My Son Has ADD - Question About Vyvanse

My almost 9 year old son was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder when he was 6 1/2 in first grade. Since then he's been on several different medications. We're about to start Vyvanse and I was wondering if anyone has a child that's taken this medication and how it affects them. I'm concerned after reading other comments on another website about different side effects, but all the other medications he has taken work for a little while and then stop doing the job. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much for your responses! I know there was a wide variety of advice. My son has been on Vyvanse for a little over a month now. There hasn't been any side effects, but we haven't really seen the medicine working like it should. Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question!

I have 3 girls two are add and my 8 year old is adhd all are on concerta ,I like this medicine it has showed to be very promising.I do not recommend Stratera it makes my children like zombies.Good luck

My oldest son is also ADD. We have tried several medications and the best we have found is a new patch called Daytrona. It works wonders for him and since he doesn't swallow it, he doesn't end up with tummy aches. I do not know anything about Vyvanse. Sorry.

My 11 year old son has been on vyvance fr almost two years and I see promise in him. I don't really see any side affects in my son. I like it more than most of the medictions they have had him on in the past.

I am a teacher (3rd grade) and have 5 students on Vyvanse. My daughter-in-law is a sales rep for Shire Pharmaceuticals that promotes Vyvanse.
In my opinion, from both sources and experiences mentioned above, Vyvanse is the best option today for ADD. It is different from Concerta, Ritalin, and other ADD meds in that it must break down the enzymes over time and when it mixes with the enzymes it is then released over time. It does not release is "blasts" like Concerta. Any side effects will dissipate within two weeks.

When we started suspecting ADHD in my son, I was not ready (and still am not) to give him some chemical drug to try to "cure" him. Once he started kinder and we had further visits with the child psychologist, we all came to the conclusion that "most likely" he is ADHD. We didn't do the brain wave test, but felt that with the systoms he was exhibiting that was most likely the case. Additionally, his father and half-sister are both ADHD.

Instead of going for a prescription drug, I went to the health food store. There I found ATTEND, which is a homeopathic drug made by VAXA. We had given him the homeopathic teething and gas tablets as a baby and they worked wonders, so I decided to try ATTEND.

We started him on 1 pill in the morning. The directions say to give it 6 weeks evaluate the results and up the dosage if you are not getting the results you want. I only gave it about 3 and upped his dosage to 2 pills in the morning. We immediately saw a change in his behavior report from school. Before, he could not sit still, concentrate, pay attention.

He has not had a stellar experience with his behavior throughout this school year. He would have a bad day and come home crying to me that so-and-so did it but he got in trouble for it. Well, the principal and I were talking one day when he got in trouble and I mentioned to her what he had been saying. A few of days later the other student was moved to another class. Low-and-behold my son's behavior report has sky rocketed. They have 5 levels. We would pray for number 3, the middle. With the exception of 2 days of him slipping up (one day of yelling in class and one day of farting, burping and laughing about it in class), he has had behavior in the number 1, 2, or maybe 3 spot, mainly #2 for the past month.

There are a million different approaches to how you treat your child. I like the ATTEND, it doesn't make him a zombie, he goes to sleep well, it's not stunting his growth, and he still eats like a horse which is good because he can't afford to loose any weight. He's skinny enough as it is. It's not an instant fix, it takes a few weeks to get into your system. He still has some problems with impulsiveness. But, generally we can stop him and simply ask, "Are you making a good choice or bad choice?" It might not stop him from pouting about the issue, but at least it gives him a moment to stop and think about how he is reacting.

Staying on top of who your child is around in class and elsewhere is very important too. I am a certified teacher currently substituting and I see how the addition or subtraction of just one person can totally change the behavior of one or more students in the class. I am glad that I listened to him and said something to the principal instead of just telling my son to take responsibility for his own actions. Yes, responsibility for your actions is important and too many people don't take it these days. But, I also know how easy it is for a teacher instantly blame the "difficult" student for all that goes bad in the room.

Ok, off my soap box now. My suggestion is to give the homeopathic medicine a try. It's not cheap, but it is working wonders for us without making me feel like a mom who is just "drugging" her child. Everyone has the right to their own choice and opinion, that is just mine.

