Need a Cool Recipe for Family Reunion

This Sunday is my annual family reunion. It's about 45min- 1hr away, and we'll be leaving right after church. I'm looking for a recipe that will travel well, can be prepared ahead of time, and doesn't need to be refridgerated. I thought maybe a sweet pastry would stand up well, but I'm not really experienced in that catagory. Also, I have a baby shower to attend on Sat. so I need something that doesn't take all day to prepare. If it fell into the catagories of simple, and inexpensive that would be great too! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the recipe ideas. I went to the foodnetwork site and found a paula deen recipe for blueberry tarts. These were mostly cream cheese and I was able to freeze them overnite and just let then thaw during church and on the way there. I topped them with blueberries when I got there and it worked beautifuly. Not only did you all help, but I have a reserve of recipes to reference the next time I have to cook for something like that!!

My favorite is Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake. Here is the link for the chocolate version. I've never put the nuts in mine but that's a judgement call. The regular recipe uses a regular yellow cake mix and omits the cocoa.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/double-choc...

I know you don't want anything that needs to be chilled, but this is quick, easy and can pretty much keep itself cold (just have someone hold it in the front seat next to the air vent or on the floorboard under a vent. anyways.. quick n easy.. (and we have an hour fifteen minute drive to our family functions, and we have never used the cooler for this cake)

Punch Bowl Cake (easy version)
1 round pound cake
1 16 oz bowl of frozen strawberries (in juices)
1 LG bowl of strawberry-flavored cool whip
2 tub or bag of strawberry glaze
1 PUNCH BOWL

Thaw out strawberries on countertop or overnight in fridge. Thaw out cool whip for an hour or so on countertop. after strawberries are thawed, mix them with the strawberry glaze. Cut pound cake into thick slices broken in half, layer them onto bottom of the bowl. top that with a layer of strawberry mix. then a layer of cool whip, and then repeat until bowl is full. With leftover items, make a small one for yourself and family, because once people try the punch bowl cake, there won't be any left for you to have.

For decoration, just use some fresh cut strawberries and plop them on the top in some kind of decoration if you want. I usually don't bother our family knows our punch bowl cake and digs in.

P.S. if you want the tastier version, and a lil bit harder, but worth it, just send me a msg

P.P.S. On the pound cake, if you don't cut the slices in half, you wont have enough for your cake.

EASY, IMPRESSIVE, AND VERY FORGIVING APPLE DUMPLINGS

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45
Ready In: 55
Yields: 16 servings

INGREDIENTS:
2 apples
2 8-pack of crescent rolls
2 sticks butter (I use 1 1/4 sticks)
1 1/2 cups of sugar (I use only 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup Splenda)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
12 oz Mountain Dew (diet caffeine free)

DIRECTIONS:
1. peel core 2 apples--wedges--8 each apple so 16 wedges total (I don't peel the apples)
2. wrap each wedge in a crescent roll starting at wide end
3. butter (or spray) 9x13 pan and put the cresent in -put on sides so skinny side down. (I don't always notice what dumpling side I put down. I also fill gaps in between with extra apple slices, if available.)
4. Melt butter--add sugar and cinnamon and spoon over the rolls. (I bring butter, sugars, cinnamon to boil in a pan first, then pour over the rolls.)
5. Pour 12 oz Mountain Dew over the whole lot
6. 350 for 45 minutes

This pasta salad is really good, and you can either leave out the cheese or put the cheese in a cooler and add it when you get there.
Pasta and Spinach Salad
1/2 cup olive or cooking oil
1/2 c vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp dried basil, crushed
1/3 c sliced pitted black olives
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz corkscrew macaroni (rotini)
8 oz colby cheese, cubed
1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
3 c torn fresh spinach

Combine oil, vinegar, dry mustard, oregano, basil, and minced garlic for marinade; set aside. Cook pasta and drain. Place pasta in container and pour marinade over it. Cool pasta to room temperature. Then add cheese cubes, peppers, and olives. Toss mixture again. Chill for several hours or overnight. Before serving, add fresh spinach. Mix again to coat. Serves 8.

Also, someone else mentioned a Paula Deen recipe, which made me think of her orange brownie recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/orange-brow...
They are really good, and are excellent with white chocolate chips added.

One of the easiest things I make that always goes wonderful at get-togethers is my salsa dip.
1 lb of browned hamburger
1 jar of salsa (I find the cheap kind actually tastes better)
1/2 block of Velvetta cheese - cubed (again, the cheap brand is usually better)

mix the browned hamburger with the whole jar of salsa. Cut the blocked cheese into cubes and add a few at a time into the mix and melt in the microwave. Mix in melted cheese. Keep ading and mixing cheese until it's as cheesy as you like. Add a bag of Tortilla Chips.

That's it.
You may not be able to take it to the reunion, but maybe the shower. I usually put it in a small crockpot and plug in the crockpot when I get where I'm going. Or put it in a bowl small enough for the microwave and put it in the microwave when I get where I'm going, whichever it easier.
Hope everything goes well. Good Luck!!

Just wanted to add to the comment aboutt he punch bowl cake. I make this alot as well.. you can also add into your layers.. drained chunk pineapple just to give it a little extra kick. But its a great summer dessert!

My brain is not working at the moment (I have 2 small toddlers, need I say more?) but my favorite recipe site could help you. Try http://allrecipes.com/ I think you will love this site! I sure do.

I don't know any recipes that you could use off the top of my head, but look at kraftfoods.com and foodnetwork.com and search for recipes within your parameters. Good luck!

1 / 3