically ground beef, mixed veggies, a cream type soup if you like that, topped with mashed potatoes.

You could do homemade potato soup with bread bowls and a salad. You could also bring over sour cream, cheese, bacon bits and chives to add for toppings on the soup. I have a good/easy soup recipe if you want it let me know!
Or you could just get one of those roasted chickens they have at the grocery stores. Then make baked potatoes (bring over toppings) a salad and rolls.
You could also do chicken fajitas. Just make the chicken with mild seasoning, or even just a ranch packet seasoning so it won't be spicy, then send over warm tortillas and toppings. For dessert you could do any easy peach or apple cobbler. I have a recipe that is made with canned pie filling and a box of yellow cake mix that is to die for!!

- Chicken Chili Verde Enchiladas (use mild salsa verde... I use this recipe... But cheat with jarred sauce... Careful, most jarred sauces are medium. OR make the salsa verde with NO peppers )
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted...

- Watermelon Gaspacho
(substitute the Serrano with NO peppers)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/watermelon-gazpacho-re...
Doesn't freeze

- Bourbon Chicken

- Stuffed Sweet Bell Peppers (just stuff with meatloaf and rice)

- Sausages w fresh herbs (just coarsest chop som basil, parsley, sage, and sprinkle over cooked sausages, ups 'boring' to Oh! In 10 seconds) w/ mashed potatoes. Doesn't freeze well, but a good 'fresh' meal to bring over.

- Philly Cheesesteak Sammies

- Hrilled Chicken Skewers w different sauces (I LIVE these when I'm 'broken' just snags one or four out of the freezer and zap.

BBQ!!! (ribs, chicken, whatever) just defrost and warm.

I just made Spaghetti squash and baked chicken parm for my very picky hubby. He loved it.

1 spaghetti squash cut in half with pulp and seeds scraped out.
2 chicken breasts
1 egg
2-3 tbs Italian bread crumbs
a little bit of parm cheese
2 cups any type of spaghetti squash

put squash in oven (on rack open side up) on 350 for 40 min.
coat chicken with egg. put in baking dish and sprinkle both sides with bread
crumbs. cook chicken on 350 as well for 30-35 min.
when done, scrape out squash with fork or spoon. put chicken on top. pour
sauce on top. sprinkle cheese and you are all done! :)

This is pretty healthy and tasty. One squash makes enough for 2 (maybe 3 depending on how much they eat).

I was also going to suggest a soup of some kind. I know it's not soup weather, but it's different. ;)

Tacos is kinda different and it's fun and easy. I've done it before, just browned the meat and bought a small think of sour cream, shredded cheese and salsa. Then I chop up some lettuce and olives maybe and put it in a tupperware. You could also do a cheesy corn side dish or beans which is nice.

Baked chicken is also good and somewhat different. I use bone-in chicken and just season it with salt, paper, oregano and a little bit of butter. Put a small amount of liquid in the bottom and cook for an hour or so. Lots of sides go with that!

Stuffed tomatoes and peppers are fairly easy and in season. You can find lots of recipes on line.

You could do breakfast for dinner. You could do an egg bake and some sausage with a side of hash browns and a carton of orange juice...they probably won't get two of those! ;)

Taco soup is so easy! Add some tortilla chips and cheese on the side. Maybe some sour cream also. PM me if you need a recipe. It's basically ground beef and beans, corn, tomatoes, seasonings - mostly all canned.

Stop by Costco and pick up a rotisserie chicken and make a side-salad.

Shepherd's pie?

I would take them a fruit basket that you make yourself. Add some chocolates to it and call and ask or think of groceries like juice, milk and such you may need if you are laid up. are they an older couple? Cause you say sick but broken bones is not necessarily sick. Also, is it just them or do they have other family members at the house all these things play into this decision. Do something off the beaten track they will appreciate it and not miss a fully cooked meal if someone is bringing something every night!
Sometimes they may need things more than food and be overwhelmed with dishes.

A friend of mine was once in a situation so we all decided to prepare meals for them. When it came to us I was so busy with school and student teaching there was no way I was going to be able to prepare something for our day and so we called them and they said they had more than enough food. So we made a date to meet them for dinner the next night instead. They told us at the end of dinner that they were so grateful just to get out of the house (they were in mourning) and be out talking and in public with friends and not home taking visitors and meals...just a little story to let you know its ok not to stick to the norm all the time.

1 / 3