My Ultrasound Shows DS in My Baby

Hi
Im completly destroy in tears. My pain its too much to handle and I know many of you mom's out there understand me. I went to get an ultrasound and I got the terrible news; my babe appears to have a black shadow in the back of the head or neck. Which is suppose to mean that he or she might have DS. It makes me sad and not because of me, its because of my baby's life in a future or even on my belly, since i heard there's a lot of cases they die at a early age or before they even born. Please help me with some advices on what to do, and also if anyone has an idea on how much an amnio test will cost us, because my insurance doesnt cover it. thanks.

Hey everyone!
Well I am happily 22 weeks pregnant now, Im having a girl. What my baby had is called cystic hygroma. they first saw it when i was about 10 or 11 weeks. I decided to go for the cvs and pray to the Lord nothing would happen. The results came back normal meaning she's not coming with any genetic problems. The specialist did say that there's a chance that during the test; a mother contamination. That happens when the results are yours not you baby's. Anyways...the cystic hygroma was no where to be found by the 16 week. I dont know what it was or why that happens, but I believe that praying is a powerful thing. i believe in God and I know he listened to all my family & friends prayers. So my point is to all of you that are going to the same situation i just want to say pray to God and believe in him. There's a reason why he's putting you thrugh this. It will make you grow and become a stronger individual. Offer something that you think it would be great to change in name of your unborn child. Secondly...dont go by only one doctor's opinion, search more; I went to three different doctors and always remember something; they're not your relatives they want to make business. And they will make you take every single test they could possible relate to it to get more money from you. I experience this. One of the Doctors did 4 blood tests on me and I never heard results from it I stopped going to him because of that reason. It was supposed to be the one call sequential screening or something like that. stay positive and hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Us women have the joy to carry our child on our belly and bond with them like no other. God bless.

A., I'm so sorry you're going through this stress right now. Pregnancy is not a good time to be stressed. That being said, drs are wrong soooooooooo often. I've read millions of stories where patients were killed, died, whatever b/c of incorrect diagnosis. I recently read a story about a family being told a woman (their mother) was dead and guess what? The dr was wrong.
When I was pregnant I was told my child had a 1 in 30 chance of having ds. THey then tried to get me to have a stage 2 ultrasound (I wasn't going to have any kind of ultrasound no less stage 2) and an amnio ASAP. Well, amnios can cause miscarriage! So I went to my midwife, she did the test again and guess what??? it was a 1 in 3500 chance! My daughter is now a healthy child who is not only smart but advanced by several years. I had a lot of stress and lost sleep because of the incompetence of drs. I'm not saying all drs are jerks.... emergency care is top but otherwise, stay clear.
I didn't go back to the dr, stayed with my midwife and had a beautiful birth. I can give you my midwife's info if you're interested.
Keep calm and if need be, test again!

In peace

I'm not clear on what DS is. Down's Syndrome? That I know a lot about, so get back to me.
Blessings, S.

Keep calm and if need be, test again!

In peace

I'm sorry you are going through this. In the state of California, if a woman tests positive for Downs or Trisomy 18 the state pays for the amnio or CVS. If your first trimester screening blood work came back positive along with the ultrasound results maybe Florida does the same thing? Also, with these new results, maybe your insurance will cover the test now. I would have the doctors office call and relay why they think you need an Amnio. Also, there are probably many non profit organizations that offer tests on a sliding scale. Planned Parenthood is the only one that comes to mind but I'm sure there are many woman's clinics that should be able to assist you. Asking your Doctor for a payment plan is also an excellent idea that some of the moms suggested. Again, I'm very sorry you are going through this but chances are very good that your baby is just fine. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Before going the amnio route get a level 2 ultrasound. This is where they will look for other markers for Downs like white spots on the intestines, length of leg bones, nuccal fold, and a couple of other things. I would think it would have to be cheaper than amnio. But like someone else said, contact your insurance. They may pay for it now because of the possible findings on your routine ultrasound. Talk with the insurance rep at your doctor's office.

Many, many people with Downs now live long and happy lives. Downs is not a death sentence. Yes, babies with Downs are more work and more doctor visits but they are still sons and daughters who bring joy to their parents and siblings. Here is a site with great info for you:

http://www.ndss.org/

But do know that the tech/doc could be wrong. You said it "appears to have a shadow". That is def not a definitive diagnosis. Get the amnio or level 2 ultrasound so you will know what you are dealing with and what help your baby may or may not need.

Best to you.

My Sister has DS and is 38 years old. She has lived a very happy and healthy life. Graduated High School, has had jobs, friends and a boyfriend or two. She is forever innocent and loving. Does not have the jaded sense the rest of the world has.
If you are lucky enough to have a child with DS you will be blessed for life! It is not a curse but a blessing!
AND the Drs could be wrong. I have met several Moms that were warned their child could have DS and they were born perfectly average. (not normal as who is to say what normal is)
Breathe deep and know we cannot control our world but accept it and love what comes our way!!

The only way to know for sure is to have amniocentisis. I suggest you do this as soon as possible in order to have a definite answer. I'm sorry you're upset, but it's impossible to tell anything for sure with just an ultrasound. Have the amnio and go from there.IF your baby is a Down's baby, it will depend on the severity as to whether or not he/she has health problems, heart problems, etc. Some Down's people live quite a long time -I know one person in his 40s. If you find that you are having a Down's baby, do a lot of research and reading and find a support group in your area for parents of children with Down's Syndrome, but make sure you ARE having a Down's child before you worry anymore.

About the insurance and amnio -are you over 35? Are you absolutely SURE they won't cover it if you are either over 35 or get a testing result like this? I would call them directly, with the doctor's observance spelled out in front of me and ask. If they really won't cover it, ask your doctor and they will probably be willing to work out a payment plan if you need it.

Have you seen your OB after your US??The sono's aren't 100% they can be wrong or right but yes more testing is needed..Call you insurance company on the amnio make sure they are correct that amnio's aren't covered if they are @ what percent.Sorry but we can't help with insurance issues..
My heart aches to hear this news about your unborn child it brings back memories on my 3 pregnancies now with 3 kiddos the worries still don't stop.I hope that everything goes well for you remember to ask questions to those who are caring for you & baby knowedge is power.You will get through this..

I'm sorry you have had upsetting news. First, get the amnio so that you will know for sure and can be prepared. I had CVS which is similar and it ran around $2k - check with the doctor and ask if you can do payments AND get a cost reduction. Also call the insurance co and see if they will cover it since you may now be high risk per the ultrasound. If they say no, have the doctor call too.

Secondly, if your child does have DS, know that they are joyful children. I teach technology and library and have a class of MH students including Downs. They are the sweetest, most loving children. There are also many resources through your county available to you, another reason to find out early so you can look into it. My prayers will be with you.

So sorry you are going through this. First of all - "a black shadow" is not for sure your baby has Down's Syndrome. I would think that if you have findings on ultrasound that insurance would pick up the cost of the amnio. (I live in California, so i know nothing about health care in Florida) Call your doctor's office back and ask? I am sure you were very upset when they told you about this. Most likely you weren't able to absorb all they told you which is very normal. I am sure you have other questions besides an amnio. Write down your questions, have someone go with you and
take notes. The outcome for Down's is very variable. My uncle with Down's is 61 years old. My grandparents were told he wouldn't live past 20. You need more information. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

1 / 3