My Son Touched His Elf on the Shelf - Now What???

We have been lucky so far in our new tradition this year. But yesterday I caught my son (4yro) touching his Elf on the Shelf. If you know this tradition you know that "takes away his magic". Now I don't know what to do to bring it back. I don't think he did it to take it away, more just to see what would happen if he did it. Boundary testing much? He has wiggled his fingers at the Elf to give it back even. I thought about making him write a note to Santa to say he was sorry and hopefully Santa would call the Elf back and get it and he would have a second chance. I worry that he has touched the Elf before, I have tried to put him up high, and that is why my son doesn't believe me is b/c this is the first time I have caught him in the act. The Elf has been moved every night so if he did touch it I don't know and he hasn't told me.

We have the Elf on the Shelf. We have a 4 year old daughter and 20 month old son. Yesterday, our Elf "Henry" fell from his perch!! My 20 month old son grabbed him and my daughter cried. She was so afraid Henry would go away and not come back. So, we decided in fairness to her but at the same time to play by the rules we let her right a letter to Santa and leave it for him last night. Henry returned this morning with a note from Santa letting her know that since she wrote such a lovely letter he would give Henry one more chance to be at our houst.

I would suggest letting your Elf have a day off. Let him not come back one day. Let your son write a letter to Santa, let the Elf return with a note from Santa, etc.

The book doesn't exactly cover this, so we did what we thought was right.

When I was a teenager my dad pulled the old, "I know what you did, and if you just confess then you wont get in as much trouble" routine. Of course he had no clue what I had actually done but on more than one occasion I spilled my guts like a dummy. Maybe you could have Santa call him (grandpa, daddy, uncle) and tell him that he knows that he touched his elf and he sees everything he does, etc. You might be able to get him to confess and then Santa can forgive him but tell him never to do it again.

What a sticky situation, good luck

I have never heard of this before......sounds cute....what book are you talking about? We love elves as our decorations, so I am interested in what this is about.

I have no advice but this is too funny! I have the elf too and love that you are wanting to keep the tradition going. I like the confession to Santa. I bet that would work.

One night we found this box and I carefully took the elf out and set him on a high shelf.My three kids (one eight,one 5, one 11) just LOVED that little elf! We named him Elfie.He moved every night and my kids wanted to touch them but they rememberd that night when we got him i read the book. It made my kids behave like angels!!!! Now the year after that it was 10 days before Chistmas NO ELF then it was the day of chistmas NO ELF!!!!!!!!!! MY KIDS GOT SOOOO UPSET!!!! Now its 77 days before Chistmas and my eight year old is already searching on google,going to www.elfontheshelf.com and writeing letters to santa online telling him to bring back our Elf, Elfie

I have never heard of "Elf on the Shelf". Where do you buy one?
R.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

boundaries santa traditions