Napping - Bella Vista,AR

Ok..how many of you have 3 1/2 year olds who still take naps?? I am tired of fighting mine every day to lay down and be quiet, she plays in her bed for 2 hours and is a total grouch the rest of the day. If we have to go somewhere she falls asleep in the car before we make it out of the neighborhood. Some days she will finally fall asleep about the time her sister wakes up from nap and I have to wake her up to eat dinner-and she wakes up grouchy and won't eat etc...So, i still feel like she needs one-or she wouldn't be so grouchy when she doesn't get one. Am I losing my happy hour?? or should I still battle her over naptime? Help please!

Thanks to everyone for all the responses, I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks a 3 year old needs a nap! We're still calling it naptime, although she rarely sleeps. If we go to the pool or lake in the morning or have to get her up early (Sundays) she will take a nap, but usually she just plays. I've told her on days when it looks like she won't sleep that she may look at books, but she needs to be quiet, and sometimes she will fall asleep doing that. She seems to be getting used to not napping if that is possible, she's normally not as grouchy anymore and she doesn't fall asleep as soon as we get in the car. I am still able to get some things done, even if I need to go out in the yard for awhile-I can trust her to stay in her room as long as she is occupied with books she seems pretty content. So its good-and she may go back to napping when preschool starts up in September!!

I have cared for some children who would not fall asleep unless I sat beside them and kept them from sitting up. I have rubbed backs on some. I tell them: "You don't have to go to sleep, but head, bottom and feet had to be on the bed at all times!" Following that rule is hard for a tired kid to do without falling asleep.

C.,

You don't mention what time you put her down but I found that with my 3 year old the earlier I put him down the better he goes to sleep. So, if he gets up at 6:30, its seems that the best time for nap is 10 or 10:30... maybe 11! Good luck!

Oh mine did this too. I would say yes that at this age she still needs a nap......BUT....fighting her for a nap is much worse.

So what I did was, when the kids got to this point, I let them lay down and rest. You know have quiet time, but I let them watch tv. AS LONG as they were laying down all was good, but if they got up to play the tv went off.

Quiet time would sometimes lead to nap time, but the important thing is they are getting some rest.

http://www.wellnessiseasy.com
Going green is EASY!

you might try putting in favorite movie. we had my husbands granddaughter and when it was time for a nap i would ask her which movie she wanted and she had to lay down and watch it she usually fell asleep watching it. when my daughter who is 17 months doesnt get a nap she is awful so i know how it is, good luck, well continue with ours for sure.

C.,

Children really need a nap, now saying that I have kept children over 20 years and have two children of my own. Of course some children don't like it, but once they rest things go more smooth in the afternoon. My day-care kids new our rule , but ever now and then we would get one who just hated a nap. Well each child is different, so I would telll him that he had to lay there quitely during nap time, he didn't have to go to sleep, but that he was going to rest quitely,and not wake up the other children who were taking there nap. Take care! S.

Having a daycare out of my home, trying to get kids to take naps usually only takes a consistent routine. It takes my newcomers about 4-5 days to get into the routine that after lunch, we brush our teeth, use the restroom, wash our hands, then lay down & let our bodies rest. I always play some kind of music for them, not always slow and relaxing. (If I only play the slow & relaxing kind, then any noise wakes them up. With all kinds, they tend to get used to the different "noises" in the music and sleep through it.)
This worked for my own three children a few years back prior to my daycare routine. Good luck!

My three year old still takes naps, but not everyday. When he was in daycare, he would lay down every day and quite often fell asleep. Now that I am home for the summer, I have him still lay down. I turn on PBS, and tell him he has to lay down for quiet time. He does not have to fall asleep, but he has to lay down and rest. Most often, he falls asleep, other times, he just plays. I can tell you that my 12 month old does not always get to take a nap at the same time though. There are days that I am just alternating which kid is awake all day long.

Sounds like naptime is over for your daughter. My daughter gave her naptime up about the same time....it wasn't worth her being sooo grouchy afterwards. Maybe some quiet time in her room, or watching a movie might help...I had a friend who would let her daughter nap every other day, or every few days until she got over the hump. My daughter (now 4.5) will still fall asleep in the car (if we are going very far)but that doesn't happen very often. Good Luck, L.

mine is almost 4 and we lost our regular naptime almost a year ago. the only way to get him to nap is to really wear him out with a lot of intense morning activity and then to take him for a drive or lay him down on the couch in the afernoons. otherwise, he'll nap at school but not at home. i think its pretty normal.

1 / 3