My Son Rocks Back and Forth All the Time. I Am Worried

My son is a very happy and active 10 month old. He is very social..he waves bye bye and smiles alot but he rarely laughs. He rocks back and forth most of the time. Which is a real concern for me. I talked with the doctor about it and he seems to think he is just fine and is soothing himself. any advice would be great.

My daughter is 9 months old and recently started doing the same thing. I was concerned at first too, but the more I talked with friends and family the more I realized that all babies do this. So I don't think there is anything you should be concerned about, especially if he's content and happy.

I would definitely keep an eye on that. If he continues to do that and/or exhibits other behaviors that concern you, seek the advice of another doctor. You are a good mom to notice this and seek advice.

I would get more advise or testing if it was me. Sounds like a possiable problem. You can't count on the Dr's always being right been there & I know personally my daughter has Autism it's mild but it's a learning problem for her & I really had to push to get a referal & testing but now at least she gets the extra help she needs to suceed. The sooner you get a diagnosis of a problem the better for the child and IF there's not a problem GREAT but you can't hurt anything by further checking into things. I've been told & agree that a Mother knows & senses when something isn't right.... if you feel something may not be right then do what you need to do for yourself & your child to find out!

K.,

I would pursue an expert in childhood development. The rocking is a self soother on one hand but also could be a sign of autism. Don't freak out at the word there are all kinds of autism on the spectrum. My daughter was diagnosed at 4 months and because of the early diagnosis she received all the therapies IN HOME. She is a now wonderful 14 year old doing exceptionally well. If you buy the "he's fine and will grow out of it" message you may loose precious years of assistance that could help him overcome obstacles later.

I would not take the doc's passe explanation but search out for a developmental specialist to see if there is any concern or health issue such as autism involved. EARLY DETECTION and INTERVENTION now will mean a solid future for him.

J. W.

darling, don't worry too much about it. my little sister did that since she started crawling....a frend of my mothers (an old indian lady) told her that they call them rythem (spelling) babies....and my sister is now 23 years old....she still does it to this day. its like a soothing way to calm them down, or she now does it when she is worried or nervous. now my daughter does it. nothing to worry about, its like their security blanket.

I am a mom of two boys that have developmental delays. For kids under three you have to get in touch with your county. They offer infant/toddler services and will come to your house and have your son evaluated and ask you a bunch of questions. If they see anything that is a concern they will let you know. They might also suggest you take him to a developmental pediatrician to get evaluated but there is an exteremely long waiting list. Try the infant/toddler services first. If they see and needs that your child has they will offer services for free and try to get him help. It is a lot better if you address this issue early cause if he does have any developmental delays or needs help in speech or any other issue they will get him the proper help to take care of it all.

I recently read somewhere that it is normal for babies that age to rock to sooth themselves(up until 18 mos I believe). Are you involved with Parents as teachers? They are a great free resource thru your school district and are very helpful with questions like that. They come to your house periodically until your child is age 3. my baby is only 6 wks but i have already found it so helpful in re: what is normal developmentally,etc at this age. They also offer all sorts of workshops,screenings,etc.

K.,
You sound like you are very aware of your child. Sometimes new mommies worry too much. But it's smart to be aware and careful. You got lots of great advice so far from others. I would say everybody had great points to give you,....also check out websites on aspergers syndrome. Some of the other people who wrote you could possibly have relatives with that as well. It is thought to be a mild form of autism. I don't know if it is true but I have heard that even Bill Gates has it. It's definately associated with high intelligence. Keep searching until you are satisfied that your child is doing fine and that you are doing all you can for him.

Get involved with your Parents As Teachers program. They are run through your school district and it is a free service. A parent educator will come out to your home for visits every 4-6 weeks and they are a great resource! Also it's always better to have someone evaluate a child in their own home where they are more comfortable! Sometimes there are waiting lists but if you tell them you have concerns they might get you in right away!

1 / 3