My Son Keeps Getting the Stomach Flu

i have two kids, a son who is six and in kindergarten, and a two year old daughter. at christmas, the entire family, with the exception of my husband, got the stomach flu. yesterday, my son started to vomit again; stopped for the day; and started vomiting again last night, and has diarrhea. is there something going around and around, or should i take him to the doctor. he seems miserable. i know generally my doctor's office doesn't want you to bring in kids with flu like symptoms.

i want to thank everyone for all of the wonderful feedback. my son is feeling much better,with the exception of having a bit of diarrhea still. he refused to take pedialyte, so i went with what my grandmother used to give me; flat ginger ale and saltines. it seemed to do the trick, along with a lot of rest. his appetite isn't completely back, but it's getting there. and, i've kept him hydrated. knock on wood, no one else has had any symptoms, as of yet! i'm planning on keeping him out of school for one more day, to be on the safe side!

thank you all for the quick responses and advice!

Hi!!
I went through the same thing!! The kids have to get used to each others germs!! Kindergarten does just that. My son was sick all the time!! Know he is in 2nd grade and has not had a stomache virus in a year!! They have to build up there immune system. Good luck!!

If the doctor's office doesn't want you to bring your child in, then call. My daughter's doctor's office has a triage nurse to answer the calls and make suggestions of treatment. Good luck getting through this.

We just had the same miserable thing go through our house. My 1 year old, 12 year old, myself and fiancee all suffered. Within a week my 1 year old got it again. I called her pediatrician and they had me bring her into the office. He said it was a different strain of the virus and it just had to run its course. Keep your son hydrated with liquids - Pedialyte or Gatorade. This stomach flu is going around everywhere; keep everyone's hands washed and make Lysol your best friend. Good luck, it will pass.

My two year old daughter had the same symptoms that began this past Friday. I called the doctor on Sunday because her temperature would not go down and she was holding her stomach and screaming. The doctor said that there is a stomach virus going around and is very contagious. My daughter went to the doctor this morning and was put on an antibiotic and was instructed to take Tylenol and Motrin simultaneously for the stomach pain every 6 hours. I suggest calling your doc. because the virus can lead to dehydration and ear infections in your 2 year old. Trust your instinct.

I work for the school health office and I can reiterate what the other poster said. The kids are just now being exposed to many bugs...the stomach bug being one of them. Our school has had about 7 rounds of this stomache virus. The other thing that you may need to keep in mind is that surprisingly, many stomache ailments are actually food bourne. In other words they can be mild forms of food poisoning. Ask the teacher how many kids have been out with the stomache virus and you can get a pretty good idea of what has been making the rounds in your child's class.

This is his first year of school. It is VERY normal for them to get over one sickness just to get another one right away. They are still building up their ammune system to all these viruses. I remember when my daughter was in kindergarten. There was a 2 week period where it seemed like every other day she was absent for one thing or another. With my son, he missed at least 20 days of school because of "picking" something up from other kids.

I'd say wait it out and if he isn't better within a couple of days then call the doctors.

Good Luck!!!

could be rotovirus. There are several right now. England has a norovirus epidemic to right now to. Rotovirus tends to come pack. Practice good hygene. Wash your towels in hot water often and watch out for dehydration. If he cant take in fliuds at all he may need an IV. Talk to your doctors nurse about signs of severe dehydration. If its viral there is really not any medicine they can give to make it better. I would call and ask them what over the counter stuff may help.

K.-
Same thing here...we've been getting it every four-five days for four weeks...my 2 yr old has it the worse, apparently it's going around my 5 yr old's school. Called the doctor and they said it's going around just have to ride it out...Good luck!

My husband had the flu this weekend. Then my son got it yesterday. And I don't feel so hot today either... There is definately something going around again.

1 / 3