A Good Natural Static Reducer!

My daughter and I get really itchy from any dryer sheet, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a "natural" way to reduce static on clothes. It gets so bad that my daughters baby fine hair is always floating around her head! Plus, just that feeling of static on clothes....ick!

I use tin foil. I know, sounds strange, but it works to get rid of static cling.

Just take some tin foil, waud it up into a ball and toss it in the dryer. You can reuse it for quite a while.

Or, Bed Bath & Beyond has those blue rubber balls. You can probably find them online.

conditioner on a dry rag.

I've been using the blue dryer balls for a few years and I love them. Helps the clothes dry faster as well. Both my kids have sensitive skin and fine hair, so we were having the same issues you are having. It isn't 100% static free, for instance, if you have certain sweaters in the dryer that create a lot of static, or certain fleece items. But, those have been the only exceptions. One thing I do when I know I'm going to be drying the fleeces or sweaters is to dry them most of the way, but not completely. Then, when I take them out, I just hang them up to dry the rest of the way. Way less static. Good luck!

I have the same problem with sensitivity to commercial anti-static products. If you Google "fabric softener, toxic, dangerous," you'll come up with information that will scare you out of your cling-free socks!

I've found a couple of solutions that work. One is a fabric "sheet" that contains no added chemicals but somehow reduces/absorbs static in the dryer. It does work, possibly not quite as well as anti-cling sheets, but leaves no gaggy perfumes or toxic chemicals, either:
http://www.gaiam.com/product/eco-home-outdoor/household/l...

Another solution I've found helpful is to use a scent-free hair conditioner both on my hair AND in the laundry rinse cycle. Shake or stir maybe 2 tablespoons in a cup of clean water before you add it so it won't leave surprise marks on your clothes. This, in addition to the sheets I mentioned above, works at least as well as commercial softeners.

Look for the shortest list of ingredients possible in the hair conditioner. The brand I have used that has worked best for me is Wild Essentials, but I couldn't find this the last time I went shopping, so I just bought another brand with which to experiment.

Good luck. It's hard for sensitive people to live safely and comfortably in a society saturated with chemicals and obsessed with scents.

Hi B.,

I don't know of anything that isn't "chemically" perse, but 7th Generation's products are earth friendly.

On her hair, you might could try using a scent-free dryer sheet.

I used them on my oldest daughter's hair sometimes when her hair was particularly wild, and it worked. Just rub lightly. She loved it. Would make funny noises when we did that.

Also, if you haven't tried it, a spray on conditioner might help.

K. W

Put a tennis ball in the dryer. Consider getting a humidifyer if your home air is especially dry.

I try using the dryer as little as possible, but when I do I really like the dryer balls. It's plastic balls with spikes all over it. Basically, it just beats the clothes when tumbled together. They sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond.

What about a vaporizor? Is the air in your house too dry? Just a thought....

1 / 3