Natural Birth

Looking for tips and encouragement for a natural birth experiance with my second child. I had an epidural with my 1st which went fine but I am really interested in natural birth for the next one. I have not taken any medication while pregnant and want to keep it that way throughout labor, thinking this is beneficial for my baby. I also want to see what my body is capable of and heard there is a better recovery time for natural births. Anyone had any experiance with water births or other natural births stories of encouragement? What method did you use to deal with pain or what book did you find had helpful advice? I am interested in any thoughst on the subject.

Everyone on here is wonderful. I appreciate your support. I am looking forward to laboring my baby naturally God willing.

Hi L.~
Im sure you'll get lots of great advice on here, these moms always come thru! I have had 3 babies 3 different ways and I just have to add my two cents. It's not about the trip, it's about the destination. The prize is the same at the end and no matter what your birth experience turns out to be, you'll still get to go home with a precious new baby! I would never try to discourage natural childbirth, I just hate to see some moms get way too hard on themselves if it is just too much and they end up with medication. Trust your body...if you can do it, great! But you are no less a good mommy if you choose pain relief!
Good luck to you!
~L.

Yeah for you!!! I've had two natural births, the last being at home even. I used the Bradley Method and took classes both times. They were wonderful classes. They really help you to understand your body and how it can take care of this process naturally. Our bodies really do know what to do! You practice lots of relaxation techniques. And you get lots of moral support! I felt very informed when I was done with the class!

I hope that your husband supports this 100% because my husband was the best coach possible!! I couldn't have made it without him! Throughout the Bradley classes he learned the best methods to relax me, how to read my body, how to really be in tune with me in order to know what I liked and wanted. He was support, encouragement, massage, and a hand to squeeze. If you have the baby in the hospital, I imagine he has to be the one to be firm about doing thing naturally because I've heard many nurses/doc's aren't into that and sometime get pushy. You'll be in pain so unless there is an emergency, he must be the firm one and keep you committed.

Bradley classes will give you so many exercises and methods for relaxation and pain management (for birth preparation too)! For me, the bathtub was wonderful! I didn't have a waterbirth, but being in the warm water helped immensely! Moving around sure didn't feel good while in labor, but they say it helps. :) Back massage helped also. A friend of mine said that sitting on a birthing ball helped her. Oh, I also liked leaning over with arms on a table letting my belly hang. And this may sound funny but groaning during contractions helped deal with the pain; did that both times.

My first baby was born at a free standing birth center (not connected to a hospital) so it was much like a home birth. I went home 6 hours after the baby was born. Neither birth did I have stitches. I can't compare it to anything, but recovery was very easy.

I guess I've gone on enough...I love talking with people who are into natural births! Feel free to write me if you have any other questions or just need to hear someone say, "YOU CAN DO IT!!"

I am glad to hear you are going to try a natural birth. I had an epidural with my first and with my second I did natural birth and what a difference!!! I used a lot of mind stimulation. I used music and tried putting my mind in another place staying very relaxed. My husband helped a lot as well with massage and soothing techniques. Best of Luck to you!!

Congrats on your upcoming baby! I had my daughter without drugs, even though she was a week late and it was a 33 hours of hard labor. It was awesome! Giving birth was so empowering and I loved it! Two things helped me get through this with a smile on my face. The first is that I had a doula. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Doula's but they are labor assistants. My doula was also a certified message therapist so she messaged my back during my contractions, which really releived the pain. I read the book The Doula Advantage by Rachel Gurevich. I really think that my doula was the key to my positive birth experience. She kept me positive and focused on my goal of a natual childbirth. The second thing that my husband and I did is Hypnobirthing. Check out http://www.hypnobirthing.com. This method basically gives you ways to relax and refocus during contractions. So, good luck on your upcoming baby. I hope that this helped.

Hi, L.. I love to hear that women are looking into more natural ways of birthing their babies! I birthed my daughter in a MA hospital with a midwife, and although they gave me pitocin, I birthed her naturally without any meds. I birthed my son here at home, and although I had wanted to birth him in water, or at least labor in water, his birth was so quick that the tub didn't fill fast enough. You're welcome to email me if you want to talk more about my experiences.

A great place to start is to check out if there are Bradley classes in your area. Go to www.bradleybirth.com and you can find out if there are some located near you. Some great books to check out are called "Birthing From Within" and "The Thinking Woman's Guide to Birth". You can read more about them both at Amazon's website.

A GREAT magazine for this kind of information is "Mothering", and they have a great online forum community on their website, too: www.mothering.com.

Best wishes for a strong and beautiful birth!

Peace,

Read Bradley Method books and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth book.

L., I too had an epidural with my first child but then went completely (or almost) natural with my second. I hated my epidural so it was out of the question for me. I was induced because my baby was so big, which is where the almost from above comes in. My labor was much faster and much better. I had prepared myself from the moment I was pregnant to go natural. I didn't take any child birth classes, it was all a mental game with myself. During labor I couldn't walk around, I was tethered to the monitors, but when I had a contraction I would breathe through it and know that it would soon be over. I moved from my bed to a rockingchair. My boyfriend was there to massage my shoulders and my back. Having him there was extremelly helpful to my emotional state! When the contractions got worse I would concentrate on my breathing and ignore everything else. The labor didn't get bad until my son was ready to come. At that time I was ready for something but could not express it through the pain. My son was born half an hour, or at least thats what I remember it being, after the labor became bad. I had the urge to push and my doctor told me to go ahead and push. It was so great! I would do it again in a heartbeat! I loved being in control of my body and knowing what I needed to do and when he was ready. A half hour after I had him I was up and using the bathroom, I was then able to be in the nursery when he had his first bath! When I had my first I never wanted to leave my room, and only got up to walk when they forced me to. I highly recommend going the natural route! Talk to your doctor about some pain medication when the labor gets bad, because they have narcotic pain reliever they can give you but when it gets bad you might not be able to ask for it.

I've done it both ways, and have VERY fast births, which is why I have done it both ways, didn't make it to the hospital, and I can honestly say thier is no way I would choose "natural" when given the choice between pain meds or not, all births are natural regardless of pain meds, and all of my children are perfectly normal and bright! If your doing it to see how long you can handle it then don't, the recovery was the same with all of my children.

1 / 3