Mylicon Use

Has anyone used mylicon for gas relief in their infant? My son is one month old and suffers from bad gas. He doens't cry from it but does fuss a lot. I'm looking for something to give him relief. Does mylicon work? Can it be given regularly or should it only be used for short durations? Any info would be appreciated.

It worked great for us we used it at 1 month up to about 2 months until her system was able to "get it out" on it's own. I would also suggest if you are breast feeding you watch what you eat. Go to Kellymom.com and you can find a list of trigger foods. If I remember correctly off hand broccoli, cabbage, peanuts, and beans are big no no's! I found out the hard way! Good luck. : )

YES! That was the best bit of advice I received from my girlfriends when I was going through the same situation when my child was about 2 mos old. We used it when necessary (sometimes after every feeding)...and only had to use it for a couple of weeks by the time the gas "passed" (no pun intended:)) Gas X for infants works just as well. good luck!

OMG!! I cannot live without Mylicon drops. They are a huge relief. My son is 1 month old, and I've used them for him as well as my 2 older children. Just follow the dosage on the bottle, and you'll be fine. When my son hasn't passed gas, or had a bowl that day, I will give him a drop before or after his feeding. It's a wonder drug!! :) Good Luck!

Hi N.,
I didn't have any success with Mylicon. You might try a homeopathic for colic.

Hi N. - In addition to regular Mylicon or gripe water use, your son might also find some relief from the 'football' hold' where you basically support his head (turned sideways) with your hand while laying him on his tummy across your forearm. His weight is basically on his belly while you hold him, with his legs and arms dangling down on either side of your forearm. Hold him this way for 20 or 30 minutes (not right after feedings though), or as long as you are comfortable. Men are GREAT at holding babies this way so let your hubby or uncle or grandpa take him to give you a break!
Another thing that helped my gassy boys alot was the bicycle pump method where you lay your baby on his back and push his legs up, bending his knees toward his chest, and gently but firmly 'pump' them like he's riding a bike, pushing the knees toward the chest. Not right after feeding though! Sort of hard to explain these things in writing but if you ask your pediatrician I am sure they can demonstrate it for you. My 2 boys were both gassy babies and these movements (along with frequent, persistent burping during feedings and constant Mylicon use) really helped them both. FYI they are now 4 and 6 yrs old and still burping and farting all the time...hee hee ;-) I hope this helps, good luck

I used it, a lot! I think it worked... and since there is no harm in using it, go for it! :)

My husband also used to lay my daughter on his lap (horizontally across his thighs) and just sort of sway his legs from side to side. My little tiny infant would get so relaxed and let out these (what seemed like) enormous toots!

Might be worth a try!

mylicon didn't work for my son but what did work was Hylands Colic Tablets! also if you are breastfeeding try eating plain foods...nothing that can cause gas..if you are supplementing with formula that is probably the problem..try Good Start Supreme's Comfort Proteins. If you are using formula and you switch you have to introduce it slowly..one ounce at a time..and put just a little extra water in at first to dilute the formula more..that helps..if you are bfing..you really need to watch your diet..i ate only sandwiches and very bland things.

My 5-month old gets gassy too and we have been using Gripe Water since he was 2 weeks old when he gets really uncomfortable. I like it because it's natural and has absolutely no negative side effects. It's made with fennel and ginger to help with digestion, and I swear by it! I used to think we could only get it at a health food store, but I've recently seen it at Target and the CVS drug store! Good luck!

1 / 3