My Three Month Olds Eating Habits.

I have a 3 month old daughter and maybe this is normal for a 3 month old but I am not sure. She is taking about 4 tablespoons of cereal in the mornings when she gets up plus a 5 or sometimes even 6 ounce bottle of formula. About four hours later she is taking about 8 ounces and so on like that through the day. After her bath at about 8:30-9:00 she is taking an 8 ounce bottle of cereal, she is sleeping all night long though. Please let me know if this is normal and if it is not what should I do about her feeding habits.

This sounds normal to me. Have you talked with her doctor? Maybe it's time to add some veggies or fruit to her diet as well.

My son ate early too, he just needed the extra calories because ehr was so active during the day... and he slept thru the night at 10 weeks... so this is a blessing.

Hugs your baby for being so good to care for!

Grace and Peace,
Barbara
deaffmommie

I don't think you should worry about her eating habits at all...what you described sounds like she has a good appetite...but I don't think there is anything wrong with that! Goodluck!

I would say you have a hungry little lady there. She is growing and needs the nutrition. Sleeping all night sounds like a little angel. You are so blessed!

Hiya A...
awww how sweet! * my youngest is 16yo. so ...
Anyhow.. With 3 children I learned that "normal" is
a false perception... every baby/child is different.
If your daughter is thriving and seems to have no adverse
effects from the amounts she is eating then by all means..
leave her alone!!!
Hope this helps... Peace!:)

Many years ago when my now 22-year old daughter was a baby, she also had to have cereal early. She was only about 6 weeks old when I had to start giving it to her. I was nursing her, but she was not getting enough from me. I know that the "experts" don't want you to give babies anything extra until they are much older, but what they don't tell you is that babies go through growth spurts at various times during their infancy and need the extra nutrition. As long as she is not spitting it up after you give it to her, she should be fine with taking the extras. Don't worry so much at this point about whether or not she will be obese later on, just give her what she needs.

The AAP says infants should not get any solids at all until six months, so you really ought to discontinue all of the solids. She still has an open gut, so you're risking allergies and infections by giving her solids. Babies aren't ready for solids until they can sit up and have lost the tongue thrust reflex. I know you'd never do anything to hurt your baby on purpose, but solids to a three-month-old is really inappropriate and cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard.

Please look to the American Academy of Pediatrics on this one and wait three more months.

What part are you concerned about? That she is eating too much?? A 3 month old can eat anywhere from 4-8 ounces at every feeding and that is their "normal". Every baby is so different with their eating habits!! I'm curious as to why you are giving her cereal - 3 months is a little young for that, unless of course your Dr. told you to give it to her for reflux or something. (My 5 month old daughter has severe reflux and the cereal in her bottle made it 10x worse and gave her severe abdominal pain). She now eats 7-7.5 ounces of formula every 4 hours and is thriving! If your daughter is not overweight and has no other problems it seems like you are doing just fine, some babies just eat more, or more often than others. And since she is sleeping through the night be thankful!! =)

I don't know if I entirely agree about all the flack about the cereal. My son went from quiet little angel to loud unhappy hellion at around 3 1/2 months. He'd be quiet after a bottle, but about 30 minutes later he'd do a lot of yelling (not really crying so much but just antsy and yelling) and continue on up till the next feeding. I know it's stupid, but it just never occured to me that he might still be hungry because he almost never finished a bottle completely. At 4 1/2 months I introduced solids and for the first two weeks he reverted right back to the kind of behavior I was used to before. I simply concluded that he'd been really hungry. Since I've started feeding him the solids, he also finishes more bottles (go figure). I know my pediatricians office is not the most personal place, and they usually don't give me very specific answers on questions like this one, but I'd suggest bringing it up at the next scheduled visit. I've always practiced (and always heard) 'feed a baby until he's done eating'

1 / 3