Naming Your Baby

Why is naming your child sooo hard. We are expecting baby # 3 and each child has gotten harder and harder to decide. At the beginning of this pregnancy we thought we had the perfect names, but since have started doubting ourselves. We have allowed so much outside influence into the baby naming thing that we now are not sure if we have the right name or not. Our girl name is McKenzie Rose and our boy name is Nicholai Michael. So many people have commented on the boy name being the name of a demean from a book and I just cant get over it. My own MIL doesn't care for our names and that is hard swallow.

Have you allowed outside influence to pick your childs name - or did you just name your baby whatever you wanted?

I have to say first off that one of my sons is Lucas Nikolai Antonio so no, I don't think Nikolai is a demon at all, he's my angel :) I let my kids' father help pick a name, but otherwise told ppl oh well, they had their chances to pick names, this is my chance.

After 3 kids, and a lot of people telling me how much they hated my names for all of them, not to mention the ideas we have for baby number 4, I gave up. he has a name, but I haven't even told my kids because i don't want them to tell anyone. After the baby comes and is named, no one will say it's a terrible name. They all got over it with my first 3. By the way I love both choices. We settled on Hayden Nathaniel, but shhhhh don't tell. LOL

I just named them what I wanted. I named my all with the initials VM. Vadin Mark, Vance Mickel, Valena Marie. My aunt threw a fit and said she was going to just call them V1,V2,V3. She doesn't and even if she did, I don't care. My inlaws love the names of my second 2 because they come close to family names. The names of Michael and Marie come from much loved family members although I did not know that when I chose them. My dad bragged that he was born in Vadin, Arkansas after my son was born, a fact that I also did not know when I chose the name. If it helps any, I love the names you have picked out.

We had a few "outside" influences, mostly family due to the timing of my pregnancy.

At first we just decided to go with families names that weren't too immediate. As it turned out Naomi (My mom's second name) and Christine (MIL first name and favorite book character) worked out well. It also helped smooth the ruffled feathers of my ultra conservative MIL.

Do what makes you happy.

There's a good book out there called Baby Name Wizard (I think there's a website too...not sure of the web address)- it even suggests sibling names based on the names of the child(ren) you already have - pretty neat!

My son is Nicholas and Nicholai is such a cool name (I don't know any demons by that name!). I didn't let anyone influence our decision...Nicholas is our child therefore we are entitled to naming rights! Don't let anyone bring you down - the names you chose are very nice!

Just name your child as you/Hubby wish.

It is not up to other people's inclinations or hang-ups.
There are hang-ups about any name, per each person and culture... you can't please everyone.
It is YOUR child... not theirs.

If you Google Search "baby name meanings"... you can also find out what the 'meaning' of a name is.... that is what we did to name our children. We chose a name, ourselves. Not according to other relatives opinions.
Our kids, have names which reflect their cultural heritage... both mine and my Hubby's which are different cultures. My kids LOVE their names.

good luck,
Susan

We chose what we wanted, but we refused to share with anyone until the baby was born and named officially. We didn't want anyone's opinion and figured most people are much less likely to share their thoughts about names once the baby's born. We just told askers that we hadn't decided yet. I couldn't care less who likes my kids' names- the important part was that we loved them! Choose your own, and politely tell those with opinions about the names that you're not interested in hearing their thoughts!

We told no one what we were naming our daughter until after she was born.

I did not want a cutesy name where there would be 3-4 kids in the same class with the name. I didn't want a trendy or odd spelled name either.

I thought about my daughter as a child and adult with her name because I can't see some 80 yr olds with these trendy, cutesy names.

We went with Erin Melissa and there are no Erin's in her class of over 800 students. Occasionally, we'll see the name.

You can't live your life to please others......do what is right for YOU. You don't owe anyone explanations.

i never listen to others comments about names, none of their beezwax, I named my daughters Gwendolynn and Lilly, and they are both misspelled, its you who is having the baby, and you who gets to decide. My family did not like my second daughters name, oh well, they learned to love it.

btw, i LOVE the name Nicholai, i have never heard it before, (demon or no demon) its quite cute. its not like your son will be evil because some author picked a unique neat sounded name for his evil character (damien is quite a pretty name, but has been ruined by that movie omen), its a shame

Oh and a friend of our ruined our pick for boys names by teasing us mercilously about it, i have always wanted to name a boy "Gage", but we heard so many jokes, 12 gage, tire gauge....etc... it ruined the name for us

1 / 3