My Son Seem's to Always Be Congested!!

I honestly feel like our son has had a cold/cold on his chest since last September!! I have brought him to the dr numerous times, his chest and lungs are fine, each time they tell me it's normal for kids under 2 to go through runny noses, congestion, etc. They have a habit of making you feel like you're worrying for nothing a lot of the times. They tell me to do the humidifier and steam baths, etc...which we do from time to time (we feel like that's not even doing anything). I've even tried a bowl of boiled water with a few dashes of Eucalyptus oil in it on top of the heater. Every night I put the J&J Vapor Bath in his tub, I also rub his chest and back with Little Remedies Rub nightly as well. He's always dressed warmly, always wears slippers in the house, I stopped washing his hair every evening when he takes his bath (around 7:30pm), he takes Polyvisol vitamins daily, he eats well...nothing seems to really be working, I don't know what else to do!! He's not in any distress or complaining, but you sometimes hear it in his throat or feel the rattling on his back and we have to tell him to "cough" to clear it out. I guess it seems to be bothering us more than it appears to be bothering him. Then when other people notice it, it makes it worse. When he's up, you sometimes hear him holding in his breath, but when he's asleep, he doesn't do it, so it's weird. He sometimes snores at night, which his father is a pro at. He sneezes once in a while and coughs too. You can hear the mucous in his throat. I asked the dr if it's the dairy since I heard it produces more mucous, they told me no (he loves milk and cheese). His nose isn't snotty or running or anything right now. I'm starting to think it's allergies since I have so many (dust, dander, grass, etc), so I've promised myself to start dusting a lot more around the house, which I admit I don't keep up with (I'm thinking of buying Pledge after work today!) I haven't used saline drops (Little Remedies again) in a while because he started giving me a hard time, I mean a real hard time, but I tried last night and he thought it was fun and wanted me to keep doing it!!

Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe natural remedies, etc.? I tried honey and lime a couple times, not sure if that did anything. A neighbor told me about marshmallow root tea that they use in her country (Russia) that she gives her twins that are about 6mths younger than my son, which I also gave him twice, 2 teaspoons or something (can't remember the exact dose, but it wasn't a lot). I don't normally use things I'm not familiar with, but since she said she's used it and it wasn't a drug, I tried it.

04/16/09- 10:32am
Thanks for the replies and messages so far. Question, should I go to an allergist first, an ENT dr or do my own thing of removing items around him one by one (ex, stop dairy, laundry detergent, etc.) When removing items, should I do it 2 weeks/item? Like no dairy for 2 weeks and check results, if no change for the better, then change his laundry detergent, etc...?

He has his 18mth check-up next month and I'm almost sure his dr's are going to say it's nothing again. I don't know if I need to change dr's, because they're checking what they need to check, I just think I need to go a step further than a general pediatrician and see a specialist.

It could be his diet. Try removing sugars, processes foods, and white grains from his diet for two weeks. It might make a huge difference (it did for me!).

If it's that bad, cut out the dairy products. Seriously, they create mucous and prolong those colds, etc. You can get calcium and all the nutrients from vitamins and other products like soy milk. My son has been off dairy for over a year and when he gets a cold it only lasts a day, if that. He's 4 and the soy milk he drinks is fortified. Give it a try.

Hi there! My daughter had similar issues for a long time, and I've had her on Sinupret for Kids for a while now. It has helped immensely. Check its availability in your area on their site: http://www.bionoricausa.com/product-details/sinupret-for-... I didn't see this in the other responses and wanted to pass it along, and I've done all of the allergen-stripping from the house like the other moms have done. Good luck!

Wow - I can understand how frustration that must be.

There are many things you can try to do. First off I would not buy Pledge - switch to non-toxic cleaners. This removed all congestion from my children when they were young. Here's some to look at www.shaklee.net/healthmatters4u/getclean/index . Completely gauaranteed if you are not satisfied. Changing the laundry cleaners is imperative. He is breathing in those chemicals all day on his clothing & bedding.

I disagree about the dairy. It most certainly can contribute to increased mucous production. That is one reason I removed dairy when my daughter was little. I have access to many, many resources to share with you so you can educate yourself and make the best choices.

