My Son's 1St Birthday-- Any Ideas?!

My son will be a year old on May 3rd, and dont know what to do for his birthday!? Anyone have any ideas?? :)

Hey everyone! Just want to say THANKS for all your ideas on Elijahs 1st Birthday! I think i decided im going to take him and some family to the zoo!! I think he will love that, and im very excited :)

At one, a group away from home is often overwhelming and stressful for mom and baby alike. I would recommend a home party with a couple of friends with toddlers, perhaps 2-3 at the most. You could do a theme - like a favorite Disney movie. My brother and sister in law had a Nemo party for their 2 year old. Homemade Nemo cake, party supplies, little fish decorations hung from the ceiling, etc. Many of his presents were theme-driven too. Like a stuffed Nemo. At his age, a little goes a long way and will be much more pleasant for all involved. Keep it low key and take lots of pics.

I agree with most of the previous responses. The first birthday is really more for the adults rather than the child. We had a cookout in the backyard so all the kids could play, mostly cousins and a few friends. We did have a bubble machine that we bought at Walmart for $5 that we set off so the kids could play. We had cake and ice cream, we got the cake from Kroger where they also gave us for free a small cake just for the baby to dig in. Everyone got to visit, the kids got to play. It was pretty simple. And my theory is keep it simple, don't stress over it, then you won't have any fun.
Hope this helps,

If you live in a house, you could have a bounce house party with the bounce house for the kids. I don't know what area you live in, but two years ago I rented a bounce house with the clown included and the she painted different items such as a butterfly, spiderman, flower etc.
on the kids. They enjoyed it.

I'm not sure how many kids you are inviting. I hang out with about 12 moms with babies. So, everyone is at about the same age.

We had my son's b-day at Petland. They have a party room and bring in all the animals. It was great! We also went to a 1st b-day party 2 weeks ago at gymboree and it was a blast. We've also attended about 7 other 1st b-day parties in homes. Those were fun too. I've noticed that most people just keep it simple as far as just cake and drinks. Also, it's important to offer a sugar free cake for the little ones as a lot of the moms don't want their kiddos hyped up on sugar. Every party had trays of bannanas and cheerios along with juice and whole milk. One party had the disposable sippy cups.

Hi A., for my three children on their 1st birthday, I had family and friends bring something special to put in a box to be opened on their 18th birthday. My grandmother brought a letter she had written, others brought poems, photos, momentos, saving bonds, etc. I put in things like the sonogram pictures, the umbiblical cord stump, special baby outfits. And the really cool thing is that I still add things thoughout all these years, ticket stubs to shows, letters about funny things they do or say, their kindergarden cap and gown. I think it is something they will really cherish when they get older. Besides, do you really need more toys and clothes for your one year old who will outgrow the clothes in a few months, and be tired of the toys in as little of time.

I agree with A. C, the first birthday party and sometimes second is really for you more than them and its their FIRST... We invited EVERYONE we knew and it was also sort of a welcome party for those who had not made it into town or what have you to see him. we had a big bash for each one and made it really special with a magician for the kids (most of the kids in attendance at all of our parties have been a little older. just a few were the same age...) a lunch buffet, huge cake, bubble machine, bounce house... we had a blast and then after that we did chuck e cheese and one year we had a party at the Heard museum for my son who turned 3 last november. we had a dinosaur party when the dinos were there and that was a blast...

Any way, Have a blast they only celebrate their firsts one time!

ps, I own Celebrity Party favors and if you need any party favors made for you give me a call and I would love to put some ideas together for you.-
A. J
www.celebritypartyfavors.com

Today is my son's first birthday! We are having a family dinner complete with a special cake and presents. The people coming are all people he knows and loves. The food is ok for him to eat and the party will start shortly after his naptime so he will be at his best and can enjoy the excitement. We will have some decorations but not too many because most of the decorations are choking hazards and our son likes to handle everything! We purchased all of our supplies at Party City. They have really cute supplies for 1st birthdays. Most of all, just enjoy it. Do whatever your family enjoys doing.

My daughter's birthday was simple but fun! I covered the floor with balloons and let her and her two toddler buddies crawl, walk, and jump through them. Her cake had a wind-up train on the top, also very entertaining. Sweet and short, awesome pictures!

Don't invite everyone! Haha, we had too many visitors on my daughter's first, and she was overwhelmed and miserable. I recommend close family, bright colors, and fun textures :)

There are some picture people around that will photograph your child while having the first birthday cake. They provide the cake and decorations but you supply the hungry kiddo. The pictures are really cute!!!

my only suggestion is to keep it small and simple. no huge bashes that include every family member known to man and a million kids. one year olds just get overwhelmed or bored by it all. close kid friends or cousins plus family members will suffice for a guest list. do a dinner at home or out plus cake and presents. no games are really needed at this stage unless you want to for the older kids. enjoy the simple years before you get the requests for the fancy stuff! LOL

1 / 3