Natural Insect Repellent Suggestions

Just wondering if anyone has had luck with any natural (non-chemical) insect repellents. I'd like to not spray my children with chemicals, but if I don't we get eaten alive! Also, I've been trying Burt's Bees with some success (less bites than using nothing, but still getting bites), so I thought I'd see if there's anything better out there.

I use a combibation of Melaleuca products with water in a spray bottle. If you have Melaleuca's Wellness Guide, it's in there. We used it all summer long, we were at state parks with Maryland DNR's Park Quest program.

Skin So Soft products (lotion, oil, sprays)by Avon all work. Thats what I use on my entire famil when outdoors. Its also good to keep deer ticks off as well! Smile

Here are some alternatives I looked into:
http://safemama.com/tag/bite-blocker/

I used this with my first child when she was young:
Bite Blocker® Herbal Spray
Bite Blocker® Herbal Lotion
Main Ingredients: Soybean Oil

I purchased it at MOM's Organic Market in Rockville.

Our ped. says to use DEET, as it's the only chemical proven to keep bugs (esp. ticks) away. She suggests that if you do use a DEET repellent, spray it on clothes (bottom of pants, sleeves), but avoid the face.

I think we were pretty successful with stuff called "Badger Balm" we bought it at whole foods.

-Putting a dryer sheet inside your pocket or tucked in the baby stroller works pretty good.
-One of my friends just got involved with DOTERRA essential oils which are all natural and one of their products acts as an insect repellant among other things.
-Skin-So-Soft lotion from Avon is really good. Not sure why, but it works and smells really good!

Hi, camping supply stores (like Bass Pro Shop/Gander Mountain etc.) have these little wrist bands that you can wear that keep the bugs away. I think they still have some sort of chemical, but it's in a non-ingestible and non-saturating format, so it's a lot more acceptable for moms of little ones. We took several with us camping in Shenandoah a few weeks ago and they worked great (over the whole 3 day two night trip we suffered maybe three bites collectively). For my littlest one (almost two) I either put it around his ankle or most often tied it to the draw strings of his shorts.

Vinegar. I swear it works and its harmless if swallowed. Something else I've done is Off has the clip ons now, I clip it onto the canopy of the stroller and my son and whoever is pushing the stroller are bite free!

There are some store bought products that are DEET free, such as Off family version with Picaridin as the active ingredient. It is a plant-based chemical that naturally repels mosquitos, and works almost as well as DEET. Avon repellants do work well also, but if you buy the sunscreen/bug repellant combo product, don't reapply to get more sun protection. Just add more suncreen only.

1 / 3