My Stupid Back, Part 2... What's Going to Happen?

I called my husband, he's coming home, I'm going to the doc. This is awful. I took the kids the the library and about died driving (my back was killing me, not my driving!!) I literally had to white knuckle it; I was seeing stars by the time I got home (not smart, I know, but what's done is done). It's gotten so much worse.

My question is, what will any doc be able to do for me? I hate taking pain meds, they make me all zombified. I will ABSOLUTELY take them today if they offer it, just today, because my husband will be home... but seroiusly, if this is a broken/bruised rib (or worse, if I chipped my SPINE or something)... what can they do? Give me meds, tell me to lay down (LOL, LIKE THAT COULD EVER HAPPEN!), take an xray.... what can I expect?? I'm hoping this is muscular, but I really very seriously doubt I'm that lucky.

Have you injured your back? What happened when you went to the doctor?

Um, yeah... I'm a huge baby about seeing doctors, can you tell?! ;)

@Sitonme: My son swan dived into my back 3 days ago... it's been bruised, but now I can't move at all or breathe without serious pain!

OKAY!!... Went to the doc... xrayed my back... I have bruising on the INSIDE part of my spine (not inside my spine, but inside my body on the other side of my spine), which is pressing against my diaphragm, which is why it's so painful to breathe! I have to wear a rib brace for 2 weeks and take 3 different meds (muscle relaxer, rx anti inflammatory, and pain meds)... WOW I finally slept okay last night :) Thanks for all the info! Just taking it easy and taking care of my sick crazy baby ;)

I'm glad you are going to the doctor.
If something's broken - a bone takes 8 weeks to mend.
You don't have to take pain medication, but 8 weeks is a long time to be feeling the pain you are feeling right now.
It might be over the worst of the pain in a few weeks - maybe meds for that long would be ok.
I worked with someone who had a few vertebrae fused in his 20's.
He'd be fine most of the time but every couple of years he'd get a wicked back spasm that would land him flat on his back on the floor.
He couldn't drive - he could barely walk - his wife would have to come get him from work and he'd be laid up in bed on pain killers for 2 solid weeks.
And then he'd be fine again for a few more years.
Please let us know what the doctor says.

See a chiropractor!! Despite popular belief, they don't actually have to "pop" you. (I know many people are scared of that, just thought I would point that out!) In my experience, it's much better to see a Dr. whose specialty is dealing with spinal issues, and treating those issues as efficiently as possible While pain meds help, because they decrease the pain...they only mask the symptom...and not fix the problem!! If you get the x-ray and the Chiropractor thinks it's an issue that is best treated by another specialist, they will NOT treat you, but refer you somewhere else.

Thanks for the update! Feel better! :(

You need xrays first. R., you might even need a CT scan to see if there is any disc damage - that doesn't show up on a regular xray.

When I threw my back out, I had to have both those things done. My husband had to pick me up off the toilet to keep me from screaming, my back hurt so much. Once we determined it wasn't a disc problem, that it was muscular, I went to a massage therapist while I took ibruprophen and muscle relaxers. My massage therapist (whose was actually a neuro-muscular therapist) was a little like a chiropractor in that she worked close to the spine. But she worked on my muscles. She got me back up on my feet.

I recommend you find out what is wrong with your spine, and take all the steps you need to fix this, including muscle relaxers, massage (drink tons of water after the massage - I kid you not!) and as you get better, consider some back therapy to help work out your muscles. You're young honey. You don't want this to become a lifelong thing with your muscles!!

Hugs,

well I would go to the chiropractor instead!! Most doctors will give you muscle relaxers or pain relievers to get rid of the pain - a temporary solution!! I would see a chiropractor, and maybe you can lay on the floor with your legs and feet resting up on the couch. That might take the pressure off for a while, or sleep on the floor. I have had a lot of back pain in my life, and it was never really controlled well until I started seeing a chiropractor somewhat regularly. I'm sorry you are in pain!! I hope you feel better sooooooon!!!!!!

Do not go to the chiropractor unless you have ruled out a damaged disc. I had three bulging discs in my spine and one ruptured...I have never been in so much pain!!

A reputable chiropractor told me that no one in his field should even touch me...it was a it will heal or need surgery issue. Too much damage for chiro to handle and could be made worse.

I had to have an MRI...expensive but worth it. Then spinal injections to lower the pain level. It finally healed w/out surgery but it took 7 months.

X-ray or MRI... meds until they know what it is. May take a few days between getting an order for an Xray/MRI and the Dr getting to see it and making a diagnosis.

DO NOT forget to mention your clavicle!!

After an injury due to an accident I have dealt with major back pain since, Lots of back spasms that render me usless. No joke it is the worst thing that could happened (o.k well not worst but pretty challenging) anyhow that can happened to a SAHM of three under 6 lol. You just kinda have to let go a bit until you heal. Not sure what could have happened to your back..you'd better get in to find out even though you really, really do NOT want to I don't blame you! But you will have to take it easy until you heal, pain meds can be safe to use as long as you knwo your limit. They say 2 vicadine for me for pain, I can only take one and one is all I need for my small build. Hope you feel better soon! Glad your son is o.k.

also chiropractor is a MUST and do not let anyone adjust you without having an x-ray done first!

Pain meds only mask the pain, they don't fix the problem! Chiropractic is all that helps me, and it's not scary! It's very important to take care of your spine, when a vertebrae is out of alignment, it can danger your nervous system, which controls all bodily function. The pain your describe sounds like a nerve pain. I've had it before and have been dove onto many times, it helps! Ice helps until you can get there and afterward, no more than 15 minutes at a time. I also do massage once a month because tight muscles can hold the spine in the improper position.

I'm glad you are going to the doctor.

1 / 3