My Two Year Old Is Stuttering All of the Sudden

In the last couple of weeks my two, almost 3 in August, started stuttering. It seemed like it was the first word of the sentences, like his brain wasnt working as fast as his words wanted to come out. I was teaching him to slow down, now hes like in slow motion. He will say the first word of a sentence three times, for example, he will say "I I I dont want to" and in that he will be blinking his eyes and trying hard to "push" his words out. I work in a hospital so I always think the worst. I am praying that he will grow out of this but I am really really worried. Anyone have a child that this happened to? What did you do and is my baby ok?

WOW thank you all soooooo very much for all the advice and situations you have all experienced, i truely appreciate it. Sometimes it does not pay to work in the hospital because my first thought went to tumors or cancer. I see so much of that, that is where my mind wonders. I hate it but in reality it can happen to anyone but you all have really reassured me that my man will be ok. We did just move into a new house so maybe with all the confusion and him being uprooted from the only house he has known since he has been born, its causing some emotional issues. I will definatlely start listening more and not trying to help him get out what he needs. I will tell you all how it turns out in a couple months!

My son did the same thing and I got worried too! It was fine tthough. I called the speech teacher that I work with and she told me that it was probably that he was starting to think more complexly and was having trouble expressing it. I was worried because he was doing the same thing with scrunching his eyes. I read that telling himto slow down reallywouldn't help, so I stopped telling him that and he just outgrew it. I didn't want ot make him self-conscious of it.

I just took our 2yr old daughter for her well baby check and her dr gave me a printout of what to expect this year. One of the things it said was that some kids do start to stutter at this age and it is totally normal due to the fact that they are learning more words than they can speak. It also said they do outgrow it. If you are really concerned though and need some reassurance, call his dr and find out his/her opinion. I wouldn't stress over it though if I were you. Good luck!

Its normal my son did it. Usually when he was really excited or upset. We just told him to calm down and breath before speaking and eventually he grew out of it.

I have seen this happen to several children and I don't think this is a problem at all as long as it doesn't last over 6-12 months. I think their vocabulary grows so much between 2 and 3 that they are working so hard to use their new words and speak in more fuller sentences that their brain really does work faster than their mouth! Our nephew did it for about 6 monts when he was 3 and a half or so and mostly it was the i, i , i. The 2 year old I nanny for does it now, but it is mostly where he says the first word of the sentence over and over again, until he collects his thoughts to get it all out! I have always been told not to really correct them just be patient and wait for them to get it all out and continue to model correct speach in your own conversation with others.

L.,
I just had a little boy in August 2008. My mom and I were talking about me as a child and she mentioned I went through a short stuttering phase when I was young. I asked about it and she said that people (my father mostly) were not being patient with me and it was causing me to try and speak really fast and then ultimately stutter. She said once they all slowed down and took a little more time with me I stopped stuttering and have never had a problem since (I am 31 years old).
Good luck and I hope this might be of some assistance.
E.

I am a teacher and mother of 2 boys; 2 and 4. I am not a Dr. but it is very common for children that age to do exactly as you said; stutter b/c they want to get their ideas out faster than their little mouths and minds can work. It is possible that the blinking and stuttering has gotten worse as a result of now trying to concentrate too much before speaking i.e. nerves. Our 4 yr. old started to stutter and repeat himself at about the same age so I know how you feel. However, it really is best to ignore the behavior, and be sure that when your child does start to talk you stop what you are doing, look at him, and listen intently. Often times they are also afraid they aren't being heard so they are trying to talk quickly and get their ideas out so they can be heard. I started doing this with our little guy and within a few months the behavior stopped. I really had to pay attention to my behavior and responses to him when he was talking, but it was worth it in the end. Again, I am not a Dr. and I don't know your son, but this behavior is common. Hope this helps and good luck :)

FYI- both my son and my cousin's son did at about your sons ages. Both boys are amazingly vocal and we both get comments all the time about how well they speak and understand. His brain is just working faster than his mouth!

My daughter did the same thing at that age. If I remember correctly it only lasted about 6 months, she's 7 now and has no problems. She's very verbal and just couldn't speak as fast as her mind was going. It was worse when she was tired. I spoke to the doctor and they reassured me it was common and not to react even though I was worried too that she would stutter her whole life and be teased! It really was just a stage that passed quickly. Hope this reassures you!

1 / 3