My Son's Tongue Tied ?

i've noticed The tip of my 3 year old son's tongue is conected to the route of the floor of his mouth . i was brushing his teeth when i noticed it . I've never reaconized it before . i read up on it , and i'm considing he is tongue tied on what i have put together . If it is true How does this happen ? he can stick his tongue out , but hes never stuck it up over his lip . I've tryed to get him to , but he just looks at me and sticks his tongue out and laughs . When he was a baby , he was breastfed , but by the pump , he ws to premature for sucking . Will this affect his health . Compared to his twin sister , His speach is pretty off , i know they go at different paces , but he can talk pretty good , some words you can hear , but others you can ask him 100 times and he'll tell you the same thing , but you can't understand . If he is tongue tied , what should i do about it ? Is it bad enough for surgery ? if he is not tongue tied , what else could it be ? I'm thinking that his prematuritycould have caused him to me tongue tied . could that be the reason ? No one from niether his father nor my family is tongue tied . i've called his doctor , and set up an appointment .

My mother-in-law told me that some kids have to have their tounges clipped. like right under their tounge where that piece of I guess you can call it skin connects it to the bottom of their mouth. (I hope I'm explaining this to where you understand) They clip that part and it helps them to move their tounge around better. Good luck!

Ask your doctor about it. It is pretty common. It can affect speech. The doctor will just clip the under part of the tongue. It isn't really "surgery." They can do it in the office. If your doctor won't do it, you can ask him for a referral. You can google it and find more information. Some doctors will leave it, but if it is affecting speech you may as well get it clipped. There really is nothing too it. :)

I noticed my infant was tongue-tied a couple of weeks after her birth. (It generally runs in families. My brother had his snipped when he was a couple of years old.) It was probably causing nursing issues, although we had kind of figured out a way around it by then. Still, I asked my pediatrician about it. (They don't even look for this condition anymore.) She referred me to a specialist who agreed with my diagnosis. She snipped it there and then, no anesthesia, just a little bit of sugary substance beforehand followed by nursing afterward. It was easy, and my dd has much better use of her tongue and, according to the specialist, snipping it probably loosened up the muscles in her jaw.

I'm not sure how this procedure would go for a 3 yo. Depending on the severity, they may very well not recommend snipping it. You probably want to see a specialist. We saw Mary Ann O'Hara in north Seattle. It might be worth a call, at the least.

My husband was tongue tied as a child and it caused him some speech issues. I believe they tried speech therapy because he had a strong lisp. He was being made fun of in school. Therefore, he did eventually have it clipped. From what his mother and him told me at age 8 it was pretty horrid experience for him. They had put him under anesthesia, which he had a bad reaction to. (I'm a nurse and every person experience with the same procedure is different.)
Well, our daughter was born last year and she was also tongue tied. It was diagnosed before we even left the hospital. I was told it was not a major concern but may affect her nursing or speech later on. Well she nursed like a champ but was extremely painful for me. We went to see a ENT, they explained that some kids have trouble licking ice cream, and one story of an older girl who had trouble kissing her boyfriend. (Not that it was important at our time, just something to consider.) Since my husband had a bad experience getting it clipped later in life, we decided to clip hers early. We did it around 2-3 months old. It was done in clinic with my husband holding her. She handled it like a champ. They numbed with oral gel, snipped it, then all done. Minimal bleeding. She didn't cry until the doctor wanted to look a second time after clipping.

All that being said, it probably is not going to affect overall health but may affect in some psychological ways. Or it may be over come and you may never know it's there.

I had my son's clipped when he was 4 days old. There's a dentist in Albany, OR who does it for free. It still didn't help with nursing, though. His speech is fine.

Conversely, I had a friend who played French Horn and had his clipped at age 20 so that he could be a better horn player. If you're a musical family, this could be something to consider. My pal's procedure was no big deal, but he was 20 and knew what was going on.

How old is your son?
The clipping is very easy when done to a newborn, but in a toddler/older kids, it may be a little trickier and *may* involve a real surgery.
This is a topic on which doctors are pretty divided. If you add speech therapists' opinions, you'll get a million different answers.
There are different "degrees" of being tongue tied, with different implications. It's hard to give you any advice without seeing it or hearing him speak. I guess the only suggestion I have is to get him evaluated.

FWIW, I dated a guy who had a pretty severe tongue tie, the tip of his tongue could barely move. He only discovered at the age of 20 that not everyone was like him, so obviously it didnt cause him too much trouble! His speech was completely normal. The only thing he had a hard time with was licking ice cream...

Of course my first reaction to this is, "Have you talked to your doctor?" But secondly, my daughter was diagnosed wtih a shortened frenulum (tongue tie) at birth. They said they do not routinely snip them anymore unless it interferes with eating/nursing (which it didn't) or affects her speech later. So, if it's affecting your son's speech, I'd have him checked by your doctor and then probably a speech pathologist to see if speech therapy will help or if surgery is necessary. Anymore, they don't do it in the doctor's office as an outpatient procedure. It has to be done in a surgical room. Sigh... Good luck, but know that he's still young and his speech is still developing. I had a friend whose son I couldn't understand until just recently and he's almost 6.

I know a great doctor in Seattle who you can call and see if you should see her for a consult. She takes most insurances, and can do a frenotomy (small clip in the frenulum) as an outpatient procedure with no anesthesia if necessary. If it is really tight it can cause pain later and/or speech problems. I don't have her number but her name is Dr.MaryAnn O'hara and her practice is called Seattle breastfeeding medicine(because most tongue ties are unfortunately discovered when there are problems latching..ow!) good luck!

My son had this condition. It seems that younger pediatricians don't know how to deal with it, they are not trained on it, so they recommend doing nothing. My son had very hard time breastfeeding and after 1 week my nurse practitioner recommended we fix the condition. She just found an older pediatrician who had done this before. It's an easy fix, it's not a surgery (at least for newborns) nothing like circumcision, and there are no side effects--why not do it? My son started breastfeeding right away. You should just talk to more experienced doctors who have done this before.

1 / 3