My Son Will Not Drink Milk Unless It Is in a Bottle....

Does anyone have any idea of how to get my 2 1/2 year old son to drink milk from anything but a baby bottle. He has one in the morning and one before bed and refuses milk in any other form, cup, sippy cup etc. I do not have a problem taking the bottle from him, I'm just afraid he'll never drink milk again. I even bought a really cool cup for him with Mickey Mouse on it and that didn't work...I'm stumpped.

you could try taking the bottle to the toy store and getting a new toy BUT you have to pay the store with the bottle. Then there is a new toy and no more bottle.

My first son did the same thing. I knew that I had to stop the bottle, so at about 21/2 yrs old I threw out the bottles and he did stop drinking milk. I couldn't get him to drink milk out of anything, and I also bought really cool cups. He would only drink water. But then one day he started drinking milk again. It just took time. I really can't remember how long it took, but I don't think that it was that long. He's 6 now and he drinks milk all the time.

So, all I can say is that I think that if you take the bottles away that he will eventually drink milk again.

Gook luck,

Good morning A.,

Sorry to hear about your tug of war with your little guy. The solution is easy, just a difficult emotional one for you as i is a control factor of you being in control not him. Your young man has learned at a young age to tell you how it is.. as our kids have a way of doing...... but we have to watch those pot holes in rearing children. as I have had two that are now 36 and 2o.

Since your son is 2 1/2 your best advice is toss out all bottles he does not need them -take back owner ship of parenting and control of who is raising who...trust me he will drink milk.. it is not the vehicle that makes him want milk ... he would not care what the content was in that bottle.... he just wants the bottle...

Mom your doing a great job.. give him those spill proof sippy cups and cutsy cups you find enjoy raising him. they are only little once. but his baby baby bottle stage is gone. the bottle stage is gone too....you will find once that bottle is gone potty training if it is not done will be ALOT easier too. He should be almost finished with that job too..... or will be by age 3 . Good luck Mom... BIG HUG... whatever you do... do not give back a bottle once you take them away you will have lost battle. u will be starting from ground up again twice as hard.. that is why i said toss them out. or box them up for the next child. or salvation army if there are no more babies for your family.

My son went on a milk strike when we took his bottles away at 15 months. To be truthful, he never got over it. He even refuses to drink chocolate milk (he's 3 1/2 now). Instead of trying to force him to drink milk out of a cup (which I think might be why he hates it so much...because we pushed it too hard), we now offer him lots of calcium-rich alternatives such as yogurt (Yo baby from Stonyfield Farms is great!), cheese sticks, and calcium-rich veggies. Maybe if you try not to make it such an issue, he;ll come around on his own. Whatever you decide, good luck! :)

My youngest son refused to drink milk at all, under no circumstances, when he was old enough to. In fact, it was probably 1.5 - 2 yrs. before he would drink milk. He might have some in cereal and that would be it (after the first year anyway). I talked to his ped. and he said as long as he gets his calcium and vitamin D in other products such as ice cream, cheese, yogurt, fortified juices and such things that he would be just fine. If he associates milk with his "bottle with mommy" time try buying milk in small cartons (like you see in lunch rooms for schools)or even flavored milks. I hope things work out.

Hi A.-
Have you tried a straw sippy cup? If not, it might be something new for him to try. You could also try the Nuby brand sippy cups. They have a soft silicone spout and they also have a soft silicone straw cup. You can find these at Walmart and some other stores. It might be a better transition because it is not a hard plastic.

there is this new sippy cup like bottle that u can try its called Nuby and it comes in Soft and the hard cups.. that is the only thin that i can think of unless u try to add flavors to the cup like tellin him that if he drinks in this cup the mike is a Differet color strawberry or chol... that might work.. Hope that helps..

I know that most people will tell you just to take it away but I think it is still ok. I usually took my kids bottles away during a vacation. We travel to Florida once a year and they were so busy having fun that it was easy to get rid of it. I did notice that they didnt drink as much milk when they gave up the bottle. Your son is only 2 1/2 dont worry so much he won,t be drinking that bottle when he's 5.

Gook luck,

neither of my kids would drink milk out of a cup. my youngest still has one bottle at night (she's 15mos), but that's it. i asked the pediatrician about and he said as long as they're getting calcium in other forms (yogurt, cheese, fortified juices/bread/etc) not to worry about it. maybe check with your ped and see what they say?

1 / 3