My Son Is Going to Have a Audio Hearing Test, Anyone Else Gone Through This?

My son, who will turn three in July, has delayed speach. We never thought his hearing was bad becuase he hears us, and responds when we tell him or ask him something. He can say words, names, colors and other things like that, but he doesn't speak in clear sentences. He rambles alot, especially when he is excited. He gets frustrated with us when we don't understand him, and will scream really loud. So last week I took him to the doctors and they checked his ears. At first they thought he had fluid in one ear, but they did a pressure test(I think that's what it was callled) to measure how the eardrum works when air is pushed into the ear. His left ear was fine, but his right eardrum wasn't. So, next week he is going to have a audio test done with a ears,nose and throat doctor. So my question is, has anyone experienced this, and what happened? Also, he is going to go to a speach therapist after he turns three. Thanks for your help.

Thank you all for your response. We had the test done today and everything went fine. He didn't pass 100%, but they were not too concerned. He will start with a speach tharapist next month. Thanks again.

Hello I'm a mother of 2 and my oldest is 13 and my youngest is 11. My 13 year old had a problem when he was little he wasn't able to pronounce words clearly, or you just couldn't understand him I use to have him repeat himself. I took him to a speach therpist and they told me he had a phonic disorder. They said he had problems pronuncing the words because his mind is going faster than his mouth. After 3 years of speach thearpy he learned to slow down when he talked. He still has the problem today but only when he is excited. Hope this helped you.

My son went thru this many years ago. He did end up having a hearing loss due to constant ear infections. The test is no big deal. They will put headphones on him and send sounds or tones thru them. All my son was required to do was point to the ear the sound was coming from. My son did end up having tubes put in his ears, his tonsils & adnoids removed. He will always have a slight hearing loss but other than that he never got another ear infection & rarely ever got sick.

Hi Bridget,
I am currently going through something close to this with my 5 yr old. At her kinder check up, they discovered that she can not hear in her left ear. Other than a few letters being mispronounced I had not noticed it. I think the reason was, I have been teaching her American Sign Language since she was 1 yr old. I found in a magazine a video series called Signing Time, by Two Little Hands. Thanks to Signing Time, ASL has become a family learning experience. I encourage you to begin signing with your son. You can go to www.signingtime.com
You can also read about the benifits of Signing at http://www.signingtime.com/article_info.php?articles_id=11
I would also encourage you to log on to the Signing Time forums, they have a forum to discuss about speah delays, and other special needs. Here you can talk with other parents that have been there done that!

Boy do I hear your concern. Last December I had a gut feeling that something was wrong with my son's hearing. He heard us, responded exactly what your son is doing. I took him to Kaiser and demanded that they tell me what's wrong. I had the hearing test done with the right ear completely block virtually no souond going through. I was then refered to the ENT (Ears, Nose & Throat) when they found he had a ear infection. Yes, that simple! But before the 4 week wait to get in I was in speech therapy for 4 weeks which helped a little. My kid never pulled on his ear, had a fever or anything. Some kids react different then others and boys are more into being out side and riding there bikes. In other words, they never slow down. He was on antibiotics for 10 days and guess what? He is talking up a storm and I cannot get him to shut up!! LOL
A word of advise - if you think something is wrong go with your gut feeling because you are probably right. Demand they look further into it because the longer you wait the possiblility of perpament hearing loss is greater. Also, ask about tubes (they are not a bad thing)... If you need to talk just write back. I'll help you through this.

my son had two hearing tests done at sacramento ENT, one when he was 18mos old and the second when he turned 2 because he also has a speech delay. The test is actually very simple they bring you into a sound proof room that has a windoe it kind of reminded me of a vault, then they show your son a toy or something to distract him then the nurse outside speaks or makes sounds into a microphone if your sonturns his head to the side where the noise is coming from (left, right speakers) they will reward him with turning on a box that has a big or dog that moves. It is very easy and age appropiate fortunetly my sons hearing is fine I hope the same for your son.

I've been through soemthing similar to that with my son who is only 8 months! I just wanted to tell you the outcome for us was an absolute miracle!!! I was told my son was deaf in one ear from birth. So they tested and tested him and he failed all of his tests. Then when we went into do a sedation and extensive hearing test they found fluid in his ear. (Which the docs are saying it could have been there the entire time without them seeing it.) So he was scheduled for surgery to put a tube in that one ear and it went well aside from the nights and mornings he couldn't eat! (I think that's the worst part.) Well he went in to do the sedation test, the ASSR, and he passed with flying colors and he's completely normal! So good luck and pray about it. Everything will work out in the end!

Hi! the hearing test is very easy. I go to Kaiser and this is what they do there. A parent and the child go into a sound proof room. The child put on a stero headset and will hear sounds in his/her ear. He will have a gadget with a button to push everytime he hears a sound through the headsets. this will measure his hearing. Very harmless and doesn't hurt. The only discomfort is when they check the ears. Nothing to worry about, my dau been going since 2nd grade. Scared at first but couldn't wait for the next time. Now she is 15 1/2.
I went to a speech therapist way back when I was in 1st grade. They make it fun and enjoyable.

My son was also speech delayed at 3 and getting frustrated when he didn't understand me. He is now 6 and has been diagnosed with CAPD. Make sure they test him for Central Auditory Processing Disorder. His hearing test can come back prefectly fine but between the ear and the brain the signal gets all jumbled. Good Luck!

My daughter did this when she was 21 months old. I sat with her in a sound proof room and they piped in different sounds (a bird chirping, for instance) from different speakers and watched her eyes to see if they looked for the source of the sound. It was pretty painless and I thought it was interesting. The worst part was that they said she had lots of earwax, so they actually put her in a straight jacket type of thing and cleaned her ears with I dont' even remember what, but she was screaming the whole time. But after that, she was fine, she just never wanted to got to the doctor again!

1 / 3