Nap Time

My 4 month old boy is a great sleeper at night, usually 7 hours straight and then 1 feeding and then he's down again for another 3 or so. Our problem is during the day. I can't get him to take naps at home. He has become very used to being in the stroller on walks with me. I am thinking that it is time to let him cry it out during the day for his naps. How long should I let him cry? I've read HSHHC and Babywise. He usually goes about 1.5-2 hours between needing to sleep again. I am getting caught between feeling that he is too young and wanting to teach him how to fall asleep on his own. Helpful tips and opinions would be great.

Get a copy of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Everyone I know swears by it and it works!

Let him cry it out. The earlier you start the better it will be. It should only take a few days, (4 for my son) and then they get the hang of it! Those are 4 really hard days though! You have to be tough, and not get them up no matter what. I would go in every 15-20 min. and say nap time, or night time and lay him back down. After a few days the crying becomes less and less and now both my boys go dowm without a peep. Once he can stand in the crib he might start crying again, just go back in and lay him down every 15-20 min. and he should get the hang of it again!

J. H

May be you coulg slowly transition him out of the stroller. Start by walking him around the back yard, then the living room, then in his room. I wiukd then try in his room just rocking him back and forth in the stroller. finally just put him in the stroller and don't touch it. once he can fall asleep with out motion you can then show him that he can sleep in his crib or where ever you would like him to sleep.

The other thing that worked for my son for naps was to do his bed time routine for naps. Minus the bath. we read several stories nurse and the rock for a while. i am now able to get about an hour out of him for his naps.

Hope this helps
A.

I have a lil man myself and this is the first time I am a mom and a single one at that. I have found a routine foe my lil guy. when he starts to rub his eyes i pick him up on the couch with me and he strattles my knee. We rock a little or bounce and i pat his back and then he usually falls asleep on me in like 2 - 5 minutes then after i hear his breathing increase I know he is out so I will put him on the couch with pillows on the floor incase he rolls or i pick him up and put himin his crib....i think now he knows the routine and what is expected then he falls asleep easier. Justa thought, he is one now and we still have our routine. I would hate for you to also demand the naps and then he stops sleeping through the night. Teething is coming up and night time sleep isnt all that great for the months to follow.

This is the time when I transitioned my boy from napping in the stroller to napping in the crib. First I would have him fall asleep in the stroller, then put the stroller in the room for the nap (about 1 and a half weeks of this). Then I moved him to the crib for the nap and would let him cry for about 15 - 20 minutes. While hearing him cry was hard, it worked and in about 4-5 days, he no longer cried and looks forward to his naps. He is 27 months now and my only advice is DO THE WORK NOW!!! There are sleep transitions later that if you haven't done the work now (learning to sleep on his own) it will only get harder. Whereas if you do the work now, you will get through the later transitions much more easily. Good luck!

I know that we are all different and have different needs but I urge you to please not let him cry it out. Many babies sleep better on the go - stroller, carseat etc. I've been a nanny and a mom for years and have let many babies fall asleep in the stroller and then wheel the stroller into the house. There's also nothing wrong with letting him sleep in a vibrating bouncie seat and they also have protable vibrating devices now that you can put in the baby's crib or bassinet or wherever you are. Sleeping in a swing is fine too. Babies like movement. They slept on the go, bouncing around all the time in our bellies! I'd much rather have a baby who was addcited to sleeping with some sort of motion than who learned to fall asleep by crying his heart out and feeling disconnected. Especially at 4 months old!! They also like white noise so an air filter or fan in the room might help as well. Please, I'm not judging you at all, just urging you to use that motherly love and instinct and see a different way to go about this. Good luck!

Not being able to get your little one to nap is very frustrating, but even the CIO advocates state not to use it before 6 months. Have you read The No Cry Sleep Solution? That helped us with naps. I would really try every other method before going to CIO.

I read Babywise too, and honestly it is not for me, so you can take advice with a grain of salt.
My boy is the same 4 mo. and 1.5-2 hours between naps and he only naps for around 25-45 minutes.
It could just be a phase. As they get older babies are supposed to drop a nap and get down to two a day, then one right? Well according to my MIL my husband NEVER napped!! So it really depends on the child.
Do you nurse to sleep? If he likes the motion of the stroller how about a swing, that worked great for us to keep him asleep for a long time (until he out grew it).
I rock my boy to sleep, then put him down. That works much better, and I wait until he is sleepy. He has created his own schedule the gives me some idea of when I will have free time. I also do extra tummy time to wear him out, and extend playing to make sure he is sleepy.

J. H

1 / 3