My Two Year Old Poops All Day, Every Day!

I have a two year old daughter that poops all day long, every day!. The poop is soft, but not diarrhea. It is almost always grainy. We call it glitter poop. The doctors think I'm a loony toon when I describe it. This has been going on for months and I don't know how we'll ever potty train her, not to mention the constant sore tush. We had her poop tested three times to check for parasites, blood, or other problems and all the tests came back negative. We've tried eliminating various things from her diet: dairy, blueberries, bananas, anything that she eats regularly that we thought might be the problem. Before we move on the eliminating meat and grains which are her favorites, I thought I'd see if anyone had some ideas. I've asked every mom I know and no one has ever heard of such a thing.

Thank you all for your help. My husband even got on to check out all your answers!!! I should have mentioned that she has been tested for food allergies (negative)and that we do probiotics and fiber regularly. I'm going to follow up on all the suggestions to have her poop tested, again, for parasites, blood, etc. I'm going to ask them to test for Celic too. Once I've taken in a diaper for those tests, we'll begin eliminating some of the foods everyone suggested one at a time until we can come up with an answer. I've been contemplating doing a journal too, but between changing her, feeding her, and writing it all down, I'm not sure I could accomplish anything else during the day! hahahaha

My daughter was allergic to milk and only milk, NOT dairy. Same grainy poop. There was something in the cow's milk fat that her little belly didn't like. She was almost 4 when she finally grew out of it. I had to use soy milk as a substitute. She's 10 now and never had any other food allergies.

That's how my kiddo's poop is when he eats high fiber things like whole grain bread (which is all we eat) or high-fiber cereal. he has a dairy allergy & we will be getting him tested for other food allergies, because food allergies can cause everything from stunted growth to behavioral issues, it's important to identify them early. we just regulate that he's not eating too much high-fiber too often when his bottem gets sore. some kiddos just have very effective "systems".

The first thing I would suspect is a gluten intolerance. My grandson's poop changed a lot once they discovered he could not eat gluten. It's difficult to keep out of one's diet, but not impossible. It made a tremendous difference in my grandson's health, so it is well worth the effort for him.

I have read all the other comments and it sounds like you have some good suggestions. If your Dr truely thinks your looney go somewhere else. You are the mom and as the mom you know your child better than anyone. Another suggestion I would give is have him tested for cyctic fibrosis. Good luck!!!

Have you ever had her tested for a food alergy? Gluten alergies have a similar reaction. It is call celieac disease. It would be a good idea to eliminate wheat based starches and go with rice and corn for a while to see if that helps. Gluten is also found in oats and barley in small amounts. Bananas, rice, and cheese will actually help slow down the poo problem so it really may be a good idea to do the rice. I hope that helps.

My 3yo had that problem forever. I felt like I was obsessed with poo! (For good reason-Mymom and I have IBS and my dad and brother and sister have Crohn's) We eventually realized that he can't handle grapes in any form. Raisins, grapes, grape juice, anything sweetened by grape juice. It would runny, but kinda grainy, horribly smelly and cause terrible diaper rashes. Like 3-4 times a day. Boudreaux's Butt Paste, slathered him up! Worked great, put baking soda in the bath water to help relieve the discomfort. I also found out recently that if he eats too much sugar, thanks to his grandmas, that will give him the runs as well. Look into the juice, make sure she is only getting 6-8 oz a day and dilute it with water. HTH

My daughter had a case similar to this when she was about 18 months old. My doctor told me that she had "Toddler's Diarreha" It's an actual medical diagnosis. It basically means that we expect them to eat all of the same things as us but they have not developed all of the good bacteria and enzymes in their digestive system as us. She told me that anything can set it off and it can take weeks or months for her system to flush it and develop the bacteria or enzyme needed to get it. She told us to make sure my daughter had at least one yogurt a day, but seeing how my daughter refuses to eat yogurt she had me get Acidopholis (not sure on the spelling there) capsuls. I would open each capsule and put the 1/2 of the powder on my daughters food (usually fruit). She never tasted it, and within 2 days we were back to solid poop! I continued it for about 3 weeks, and she was fine. I only had to do it once more for about a week 3 months after that first time. All the Acidopholis is is good bacteria that your body needs. You can find it anywhere-CVS, Walgreens, and I think I even found it at WalMart. Hope this helps

My daughter had something similar. I figured out it was the vitamins she was taking. She doesn't usually poop all day, but some days it is quite often. It doesn't bother her, or hurt so I don't worry too much. It seemed like potty trainning actually helped some. Good luck, it is just going to require some digging on your part. And maybe some good diaper cream!

Maybe doing a different kind of stool culture will help? My son was having severe diarrhea and stomach cramps when he was a few months old and the first culture didn't diagnose the problem because it didn't test for what he had. Also, the odd thing with stool cultures is that one may come back positive/negative and another culture later that day will come back the opposite. I have never had a medical professional tell me that, but I've had it happen enough times (to my child and other children I know) to know that it's true.

I had a little girl (she was also 2) in my class about 10 years ago with poop similar to what you describe and she was having a very hard time learning to use the toilet because of it. They FINALLY figured out that she had Giardia. After the treatment, she was fine, excreting normally, and even put on some weight. I hope you find the answer soon. Good luck.

Hello T., have you had you two year old tested for celiac disease? It is where the person is alergic to whey in foods and the bowel is inflamed so most of the food is passed as poop and the child goes more than the normal 2 or 3 times per day. My uncle has it and didn't know it for most of his child hood and he was just miserable as a kid. Talk to your doctor to get checked.

1 / 3