Neck Cheese

My DD is three months old. I have been dealing with this neck cheese thing and am dumbfounded as to what to do next. Her neck folds are bright red and constantly have cheese. I wipe them out all the time and all that does is crack them open and they bleed a bit. I bathe her frequently and make sure her neck is clean and dry. It stinks something awful. I have tried lanolin, Desitin Clear, A&D ointment, and Lortramin cream on her neck. Once I think I have it cleared up, it comes back even worse. I'm going to take my other children to the dr's on Wednesday, but don't know if I should say something to them. Any advice?

First,let me say thank you for all the responses. I will try a few and let the dr know tomorrow. Most of the clear creams I have tried turn into this white, foamy mess when they have been in her neck for so long. BUT, I will try again. I will also let everyone know what the dr says. Thanks again.

Like the other moms have said it is a yeast infection. My son had this. Get Lotrimin a.k.a Clotrimazole. You can find the Lotrimin AF in the womens aisle at CVS. And the Clotrimazole in the Foot Section (its a fungal creme for atheletes foot and other fungi). You'll need the 1% though which would be the Clotrimazole. Use it daily and keep using it for a week after the break out heals.

Hey C.,

Sounds like a yeast infection. I battled the same with one of mine and that's what the doctor told me. I got a tube of Medicated yeast cream like vagisil and it cleared it right up smell and all.

Hope it helps!!

I had a similar problem with my daughter (who's a year old now) and it was formula spilling into her neck line from the bottles. I would actually lay a receiving blanket across her chin under the bottle to catch it. It sounds like you are already doing what you need to to clean it up once it hits her neck, but maybe you can try preventing it from getting there.

C. ,

Try some Aveeno Oatmeal products .( creams , bath wash , soaps )or call your child's doctor for a check-up .

The only thing that got rid of it for my son was age... He grew out of it. I tried all kinds of things. Mostly what worked best was to keep an absorbent bib on him. When he quit drooling and actually grew a neck instead of 8 chins, it went away.

Sorry I'm not any help, but thought you might like to know you weren't alone!

C. Yes, the famous "neck cheese" lol. My son had the same problem when he was that age. He just turned a year old last week. Don't use babywipes on your child the stuff used in baby wipes cause irritated skin to dry out and crack. I used a baby wash cloth and gently washed it away. To heal the cracks use a tiny bit of bag balm a little goes a long way. You can find it at any store or pharmacy just ask for it. It comes in a pint size green tin square can. I hope this helps;)

I haven't actually gone through this, but it sounds like some sort of yeast infection. I would definitely take her to a doctor. She may need to take something orally to clear it up for good. Good luck.

Have you seen your periatrician? It may be a yeast infection. Those need to be tackled two-fold. You need an external medicine and some form of antibiotic to tackle it internally. I would schedule an appointment immediately.

also, I don't use any diape rash ointment when my son's skin is raw. My doctor said it only makes things worse. He told me to keep it moist and protected...maybe with something like petroleum jelly. Also, be careful with lanolin. Lanolin is made from sheep's wool. If yor cild is allergic to wool, you could be making things worse.

I would DEFINITELY say something to the pediatrician. Also, I was going to suggest Lanolin to get it cleared up initially, but I see that you've tried that. Have you tried Neosporin? Also, try using baby powder or cornstarch under the neck. We used that under the neck, armpits, and some hard-to-reach folds and never had a problem again. (My daughter would get cheesy too...) If you're nursing, check the latch. She's obviously leaking milk somewhere...if you're bottle feeding, try a different nipple, or a different system.

Although it is not a cure, I use an ointment called Aquaphor (you can get it at Wal-mart)on everything (cuts, diaper rash, scratches, bruises) with our twins (now 2 yrs). I also us it on the cracks on my hands and feet. They get so sore and bleed and after a dose or two they get much better. Try it!

1 / 3