Nasal Decongestant Ideas for 18 Month Old

My 18 month old is so stuffed up, she can't breathe, she can't sleep and is miserable from a common cold. Is there anything else I can give/do for her besides saline drops?

What about good old fashion Vicks? Seems to work around here. Other than that, changing her diet so her body can recover.

Hi J. -

I feel for ya, I remember those days of feeling helpless because there isn't much you can do. I would suggest you raise the head of her bed, if it's a crib still go up one notch on the head side or if it's a toddler bed then put a book or two under the legs of the bed to raise her up. Then I would use a steam vaporizer with Vicks in it. You can also lather the bottoms of her feet with Vicks Vapor Rub and put socks on her. That will help, too. I also used a nose squeegie to pull out the mucus. Remember, though, if there is any color to her congestion it is most likely an infection needing antibiotics.

Hope she feels better soon.

I use a warm steam vaporizer, it really seams to help. I have the one made by vicks, so it has a spot where you can put the vicks vapor mist if you want.

My ped said the only safe thing I can give my 18 mnth old is Benedryl. (well and of course tylonel.) The dosage for a 18 month 24 lb is 1/2 TEASPOON. MAke sure not tablespoon. If your child weighs much more than that you can ask your pharmicist or ped.

Also try slightly elevating the side of the mattress where her head is. It doesn't have to be a lot, like with a shirt or something under it. Vicks, humidifier and extra cuddles. It'll be over soon. :o)

My doctor would say if she's nursing put some mothers milk in her nose. It's the right ph and has the good antibodies. Not many I know nurse that long, if at all.
I hope she's feeling better quick. Good luck, A. H

Hi J.~
I always used Vicks Vapor Rub and the Johnsons vapor bath and has worked wonders. I also love to use the PediaCare Vapor Plug at night occasionally but the light on it super bright but it is very strong and works really well. I would talk to your doctor about a decongestant just because I know not all kids repond well to them. My son used to get really hyper and cranky with them and you want to make sure there isn't a cough suppressant in the over the counter medicine - you really want the kiddos to cough that stuff out not suppress it. Also a humidifier in the room may help as well. It is the time of year...Good Luck and I hope she feels better soon!

Make sure you have a humidifier in her room and run it during nap time and bed time.

Call your doctor and ask them if it's okay if you give something you can get over the counter. My doctor had me give my daughter 1/2 of one of the triaminic "strips" when she was congested at 16 months. Some of the over the counter drugs are safe to give a child under 2 but only after asking your doctor for the correct dosage (they always just put "ask doctor" for under 2 in the instructions on the packages).

Get some Vicks Baby Vapo rub.

1 / 3