I raised 2 healthy children with no sick visits. See more at www.nosickvisits.com

Feel free to contact me - I love share information to help people make decisions to raised healthy kids.

Important Note *** Allergies are a symptom that the immune system is over reacting - medicating the symptoms will not solve the underlying issue - the need for a healthy immune system. Be cautious - when you medicate the symptom away - the body will give another message (sickness or symptoms). Solve the underlying issue and you raise health kids!

hi K.,
I think you're right about allergies. My son was the same way --it was like he was born congested but it never seemed to bother him. He didn't look like a "classic" allergic child either; his nose rarely dripped and his eyes were clear, but his nose was always always always itchy and his head was always plugged up. We had the food panel done at 2 and he tested positive for peanuts and tree nuts. They said wait until he was 3 to do the rest because they can change so much, but really I think we wasted our time waiting. After finding out he was allergic to maple, birch, oak and ash trees, as well as pollen in general, grass/ragweed and cats, we shut the windows, gave the cat away and cleaned the house. Then, still stuffy! In the fall I brought him in again and requested a down/feather test because that was truly the last thing left that was possibly allergenic in the house. The allergist was doubtful, saying that kids usually don't develop a down problem until they're older, which was exactly what he said when my son tested positive for all the environmental stuff at 3. Anyway, the prick test was negative but the under-the-skin test was quite positive. Out went the comforters and finally, this winter, for the first time in his 5-year-old life, he breathed easily. You just never know and there are so many things that could be causing a problem. It's just a long process of elimination. I wish I could offer up some wisdom about treatment; they want our son to have shots and this month he started Veramyst nasal spray to help him through the pollen season. I hate the idea of medicating him six months of the year but nothing else, none of the over-the-counter stuff anyway, seems to help and I don't want him locked inside the house all summer.
good luck!

My husband and I joke that our son (11 months) has had a cold for the last eight months! We were in the "clear" for the last month, but then seasonal allergies hit. Our son is in day care, so he gets whatever they have despite his babysitter's best efforts.

If he's not bothered by it, then just leave it alone. We were so hypervigilant in the beginning that my son would scream when anything resembling an aspirator came near him. Just keep "steaming him" and encourage him to blow his nose. Our doctor encouraged us to keep his fluids high when the congestion was at its worst to keep him from getting dehydrated.

We also really like the "Boogie Wipes". You can get them at Babies R Us online only. They are saline wipes and they keep his little nose from getting chapped!

I had a similar experience to Danielle R. I switched pediatricians because the group I was with basically gave me the brush off as well. Listen...you are the MOM!!! You know your child. Don't let the doctors intimidate you. On the first visit to the new pediatrician, they diagnosed my daughter with a problem like asthma (RAD--Reactive Airway Disease). She also has allergies, but mostly to DUST. She had been tested already by an allergist, I suggest you go to an allergist b/c they can test like 50 things at a time on your son's back; including food. The RAD caused her to have what sounded like congestion 24/7. We did the prednisolone, nebulizer, humidifier, everything...that was when they said nothing was wrong. This dr. put her on Singulair and she's been perfect ever since. Good luck to you and let us know what happens!

Hi K., I would have him checked for allergies. Once you know why the congestion starts, I Agree with the natural way. The less meds we take, the better. Do you have any pets? Best wishes, Grandma Mary

It sounds like his adenoids. He needs to have an x-ray of his sinuses to see if there is an infection and then maybe a CTscan of his sinuses. I have been through the same thing with both my children and they both had to get their adenoids out.
The snoring itself is a great indicator it's his adenoids.
What helped alot with my son is Flonex spray for his nose and we would also give him a half teaspoon of benadryl before bed. He's only 3 so we give him the absolute least dose.
Although some natural remedies aid in relieving the discomfort nothing will get rid of this if it's really his adenoids. I would tape your child snoring and take it in to the Dr. for them to have a listen.
My oldest child has asthma and their Dr. also treats my youngest for it too even though he hasn't been properly tested. He too has the cough that worsens at night and we nebulize him before bed which helps a great deal too.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

1 / 3