Naked in Bed

Ok, I am sure the title grabbed your attention... LOL.

My daughter will be 5 in November and she prefers to sleep naked. I was always a PJ gal myself even at her age. I don't think we ever were given the opportunity to argue about it even if we preferred to sleep without.

Now, let me explain that I do not really encourage this. When I leave her room she still has panties on but takes them off when I leave her room to go to sleep. Although I am aware of what she is doing I am not exactly sure if there is anything "wrong" with it or if I should be bothered by it at all (I am on the fence).

So, what are your opinions?

I doubt she'll ever have a problem with yeast infections. This personal choice is probably much healthier for her in the long run.

Sweet dreams!! I hope she's warm in the winter.

My soon to be 7 year old has slept naked for years. Although we draw the line with sleepovers, overnight guests and vacations in strange beds.

Otherwise, I love her little uninhibited self. More power to her.

I say let her sleep naked. it can be so much more comfortable. i would say that she should know that if she has a friend stay over or if she stays over with a friend she needs to keep the jammies on though.

umm....I sleep naked. I have for a LONG time. I can't STAND wearing PJ's. It can be 30 degrees and snowing out and guess who's naked in bed? ME!
I wouldn't be bothered by it at all and can certainly not see any health issues with not having panties or PJ's on...in fact, see benefits to it myself.

I have yet to find really comfortable sleepwear, even underwear, that doesn't dig or bind or hang up on the bedding when I try to roll over. I've loved to sleep in my birthday suit ever since i realized that was an option.

I'm sure that many circumstances make it desirable to wear something to bed, but "it's not what people do" is just not a very compelling reason to require pj's. In the privacy of one's own bed, who cares, especially if the sleeper is most comfortable nekked? My grandson loves sleeping in his skin, and in the summer, he gets that choice. His bedroom gets pretty cold in the winter, and he tends to kick off blankets, so his parents will probably insist that he 'jammie up' in a month or two.

Boy or girl, clothed or naked, not a problem.

Better for her to sleep naked than to develop phobias/hang-ups about being naked with her spouse.

Good luck to you and yours.

This may be a problem when she's older. It might cause modesty or boundary issues if there are boys (brothers and even dad) in the house when she gets to that age, or she goes on sleepovers to friend's homes where it would be awkward for her buddies, or downright bad news if there's a dad or brothers around to see her in all her glory) or vice versa, friends spend the night at your house and they're put off by it. What if there's a fire or emergency and the family has to high tail it out of there with no time to lose to find clothes?

Better to try and get her used to some type of jammies/covering now to avoid potential issues later. Do more than just pants at night. Get her a whole outfit. She may not like the way heavy night clothes feel, so try something more like underwear such as a cami and shorts, or a slip dress, or try a fabric that is more silky or very light like linen or raw silk. Unfortunately, young children's pajamas are very heavy and have those flame retardants in them making them hot and sometimes stiff. I'd shop for jammies at a place that has organic fabrics.

Here are places to check:

http://www.kidbean.com/garden-kids-lavender-natural-strip...

http://www.urthchild.com/sarah-waldo-organics-organic-cot...

http://childrens-clothing.lovetoknow.com/Beautiful_Cotton...

I've preferred to sleep raw my whole life. Didn't get to (often) until I was 17 and moved out (and then I had to wear even MORE... since bootcamp/combat training etc, you go to bed in ba, shirt, underwear, shorts...even with your socks on :P thwibbt... but a few months down the road was just pure bliss.)

For some time now, I've had to wear clothes to bed. Not PJs, per se... but a slickery pair of adidas track pants and an underwire swim tank. Because my son piles in with me all the time. Since they're slippery, they don't get tangled (or worse; get tangled and wake me up).

That's my number 1 gripe with PJs... they tangle, and choke, and rub, and just annoy me while trying to get to sleep, sleeping, waking up choking, all that. ((My mum put me in fredricks of hollywood pjs at the age of 7 just to keep clothes on me. Those work as well. Not the super sexy ones... just the slickery camisole top and shorts. No underwear. Ugh. Underwear are A.N.N.O.Y.I.N.G. It was an accidental find one summer when I spent all day in the ocean and blistered from head to toe. It was the only thing I wore for 3 days straight.))

So right there are 2 options for you, if you want her dressed. "Lingerie" satin, or slick workout clothes. That is... if her issues are sensory, like mine are.

My opinion is that you must have an awesome kid if this is the worst of your problems :)

There is nothing wrong with being naked, and I think it's prudish to force anyone to sleep with pajamas if they are not comfortable in them (of course, if prudish is your 'thing' then there goes my argument out the window lol). Hang a fun colorful robe by her bed and encourage her to use it when she gets up, like when she goes to the bathroom (make it a habit), and talk to her about what to do in an emergency that might rise her from bed in the middle of the night. Easy Peasy.

And as far as when she gets older, it's nobody else's business what I wear to bed, not in high school or college or in any roommate situation. I sleep naked, my husband sleeps naked. The kids know this and act accordingly. When your daughter gets older, she'll wear what everyone else wears when out of bed and take off her clothes when she goes to sleep (if this continues, which might not happen).

1 / 3