My Three Year Old Doesn't Want to Potty Train What Do I Do?

My three year old son has no interest in going potty in the toilet small or big.I really need advice I've potty trained three other children and he refuses all that I've tried,any advice would be GREAT!

So glad to know I am not the only one with this issue! I swear my nearly 3-yo son does not want to stop to eat, let alone go to the potty. He loves to mimic every "grown-up" thing we do except going potty. It is driving me potty as well. We have tried everything, but I hear there are potty-training boot camps which I am trying to locate. LOL

GL

Wait. He is probablly assreting his independence, seeking control, all the usual suspects. He won't graduate highschool in pull-ups. ;)

GL

Just when you give up on him ever going where you want him to go........ he'll do it! In fact he may just be waiting for you to focus elsewhere. In a few years these few extra months won't make ANY difference at all.
Don't be discouraged! Good luck! P.

There are many reasons we want our children potty trained. Convenience, getting in to pre-school, cost, etc.

I wanted my daughter potty trained. I knew she could use the potty and needed her to do so. Pull-up day and night were too expensive and I couldn't send her to daycare still wetting her pants. I took her out to the yard and had her run around naked. I put the potty chair out there and gave her lots to sweet things to drink. I knew she guzzle them down and then have to pee. She didn't like the pee running down her leg. Sand from the sandbox stuck to her leg and it didn't feel nice.
Yep, she peed in the potty and received a ton of praise for being a big girl, growing up, using the potty, etc. We did this for a few days. We made small trips inside to play and I told her that if she had to go potty to go to the bathroom and use her potty.

Nakes days outside (with lots of sun screen) and a potty chair worked for us...for the daytime.

She's nearly 8 and just in the last few wks does she go with out a pull up at night...her decision. I knew she could make it all night and might have an accident or two, but she didn't want to have one. She went 7 nights in a row dry for the umpteenth time, but this time she felt confident. She made it.

S

I'm in the same boat. My almost 3 year old knows where to go and what to do and he knows there is a standing reward for doing so - and yet he'd rather wear diapers. Sometimes out of the blue he decides to go use the toilet - and does - so I know he could if he wanted to. However, after going through some battles of epic proportion while trying to sleep train him, I have decided to let him decide when he is ready to use the potty. I think some kids can be lead into meeting milestones and some can't so don't feel discouraged.

I don't think you have much choice. He'll potty train when he's ready. Pushing kids before they're ready has so many detrimental effects - and doesn't work in any case.

Three is actually pretty young for a boy to potty train. Just be patient, mama. As you know, when he's ready, it will happen suddenly and easily, and you'll have avoided all those awful battles and frustrations that just hurt your relationship with your precious child.

hang in there. He will likely train soon. My third daughter didn't train until right at age 3 and the fourth is almost 3 (I've been trying for over 1 1/2 years to train her). She has resisted all attempts & we have tried every method.

R.

what everyone is saying is pretty much true...wait, he's not ready. however, i personally think you can help him get ready by talking about it in a non-threatening, non-nagging way, everyday. and if you feel comfortable, use your husband and/or older sons (if you have them) to show him how it works.

a friend gave me a potty training dvd (had elmo on it) but my boy wasn't interested so one day, i turned up my heater so he could be naked from waist down, rolled up my rug, put his potty in front of the tv with lots of books, games and toys and we spent the entire day in my living room. we did this when he was 2.5. we had the nice cushy kind of potty from first year so it made sitting a lot easier (http://www.smarter.com/the-first-years-soft-trainer-seat/.... after couple of accidents, he kind of got it so we switched to pull-ups. personally, the 'cool wet feeling you're supposed to get if you have an accident in the pull-up' dont work. my boy didn't care, as most boys don't.

i would ask him every 15-30 minutes, "do you have to go potty? do you have to pee? do you want to try? let's try...you'll tell mommy, right?" i know it was annoying but so what? after about 6 months of mostly successes, we had him pee standing up. for a boy, it's huge! my sister had gotten me a peter potty urinal (best thing ever!) and i painted a bulls eye where he could point and he loved it! my husband was the one to train him on that (i have no idea where or how to hold it!). now that he's a little over 4, he is potty trained and poopy trained but he still has accidents because he doesn't want to stop playing or watching tv to go pee so my husband will have races with him to see who can pee first and/or we love checking out new bathrooms.

it's hard but hang in there! good luck.

1 / 3