My Weird Heart

OK, so I just am putting this out there to see if anyone else has experienced it. My heart is weird. hahaha. I don't know how to describe it. Everyonce in a while it feels like it gets a little out of rythym for a sec, then it gets back into gear. And when it does this, it's like I can actually feel the whole, huge muscle in my chest. A big lump thumping against my ribcage. But only for a minute. Sometimes if I take a deep breath or a little cough it goes away. So.. that being said....

When I'm not pregnant it only happens every so often. When I am pregnant it seems it happens all the time. Sometimes I get really nervous like something is wrong. I asked my OB and he just said funny things happen when pregnant -could be from all the extra blood pumping. Then after I delivered my son, they got a guy to come him and stick those monitors on my chest for a while. They found nothing.

Am I the only weird one out there? I wonder if I should be worried. The doc doesn't think so. Or should I see a cardiologist?

Thanks Tonya and Holly for already answering! That helps a lot. I've already wondered about my adrenals, so that's interesting it makes your heart feel weird. And Holly, THANK YOU for your knowledge! That really helps a lot! I really appreciate both of you taking time to answer my question already. I was kind of feeling nervous about it today. So thanks.

Thanks everyone, you are great for answering. I've never heard of anyone else experiencing this, and it sounds like a lot of you have had the same issues. And yes, I'm a little stressed, so that probably is helping too. This is very interesting. I'm glad I asked the question!

Sometimes anxiety can cause heart palpitations. Also hormonal changes. I can feel rapid palpitations when i am stressed.

I have this very same thing. The doctors told me it is pre-ventricular contractions (PVT) and isn't really anything to worry about. Mine also got worse when I was pregnant. It gets worse when I'm really stressed, too. I try not to think about it too much. Not much help, but I really don't think it's anything that could cause a big problem with my health.

I am a telemetry technician on a cardiac unit here at a Cincinnati Hospital. What you are experiencing is likely palpitations. It's an increase in rate that thumps and ends after a very short time. It's very normal. You could also be feeling premature ventricular contractions (pvc's) which can be cause by a little too much caffeine. 90% of the time these require no medical attention whatsoever. If this feeling you're having last say longer than 1 minute your heart may be going into Atrial Fibrillation, which would require a trip to the ER and could require a cardioversion to get you back into a regular rhythm. As long as these feelings are short, you can rest easy. I hope that helps.

This sounds like what I have experienced, I have those palpatations too, I started to notice them when I was pregnant with my second child. I got a echocardiogram(ultrasound of the heart) and had to wear a heart monitor for a day, and log my activiites of what I was doing that day when I felt a palpatation. I was diagnosed with mild mitral valve prolapse. Good to know, and my case is not being treated because it is mild. I heard this happens commonly when women get pregnant. It was scary though having noticed that irregular heartbeat, my mom had just died and I was worried that with something wrong in my heart I would keel over during exercise! Go get it check if just for peace of mind sake! It is probably nothing but just to be sure go to the doc, you'll feel better!

About 5 years ago I found out that I had SVT (Supra ventricle tachycardia). My case was really bad, but the doctor said people can get it and it doesn't effect them at all, i.e. they can keep to their normal activities. What it is is I had extra pathways going through the top and bottom chambers of my heart. For some reason it would get set off and create multiple heart beats instead of just one. The first time it happened I thought I was going to die. My heart was pounding SO hard!!! (usually I can't even find my heart beat no matter how hard I try). It also made me super tired, and I started to feel like I couldn't breathe. Anyway, my friend took me to the ER and my heart was racing at 256 beats/min. They had to stop it and let it reset itself to get it back on a normal rhythm. Anyway, they put me on some beta blockers and until I got it fixed a month later, it would start for like 2 seconds and then stop and be normal. And every time it would wipe me out (though I also had bad post traumatic stress syndrome from it, so I think that wore me out too).

Anyway, obviously yours isn't like this, but like I mentioned, the dr told me that people get it a lot where they don't even hardly notice it. I also found out that I have mild mitral regurge, where when my heart pumps some of the blood actually goes backwards into the other chamber. Anyway, what I'm trying to say, long story long, is that if something is going on with your heart I would go to a cardiologist and figure out what it is. I have to take antibiotics anytime I get any procedure done where I could get bad bacteria in my blood stream. Even if your case isn't bad, it's good to know at least what it is, have the peace of mind, and be able to prevent anything if you happen to have a condition where even only on certain instances you would need medication.

I hope everything works out ok and that it really is nothing! And no, you are NEVER the only weird one out there. ;)

I had the exact symptoms you are describing. I noticed it before I ever had children. I went to a cardiologist and he had me wear a king of hearts monitor for a month. We found out I was having the pvc's Holly talked about. I almost never drink anything with caffeine, so that was not the cause. I had an echocardiogram and it showed that everything was normal. The cardiologist said it's rare to have pvc's for no reason, but like Holly said, as long as it happens in quick little episodes & it doesn't start happening for long periods of time, it is not harmful. There are medications that can help, but typically they are more harmful than the pvc's. He warned me that it would get worse in pregnancy - and he was right - it did. If you have the resources, I would recommend seeing a cardiologist just to see exactly what is happening. PVC's are not a big deal, but some heart rhythm issues can be. For me, it was definitely peace of mind to know what my heart was doing and why.

You might want to get your adrenals checked. It can do weird things to you, making your heart feel strange, etc.

S.,
It is my understanding that heart problems are quite common during pregnancy and very dangerous! You know your body and if you think or feel like you ought to see someone a little more 'specialized' then do so.

Even if they tell you it is nothing, again. Better safe than sorry on that one!

I hope it is nothing!
V.

1 / 3