My Step-daughter Sleeps Naked from the Waist Down!!!!!!!!

My step daughter who is 9 years old has Asbergers Syndrome. Although she has a few "quirks" about her she is a sweet little girl. Because of her Asbergers her skin is sensitive to certain clothing such as tags, certain fabrics, etc. Recently when she was at our house I discovered that she sleeps naked from the waist down. After she has had her bath she puts on a t-shirt and baggy pants and when she gets in bed for the night...off go her pants. I talked to both my husband (her biological father) and her mother about this and they seemed to think that its no big deal and just another one of her "quirks". I also have two daughters of my own in the same household ages 9 and 6. I have expressed my concerns to her parents and I don't think they see my concerns. I have told them that this behavior is not appropriate and the longer they let her behave this way the harder it will be to break her of them. Please give me some advice. Am I overreacting?

Sleeping without bottoms is not a behavior (or even a quirk) it is simply a preference and a matter of comfort. I think you are seriously overreacting.

I don't understand you concern either. She is covering herself when appropriate when she is awake around the rest of the family and she is covered when she is asleep by her sheets. Many kids (and adults for that mater) seep naked.

I also have to agree that unless she is exposing herself to the rest of the family (ie. walking to the bathroom naked in the middle of the night) I don't think it should be an issue. Maybe longer sleep shirts is a good idea.

I grew up being told that it was better to sleep bare-bottomed. Why don't you buy some long t-shirts or a nightgown for her? It's not going to hurt her, or anyone else, for her to be bare-bottomed as long as she's not walking around like that (and it sounds as though she waits until she's in bed to take off her pants?), it isn't bothering anybody else.
I find it a little sad that you pointed out that despite the fact she's 'defective' she's still a sweet girl (that's how it sounded to me!). I would suggest that maybe this is something you need to adjust to rather than expecting her to adjust to YOUR expectations.

I don't think it is cause for concern as long as she is not exposed around the house. I mean are you girls able to see her nakedness or something? As far as the habit goes, I think it is fine, some people sleep in the buff every night. Now if it is like a family thing that she can be seen naked by other members then I can see that at your house you might need to request she wear something, but at her home I think she should be able to sleep however she feels comfy. There is nothing actually wrong with sleeping without clothing in my opinion. Hope it all works out:)

You are overreacting. Let it go, its not your call to make. Lots of people sleep naked, that does not make them weirdos.

I'm not really clear on what your concern is exactly either. Some doctors recommend that girls/women sleep that way to allow air to help prevent yeast infections. Of course when she starts her period she'll need to wear something then. Unless she's walking around the house making others uneasy with her attire (or lack thereof), I would let her be comfortable to sleep. I don't see anything to "break" her of.

Why is this an issue? Like the other posters, I have been told that it is healthier to sleep without panties. This doesn't even seem like a quirk to me, and certainly nothing to be shamed over.

If she were parading around the house without being covered that would be a different issue. Make sure she has a longer t-shirt or a nice night gown, and either pants or a robe to cover with when she is out of bed. It might be time for a nice gift of a pretty robe for all the girls... a way to handle it positively.

To me, if she is only sleeping this way, this is no issue.

I think this is absolutely fine. Its her body, its her bed. If thats what she needs to do to sleep comfortably, she's entitled to that.

I don't understand what you see as inappropriate about it? Perhaps a cultural/American thing. I'm from a European background and I think its totally okay.

Have you though about joining an Asperger's Support Group? I don't see the problem with what she is doing--I have a "normal" two year old that wants to strip naked in the grocery store--but, it is clearly distressing you.

Perhaps a group might help you understand more what is "normal" for an Asperger's child and you can learn new coping techniques.

This may be just be a phase, but it may be something to be addressed now since Asperger's can cause a lack of awareness about personal space.

You can also use this as a teaching to your daugther's about accepting those who behave differently than they do.

1 / 3