K., I don't know about Vyvanse, but my 7 year old son has ADD/ADHD/ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder), I have had him on Adderall XR and it works really well for him. It's hard to say how the medications will affect the kids because each child is different. You want to get it strong enough to settle them down, but you don't want them to be a zombie either. I don't know if your doctor has explained this to you or not, but as he gets older his medication will have to be adjusted according to his age and weight. What works now might not work in a couple of years. So you might want to look at adjusting the medication dosage also. Hope this helps some!

Steph

Hi, K.

I have some things to share with you, but it would take too long to type. You can call me at: ###-###-####

K.,

I, too, can appreciate the struggles and heartache of having a child with Attention Deficit Disorder. My daughter is now grown but daily faces the challenge of her disorder. However, my message to you is one of HOPE. We, too, went down the road of a series of different medications, trying to find one that helped. That road was scary given all the side effects that could have (and some that did) happened. I'm not sure if Vyvanse was available when my daughter was younger, she was never prescribed that particular medication. We worked closely with her teachers to develop little things that insured her success in school. We were told by our pediatrician, who also has ADD, that a person must grow to develop habits that help deal with the disorder. My daughter worked on some things that helped but it wasn't enough. I recently introduced my daughter to an awesome healthy drink that is specifically designed to help with mental focus. She says is works great and my whole family loves it! So, I wanted to let you know that there are options out there that can benefit your son that are NOT drugs that may have harmful sides effects. I would be happy to talk with you more about the schooling tips, habits and mental focus drink if you are interested. I will be praying for you and your family as you are going through this trying journey.

K. M

Call me ###-###-####, I have unlimited long distance, I'll call you right back. I leave today at noon and won't be back until Sunday night.

My son is 10-1/2 and has been on Vyvanse (30mg) for about 6 months. For us, it has been fine. We have gone through Ritalin, Adderall and Concerta. Ritalin and Adderall were horrible. He was completely zoned out, living in a fog, and this was on a very small daily dose. Concerta was working well for 3 years, then it seemed as if we had to continue increasing the dose. We didn't like giving him so much, so our doctor recommended Vyvanse. Taking the minimum dose has been working well for us with no side effects.
We wish you all the best using Vyvanse.

I also agree that there are a lot of kids misdiagnosed with ADD. My son exhibited all the signs of ADD and was diagnosed by a phychologist, but even then, I refused the medications. What if he was misdiagnosed and I gave him those dangerous meds for nothing?? It haunted me.

I started him on really good vitamins (over a 95% absorption rate) and supplements, including grape seed antioxidants and Omega-3s and others. I also got rid of the toxic chemicals in my house. Just spraying Lysol in your home is exposing your family to dangerous phenols! Boy, going green really made a difference. I noticed just how much when my son spent the night at a friends house whose mother is a "compulsive" cleaner with those cleaners that have the toxic ingredients and chemicals in them. Even my son came home and said he felt really funny and his behavior got worse again.

Diet is also a way to help without medication. We eliminated gluten in his favorite foods, noodles and bread, and that seems to help too.

I have seen so many kids whose parents give them the ADD meds who just seemed zoned out alot of the time. It is a shame. I know there are parents who truly believe they are doing the right thing, but I don't. (My opinion.) There are so many good ways to handle the ADD symptoms without the dangerous meds. It may not be easy at first and it took a few months to see any changes in my son at first, but when they kicked in, it was awesome. My son is in 5th grade and is excelling.

He is not argumentative anymore and actually wants to do his homework! He still does forget things once in a while but having him keep a piece of paper with him to jot things down has worked.

I have a new product that I will be trying for him soon. It is a supplement that provides all the natural ingredients that your brain needs for optimum health! I haven't tried it yet as he is doing so well without it and I haven't wanted to upset the balance, but people are loving it.

Good luck. I hope you will at least look into the alternatives and give them a try. The store I shop at for all my toxic free products and vitamins and supplements is Melaleuca, Inc. The Wellness Company. I wouldn't live without this store!

1 / 3