My Toddler Is Itchy - What to Use

My almost 3 year old daughter keeps saying she is itchy all over but I don't see anything. I tried monistat down there and bug creme other places, I have tried lotion, I rewashed her sheets and stopped using dryer sheets. We have no new products- Does anyone have advice please. Yes, it gets worse at night, but I don't think she is stalling because it is all day.

Well- thank you everyone for the advice! So many things to try so we are going through all of them. I already use All Free and Clear but stopped using the color bleach and regular bleach and stopped using the dryer sheets and wiped out the whole dryer. I changed her sheets and started washing everything again in hot water including her 2 animals she sleeps with. The aveeno body wash and eucerin lotion daily seem to be helping and I am not putting sunblock and only using avon skin so soft bug spray. She still says she is itchy 2-3 times a day though- crotch and legs or arms. Keep lathering her up with the lotion and bought homeopathic itch cream for any part itchy. I don't think its scabies or dust mites because there are no bites or anything on her and it is not getting worse. She is in the pool a lot so it may be from that. I am asking the doctor at her 3 year in 2 weeks. Thank you again!

This could be allergies - I would suggest calling her pediatrician to see what lotion he/she would recommend. Avaeno (sp?!) is a great product that my sister uses with her 4 year old son. Staying away from harsh laundry detergents can also help - free and clear works great! I do miss the great smell of other detergents, yet we made the change because some of the others were harsh for the kids' skin. There is also nothing like a soothing bath with anti-itch bath lotions...Good Luck!

Hi!! My son began itching (mostly rectal) around the same age and we tried everything...dermatologist and pediatrician recommended several things, none of which worked...this went on for almost a year...we finally changed detergents and stuck to it until all his clothes, towels and sheets had been washed several times, and it worked...we use dye free, scent free products to wash his clothes in. If he wears something that has been washed in Tide(what we previously used), he starts itching immediately...when we stay in hotels and he uses towels and sheets from hotels, the itching starts again. It has been three years now and only occasional itching when he comes into contact with items that aren't prewashed...I would change detergents and the key is to stick with it...we had done a few trials of new detergents throughout that first year but didn't do it long enough to see the results...good luck.

She could have some allergies along with dry skin. We use only Cetaphil to wash with,head & shoulders dry scalp for hair, Vaseline Creamy lotion (it's thicker and no perfumes). We use free & clear laundry detergent and bounce free dryer sheets. That seems to keep the itchies at bay. You may want to try some Zyrtec or Claritin if she has other symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes. If none of this works or you are afraid to try them see her doctor. Good luck!

J.:

The itching could be caused by Eczema. My son has it. He was a 34 week delivery and his skin has always been sensitive. It could also an internal food allergy. If it's worse at night, it could be dust mites.

It takes more than one washing to rid clothes and sheets of old detergent, etc. And switching products too soon doesn't help either. It's like testing for an allergy - consistent tracking of what you use and eat.

Here's what I would do and have done:
1. Use the Aveeno Eczema Body Soap - yes, it's more expensive, however, it works well on my son.

2. Use Arm & Hammer Sensitive Skin laundry detergent or Dreft. I have found that Tide, Cheer and All are all too harsh on his skin. I use it for everyone's clothes so there isn't more work for me.

3. Downy Fabric softner without Febreeze, scents, etc. keeps his clothes "softer".

4. Take the sheets off the bed, mix salt and baking soda together - shake it over the bed and "rub" it in - then vacuum the bed. This should rid her bed of dust mites (when vacuuming, ensure you have a new bag and have cleaned the brush of the vacuum).

5. Wash her pillows in HOT water. If she has sleepy toys (stuffed animals) wash them as well and limit to how many she can have on her bed and sleep with.

6. Find out how much diary she is having - my son can't have a lot of dairy in his diet. Not exactly sure what it is about dairy, but it helps to limit his dairy.

7. Ensure her room is dust free. You'd be surprised how fast dust mites multiply! I went to Target and bought the mattress and pillow cover for dust mites and allergens. I wash his bedspread every two weeks and change his sheets weekly.

If there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know. I live in Reston and know what it's like to have a young one "itchy" and being pregnant!

Take care!

My daughter did the same thing around 3 yr. We found out that she has sensitive skin that feels dry and itchy to her even when there are no obvious signs. Our doctor suggested putting Cetaphil cream on her skin from head to toe immediately when she gets out of the tub and her skin is still wet. The cream on top of the water locks helps lock the moisture into her skin. Then we put 100% cotton pajamas on for bed. When she's was really itchy she got Benadryl too, but once we started the daily regimen of Cetaphil right after her bath, she rarely needed the Benadryl. We have since switched to free and clear detergent, Cetaphil body wash, and 100% cotton clothes and pajamas .

Cetaphil is an over the counter moisturizer that comes in a white tub-like container. It is most often found in the cosmetic section. Several other moms have told me that their pediatric dermatologist recommended the Cetaphil cream. I also know moms who use vaseline for the same purpose right after bathtime. Doing the lotion after their bath onto moist skin really locks in the moisture.

Have you had her checked for scabies? They're nasty little critters that burrow under skin, microscopic, and contagious. The itching does get worse at night. Everyone will have to be treated with a bath of Kwell lotion. You can use the lotion while pregnant; I had them when I was pregnant with my first one, caught it from a patient.

My daughter is allergic to alot of things, but house dust and dust mites are among them. It makes her itch. Especially her feet. At first the doctor kept saying it was probably eczema. Try childrens' claritin. Its over the counter and what the allergist says for my daughter to take daily. It solved a lot of problems.

If it is worse at night it might be scabies (they are nocturnal and so it itches worse at night). They don't really show as a rash necessarily and tend to like the creases and crevices--backs of knees, wrists, inner thighs. Take her to a dermatologist who can diagnose it with just a look with a magnifying glass. It is like getting rid of lice so you will have to wash all sheets, towels in hot water but you just treat it with a topical cream. Hope that helps.

Try Aveeno's "anti-itch" lotion (has a cooling element in it). Also the Aveeno oatmeal baths.

She may have an allergy you're not aware of yet, so a trip the allergy doctor may be helpful. Talk to your pediatrician at her next check up -- or, if she's outright miserable, make an appointment.

1 / 3