Natural Remedies for 2 y.o.'s Bad Cough

My son has a really nasty cough which is effecting his sleep. He typically naps for 2-2 1/2 hrs, but the past 2 days it's only been 20 minutes because he wakes himself up from coughing. We are using Baby Vicks on his chest, saline drops and a vaporizer in his room.
Any other ideas on how to help the cough??

Have you taken him to the Doctor and had his cough evaluated?
That would be best....
many things can cause a cough...
If he gets any worsening symptoms or fever.... he needs to go to the Doctor.

As an aside: Pertussis is 'epidemic' in some States.

If he can't nap because of the cough, then he probably cannot sleep at night either. So either way, he is getting lack of sleep.... which affects the body's recovery and healing...

Honey! It's amazing how much it helps!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/honey/AN01799

Also, if the cough has been going on for more than a week, or if he's spiking fevers, it might be time to have him seen, might have evolved into pneumonia or bronchitis.

I know that the fda recently pulled cough medicine off the shelf for under 4 so this is what I do. 1 part lemon juice to 2 parts honey mixed in a small amount of warm water. It really helps soothe an irritated throught. Be sure to clean the vaporizer every few weeks or so with water and vinegar it will really help too! Hope he gets better :]

That would be best....
many things can cause a cough...

Vicks could be part of the problem. It seems to help some kids, but studies have shown it actually increases congestion for quite a few kids. I can't stand to be around anything mentholated myself – gives me asthma and gets me coughing even if I wasn't before.

I've heard Samubcus syrup (elderberry syrup) recommended – available in health food sections. I've never tried it. I believe it is said to build the child's immune response.

Honey can help soothe throats, and reportedly might help quiet coughs.

If some of the cough is from post-nasal drip, the saline should help. There's a fine-mist nasal spray for young children that they may tolerate better.

You don't say what the cause is for his cough. If it was a cold or flu, it might be wise to have a pediatrician check it. Kids can get secondary infections and pneumonia.

We got some natural cough medicine at whole foods. They have a children's section and the people there can help you choose one.

My 3 year old son is just getting over a cold that he's had all week. He had a very runny nose and a constanst, harsh, phleghmy cough. His coughing kept waking him up as well. Our pharmacist recommened Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Chestal Homeopathic Cough Syrup, Honey. It is honey based and safe for children 2 yrs old and older. You can find it at Walgreens, CVS, almost anywhere. Directions say to give him a teaspoon every 2 hours. We found that is worked best when done just that, given every 2 hours. But my son grew tired of it and his cough continues. It is worth giving it a try! It provided us some relief. Also, like many of your responses, we've had great success with just plain honey as well. Finally, I think someone else mentioned this but the one thing that *always* works for coughs in rubbing vicks on your son's feet then put on socks at night and my son can sleep through the night even with a bad cough, it's amazing!

there is a brand of natural remedies that is sold right along with the childrens cold medicine at most pharmacies/grocery stores. It is called Little Remedies. The have a "Little Cough" remedy that is great. Mostly honey I think. All natural and safe for anyone over the age of 1

Honey! It's amazing how much it helps!

As previous post; Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Chestal Cough Syrup. This is what we use here in our home, for both my toddler and I. It works great. Also just honey will also soothe a cough, if you can, try finding Buckwheat honey, which is a dark amber honey, it works best for coughs. Sometimes if the cough is very persistent, I top off the Boiron Chestal with an xtra teaspoon of honey. Works every time :)

1 / 3