Names on Backpacks?

Im ordering my little soon to be 1st grader a new back pack. Every sight I have seen gives you the option to put your kids names on back packs. Does anyone else think this is a big "no no" or is it just me?

Cheryl, I know it happens! When I was 10 a friend of mine was kidnapped and killed. They always taught us NEVER to have our names on anything. The key chain thing is a good idea though!

I would NOT put my child's name on the outside of the backpack...why? because some psycho can read their name - call them over and BAM! my kid is gone...

I know that's far out - but it does happen and it sucks...

As fun as it sounds to mark everything up with names, I don't do it for two reasons.
1. Safety. Like others mentioned. Can't even allow myself to type what could happen. (Gulp)
2. It makes it harder to pass down good quality items to another sibling, cousin, etc. or to donate the item and know someone will use it.

Great question as it will hopefully lead to some awareness to other moms who may have never thought of it.

We bought a cute, cupcake shaped luggage tag to put on my daughter's backpack with only her first name and my cell number.

No, too easy for a weirdo to try and make friends with an unsuspecting child. I always let my child choose something that could clip on, a key chain or small toy, so they could see which was their backpack immediately.

My daughter wears a navy and white uniform to school and my niece sent her a really nice pink and navy Nautica back pack. I wanted to label it for her, but didn't want her name to be visible, or have a sharpie bleed through and make it look messy. I went to Walmart and used the self serve machine to engrave dog tags with her name, school name and my phone number and attached it as a zipper pull. Hopefully if we lose it, it will some how make it's way back to us. The tag is really cute, and it is not visible unless you are holding the backpack and trying to figure out how to open it. It is also indestructible and in addition to the regular dog bone shape, they have hearts, round circles, fire hydrants, some are enameled and some even have bling! We have two Walmart super centers in out town, and one has those machines in the front of the cashiers, and one does not. I know they also have them in Petco and Petsmart.

Go with the 3-initial monogram. That way, your child's pack can be identified among the 50 million identical ones, yet no one knows what his name is.

Definitely not! While they look adorable, I don't want someone knowing my child's name!

I shop at one step ahead a lot and I always see that option. I have never done it. Just that much easier for someone to get my kid's attention who shouldn't be. Rather safe than sorry. Not worth it to me.

Big no-no.

I mean, sure, if someone is stalking my kid they know their name... but at least they put some effort into it. But for random strangers to see my son walking around and be able to call him by name. Nope. Nuh-uh. Not gonna happen. Why make it EASY on perverts?

I just used a sharpie on the inside of my son's bag so if there was any confusion at class/camp/etc... easy fix. ALSO added my cell number, originally to make it easy on the school, so they didn't have to waste time looking up my contact info. Which turned out to be an awesome thing when he left his bag on the *public* bus. The bus depot gave us a ring, and I picked it up same day. OTW it would have gone into the cavernous lost and found (The worker said they had over 200 backpacks from the past 90 days alone, and that my son's and 2 others were the only ones with contact info. I'm still blown away having spent time in the UK that strange bags are picked up, much less opened. But that's me.)

1 / 3